Bloomberg News

Royal Navy Axes 1,020 Jobs in First Cuts, 350 Staff Forced Out

September 30, 2011

Sept. 30 (Bloomberg) -- The Royal Navy is trimming 1,020 jobs in its first round of cuts aimed at reducing Britain’s defense budget.

A third of the personnel, 350 people, are being fired, while the remainder applied to leave the service, the Ministry of Defense said in a statement posted on its website today.

“To those of you who have been selected for redundancy, I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for all you have contributed to the service and to the nation’s security,” Admiral Mark Stanhope said.

The plans to eliminate military posts were announced earlier this year as part of defense cuts aimed at narrowing Britain’s budget deficit. The program will see 11,000 redundancies across the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force by April 2015.

The Royal Navy is seeking to cut its size to about 30,000 people, a reduction of 5,000. A third will be achieved by not replacing people who leave, meaning as many as 3,250 will be fired, the defense ministry said. About 920 soldiers and 930 RAF personnel were told this month they were losing their jobs.

No one serving in Afghanistan or off the coast of Libya will be forced out of their job “within a specified timeframe,” the ministry said.

Prime Minister David Cameron says the defense cuts have been made worse by the need to plug 38 billion pounds ($59 billion) of unfunded spending commitments inherited from the previous Labour government.

--Editors: James Hertling, Leon Mangasarian

To contact the reporter on this story: Andrew Atkinson in London at a.atkinson@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: James Hertling at jhertling@bloomberg.net


Coke's Big Fat Problem
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus