Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Kenya’s government tightened security along its coastline after a foreign tourist was killed and two others were abducted from a beach resort in the northeast of the country, Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka said.
The measures include introducing 24-hour patrols along the East African nation’s 536-kilometer (333-mile) coast to prevent attacks from the sea, Musyoka told reporters today in the port city of Mombasa. Night fishing has also been banned, he said, urging foreign countries not to encourage their citizens to avoid traveling to Kenya.
“I am appealing to all the friendly states that have imposed travel advisories to lift them,” he said.
British tourist David Tebbutt was killed and his wife Judith was abducted last month at a resort in Kiwayu, 503 kilometers southeast of Nairobi, and is being held hostage in neighboring Somalia. On Oct. 1, Marie Dedieu, a 66-year-old disabled French woman, was kidnapped from a house on nearby Manda Island by armed gunmen from Somalia’s al-Shabaab rebel group, Tourism Minister Najib Balala said in a statement posted on his Twitter account.
The Lamu archipelago, where the incidents took place, is one of Kenya’s main attractions for tourists who generated 73.7 billion shillings ($729 million) for the country last year, the second-largest foreign-exchange earner after tea. The U.K. government changed its travel advice on Oct. 1 to recommend that visitors to Kenya avoid non-essential travel within 150 kilometers of the border with Somalia, where a civil war has raged for two decades.
Kenya is counting on a tripling of tourists to 3 million by 2015 to help achieve its goal of 10 percent economic growth.
--Editors: Paul Richardson, Ana Monteiro.
To contact the reporter on this story: Consolatah Lucas in Mombasa via Nairobi at email@example.com.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Paul Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.