Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Philippine rice damage on storms last week may exceed losses from two typhoons two years ago, Agriculture Undersecretary Antonio Fleta said in a phone interview today.
Typhoons Nesat and Nalgae destroyed at least 760,207 tons of rough rice or 11.7 percent of the nation’s expected harvest in the fourth quarter, Fleta said in an interview with DZMM radio early today.
In 2009, the Southeast Asian nation lost about 18 percent of its fourth quarter target of 6.48 million tons due to Typhoons Ketsana and Parma, which hit the country in late September to early October, the disaster coordinating council said in a report posted on its website.
“The extent of the damage may be larger,” Fleta said by phone. “We’re now in the middle of the planting season, unlike two years ago when we were able to harvest and recover most of the crops.”
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Cecilia Yap at firstname.lastname@example.org