(Adds comment from Gray’s law firm in fifth paragraph.)
June 21 (Bloomberg) -- News Corp.’s U.K. unit will pay sports commentator Andy Gray 20,000 pounds ($32,400) to settle a lawsuit over phone hacking at the company’s News of the World newspaper.
Gray is the second person to settle his case with the newspaper. Actress Sienna Miller accepted 100,000 pounds plus costs earlier this month.
More than two dozen politicians, celebrities and athletes are suing New York-based News Corp. over the more than four- year-old phone-hacking scandal. The company apologized and offered to settle some of the cases in April after journalists linked to the paper were arrested as part of a police investigation.
“News Group Newspapers announces today that it has reached an agreement with Andy Gray to pay him 20,000 pounds in damages plus undisclosed costs,” the unit said in an e-mailed statement. “This concludes the action Andy Gray was taking against NGN over voice mail interception in relation to the News of the World.”
Gray’s law firm, Schillings, described the settlement as “substantial.”
“When Andy first contacted the News of the World about this matter it denied any liability,’’ Schillings partner John Kelly said in a statement. “Andy was forced to issue legal proceedings and had to fight tooth and nail to establish that he had been the victim of unlawful phone hacking.”
--Editors: Anthony Aarons, Christopher Scinta
To contact the reporter on this story: James Lumley in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at email@example.com