Five Answers From Tim Brown, IDEO

Posted by: Helen Walters on December 18, 2008

Tim Brown from IDEO came into see us here at BusinessWeek in New York earlier this week, and graciously answered five reader questions. Thanks to all for some really smart submissions — it was really hard to whittle it down to just five. Here’s the video:

j david

December 19, 2008 10:30 AM

Thank you Helen, nicely done!

Paolo Passeri

December 19, 2008 5:01 PM

Tim and Helen, thanks for picking and answering my question!

I'm really pleased it got picked, and the answer I'm sure will help me bring Desing Thinking into my workplace and in the future my organization.

Happy Hollidays to all....!!!

Paolo

BW.com Editor-in-Chief John A. Byrne

December 20, 2008 9:33 AM

Fantastic job Helen. And to Tim, thanks so much for your smart insights.

Adam Schorr

December 21, 2008 8:10 PM

Good interview. But the contrast between "design thinking" which is open-minded, externally-focused and all about possibilities, and "traditional business thinking" which assumes it already has all the possibilities, is rather hackneyed and inaccurate.

Perhaps there is such a thing as "design thinking" but I have yet to hear it defined sensibly and usefully. If Tim Brown cannot articulate a definition of "design thinking" then I suspect nobody can. I wonder if "design thinking" is really just design skill informed by creative thinking. Big difference.

Christopher

December 23, 2008 12:37 AM

Can we get captioning or a transcript please? Not all of your audience is hearing. Or can watch video at work. Thanks!

anel palafox

January 28, 2010 3:53 PM

Hi, I know this is an old video but I'd like to watch it.

Any chance you guys could put it up again?

Thanks!

What comes next? The Bloomberg Businessweek Innovation and Design blog chronicles new tools for creativity and collaboration, innovation case studies in both the corporate and social sectors, and the new ideas that have the power to change the way things have always been done.