1. ProLogis (PLD) and AMB Property, the two biggest industrial real estate trusts in the U.S., announced a $16.5 billion merger. The combined company will manage some $46 billion in assets.
2. Massey Energy, whose Upper Big Branch Mine in West Virginia was the site in April of the worst U.S. coal mining disaster in 40 years, sold itself to Alpha Natural Resources (ANR) for $7.1 billion.
3. Ivory Coast defaulted on $2.3 billion in Eurobonds. The African nation has been in a political stalemate since incumbent President Laurent Gbagbo and his rival Alassane Ouattara both claimed victory in November elections.
7. Hearst made an $889 million cash offer for the international magazine portfolio of French publishing group Lagardère, which counts the American edition of Elle and Car and Driver among its titles.
9. Host Hotels & Resorts (HST) bought the 775-room New York Helmsley Hotel in midtown Manhattan for $313.5 million and plans to turn it into a Westin.
10. A large-scale Titian canvas titled A Sacra Coversazione fetched $16.9 million at a Sotheby's (BID) sale in New York, setting an auction record for the artist.