Bloomberg News

McGraw-Hill, CME in Talks to Combine Index Businesses, WSJ Says

September 29, 2011

Sept. 29 (Bloomberg) -- McGraw-Hill Cos. and CME Group Inc. are in talks to combine their index businesses, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

The talks are focusing on Standard & Poor’s Indices and Dow Jones indexes, the Journal said, and McGraw-Hill would be the largest stakeholder and manage the venture under McGraw-Hill Markets. Under the terms being discussed, CME would have about 25 percent of the business and Dow Jones & Co. might have a “minimal” stake, the newspaper said.

The discussions have been going on for more than a year and could still fall apart, the Journal said. CME owns 90 percent of Dow Jones Indexes, while Dow Jones parent News Corp. has the remaining 10 percent, after a deal announced in February 2010.

Laurie Bischel, a spokeswoman at CME Group, said in an e- mail that the company doesn’t comment on rumor or speculation. McGraw-Hill spokeswoman Patti Rockenwagner declined to comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: Joanna Ossinger in New York at jossinger@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Julie Alnwick at jalnwick@bloomberg.net


Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus