Abi Titmuss, a U.K. model, sued News Corp. (NWS:US)’s News of the World over allegations that the newspaper hacked into her phone messages.
The July 12 lawsuit was filed against News Corp. (NWSA:US)’s U.K. unit and Glenn Mulcaire, the investigator jailed in 2007 for tapping into phones of the members of the British royal family.
News Corp. has been sued by more than two dozen actors, politicians and athletes over phone-hacking claims. The scandal widened last week after allegations that a 13-year-old murder victim was among those whose phone was hacked, prompting News Corp. to close the tabloid newspaper and drop its bid for full control of British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc.
Daisy Dunlop, a spokeswoman for News Corp.’s U.K. unit, said she was aware that Titmuss had filed a claim and declined to comment further.
Titmuss’s agent, Kate O’Shea, said her client filed the claim after being informed by police that her phone messages were intercepted.
A group of celebrities and public figures, including actor Jude Law and former soccer star Paul Gascoigne, are scheduled to bring a test case over the phone-hacking issue in January.
The case is: Titmuss v. News Group Newspapers, No. HC11C02402, High Court of Justice Chancery Division
To contact the reporter on this story: Kit Chellel in London firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at email@example.com