Bloomberg News

Former IMF Head Strauss-Kahn Returns Home After Charges Dropped

September 04, 2011

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former head of the International Monetary Fund, returned to his home in Paris today after sexual-assault charges against him were dropped in New York last month.

Strauss-Kahn, 62, and his wife Anne Sinclair arrived at their home on the Place des Vosges square in the French capital’s central Marais district this morning after an overnight flight from New York, televised images on TF1’s LCI news channel showed.

Charges against Strauss-Kahn, who had been accused of sexually assaulting a hotel maid, were dropped on Aug. 23 after New York prosecutors said the maid lied repeatedly to them and others. Strauss-Kahn had been a leading contender to run for president of France before his arrest in May.

“All the socialists know that, at some point or the other, the word of Dominique Strauss-Kahn will be a major trump card for the left,” Jean-Marie Le Guen, a French lawmaker, said in an interview on LCI, commenting on Strauss-Kahn’s return.

Strauss-Kahn arrived with Sinclair at Charles de Gaulle airport, where he advanced through a crowd of journalists before stepping into a black Peugeot car that took him home, TF1 images showed. The former IMF head won’t make any declaration to the media today, his spokeswoman Anne Hommel told journalists at Place des Vosges.

Strauss-Kahn still faces a civil suit by the New York maid, Nafissatou Diallo. Investigators in France are also probing allegations that Strauss-Kahn tried to rape writer Tristane Banon eight years ago, a claim he has denied.

Banon filed a criminal complaint against Strauss-Kahn in July, saying he assaulted her in February 2003 when she went to interview him for a book. Strauss-Kahn, a former French finance minister, has filed a complaint with Paris prosecutors accusing Banon of slander.

--Editors: James Kraus, Louis Meixler

To contact the reporter on this story: Rudy Ruitenberg in Paris at rruitenberg@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Claudia Carpenter at ccarpenter2@bloomberg.net.


Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus