Doodle 4 Google winner

Posted by: Helen Walters on May 22, 2008

A while ago, my colleague Aili McConnon wrote a sweet piece about the man behind the Google Doodle, the guy who customizes the look of the search engine’s logo on a seemingly daily basis. I just caught a post on the Unbeige blog about a 6th grader from Castro Valley in California winning this year’s “Doodle 4 Google” competition, challenging students to come up with their take. Her sunny creation, below, is on the home page all day today.

us_doodle4google08.gif

But you know what this reminded me of… how I haven’t actually seen the front page of Google in forever. Don’t know about you, but I use the Google bar embedded in my browser window. So I open Firefox and can Google then and there. As far as I’m concerned, the Google home page is pretty much the front page of any search enquiry. I’m not really sure if this is important, but somehow it’s interesting to be reminded of how systems and processes become second nature — and a previous way of doing something suddenly seems so archaic.

rebecca

July 13, 2008 2:27 PM

the theme is sapost to be wat if !!!! and thats not it!!! mine should win!!!!!! so thats not fair

louise

January 29, 2009 7:19 AM

i think that this is a brilliant idea

unknown

March 2, 2009 2:07 PM

That is such a great google logo! That 6th grader is a great artist!!

Bella Smith

March 4, 2009 4:48 PM

this is a gorgeous example of what google was looking for. Grace has symoblized in her picture what google wanted, what caused google to launch this competition. Thank you Grace, for your imaginative mind!

Amanda

March 14, 2009 11:24 AM

Ok is this from 2009? Because the theme is what the future should look like.

???? Someone

March 15, 2009 9:15 PM

I don't understand. This is not that great. U give this kid the title? Man is this a joke?

The IDK Guy

March 15, 2009 9:17 PM

I don't think that's fair rebecca. Don't be a brat or something if he won then he won. Don't be a sore loser.

some one special

March 16, 2009 12:37 PM

i wouild like to know who won for 2009 bc our school did it and we havnt had any cum baks on the awnser

Helen Walters

March 16, 2009 12:48 PM

Hi all, Note that this post was written around the 2008 competition. The deadline for entry to the 2009 competition (theme: "what I wish for the world") is March 31, 2009. The winning doodle will have its moment in the Google home page sun on May 21, 2009. For more details, see http://www.google.com/doodle4google/index.html

N'Dea

March 25, 2009 6:03 PM

i just dont like it no offense

Bla

March 29, 2009 2:52 PM

I wish they would announce the 2009 winners. I don't really like the drawing. I have seen better and my school has a really good one and it is way better than that. NO OFFENSE!

Tiffani

April 22, 2009 12:57 PM

Mines should win1 mines was the best! i loved mine! not tobe all conceited but..ive seen better...way better!!!!that looks familiar and stupid! id on tlike it1 AND NOW IM PISSED!

tiara

April 22, 2009 4:22 PM

I'm a 6th Grader and thanx. She used to go to me school mate's. I'm in Englan', and FROM Englan'. Plea' excuse me accent.

None

April 25, 2009 7:32 PM

yall all acting like sore losers get over it yall sone brats plus dont boast about yours Tiffani because it probaly dont even look ll that great!!1

anaonamsdfdf

April 29, 2009 7:10 PM

hey, is this the 2009 winner? or wat?

hahaha

April 30, 2009 4:00 PM

this is a good idea. but i dont know what the what if.... is sooooo. Im in the 2009 doodls for google and mine is really good we willl have to see who winss BLA!

Secret

May 2, 2009 12:56 PM

I really like that picture, but it's DOODLE for google. In case you haven't noticed, doodle means draw. You did that picture on the internet! I entered this year through my school and I DREW it. Atleast I'M being fair!

Victoria

May 3, 2009 6:11 PM

Hey, you ppl who are being huge jerks about Grace's drawing are stupid. For a 6th grader that is good. May God bless Grace forever and ever!! P.S.- (the IDK guy said Grace was a he. She's a she..) also, this theme is from 2208. (2009's theme will be posted May 21st) - and people stop boasting about yours. We'll wait and see who wins. I'm in the same competition, and I don't think that's nice.

Small town southern gurl

May 5, 2009 5:21 PM

Man, that is a pretty cool pic. my class entered in the doodle for google contest. Hahaha. It would be awesome if someone or even me would have won. We are such a small place....

soupisyum

May 6, 2009 8:42 PM

Well my school is doing it and mine got sent in. so far the 2009 winners have not been announced.hmmm... this could take a while.:)

Demi

May 8, 2009 12:37 PM

First of all, to "Secret," mine is drawn on the computer because it's ALLOWED.
Everyone should stop being sore losers and acknowledge that Grace did a great job and her idea for a sunny ideal world is a beautiful concept.

I hope I win for 2009! This is mine:

Pburg

May 8, 2009 12:56 PM

I'm entered in the 2009 contest as well. They said that the top 400 and 40 would be notified today (May 8). Has anyone heard anything yet?

Anonymous

May 8, 2009 3:19 PM

Wow i didn't know we jumped to the future in 2208, jk. I know it was a typo but we needed comic relief right?

First off "secret", i have e secret for you. One can DOODLE on the computer. The Asian guy who does the doodles does it on the computer. He is really good. If you read the instructions it is allowed. May be you should try it next year. Its very challenging if you don't have computer drawing skills but the results are wonderful. And demi, i agree with you.
And lastly, the state finalists and national finalists are going to be notified today, Don't know if my email or phone. Prob both. Good luck to all, and stop the whining and crying and boasting and anger issues.

Mitch

May 8, 2009 5:11 PM

Okay, its May 8th. Theyre supposed to announce the regional winners. When is that gonna happen?

RnDm

May 8, 2009 5:43 PM

Demi's right, Secret. My school entered the contest too, and computer/tablet drawings ARE ALLOWED.
And Demi, best of luck to you! :D Mine was sent in as well, but I don't have a picture of it (D:).

Nicole

May 8, 2009 5:57 PM

ok this pic is pretty good. it might not be hand drawn but give the girl credit. she tried and won. did ya'll? didn't think so!
PS: I didn't submit one

nicole

May 8, 2009 6:00 PM

maybe this pic isn't awesome, but the girl tried. you gotta give her some credit. I mean really- did you win? Didnt think so. And Tiffany, I bet yours stinks compared to a 3 year old- you selfish brat

Rachel

May 8, 2009 8:21 PM

Grace's idea was great and I think she is a very smart girl. You all like "Secret" shouldn't be sore losers, be proud you even got to do the Google for doodle. some people can't.

I can't wait to see who won this year!!!!!!!

firwework

May 10, 2009 2:01 PM

i love hers,did any one win in 5th grade?i did one about world peace,on fourth of July every one is happy,so i did one with fire works so everybody would stay happy."what if the world was always happy?

debra

May 11, 2009 12:08 PM

Wonder if the top 400 will get any recognition-and if the people at google will at the very least send a letter to all of the children who did NOT get their art work and talent recognized.

Helen Walters

May 11, 2009 1:03 PM

Hi again,
Today, May 11, Google announced the 400 state finalists and 40 regional winners. You can vote for the 2009 National Finalists here: http://www.google.com/doodle4google/vote.html
Good luck, all!
Helen

randy sullivan

May 14, 2009 4:22 PM

i think this drawing sucks i think this guy who drew graffiti art should win

Wise Turtle

May 15, 2009 8:22 PM

It's simple yet elegant. The sun says something to me. I'm sure there were many other entries which required far greater skills and certainly more work but maybe that's not what google's looking for. Maybe they want someone who poured their heart and soul into it rather than a merciless, competitor who enters for the sole purpose of outdoing his neighbor. Wallowing in the past and what could have or should have been is not useful or constructive to the matter at hand. As the famous quote says "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". Next year when you're able to enter again is only as far away as you make it. About 365 days? Thousands of hours? Or just an artistic, personally meaningful idea sporting the google logo just waiting to be submitted? May my words rest on your soul as you contemplate your idea for next year's competition, Ponder them, you may find yourself in the process...

lizzie

May 16, 2009 8:02 PM

ill rebeca get a life and dont be jeolous just cuz u didnt win...please urs sucked!

Kenan James

June 8, 2009 1:44 AM

Ummm.... let's see. it's June 8, and have I heard anything about the winner of the 2009 contest? NO! LOL. They just wait and wait and wait to tell us. I really want 2 know.

P.S. Good Job, Gracie!

Claire

July 7, 2009 12:12 PM

its good, jusdt not creative, it seems just unoriginal. I think one needs to be un-pperfect that drawing is nice just not for this occasion.

ale bake

August 13, 2009 3:10 PM

please, you think thats good! a 3rd grader can do bettter!

Awesome person

September 5, 2009 3:58 AM

Who cares if it's not the correct theme, that's amazing!!! and a 3rd grader could NOT do better, in 3rd grade they draw nothing as meaningful and beautiful as that!!

THE BEST FREAKN EDITOR

March 17, 2010 3:20 PM

OMG Who cares this person won, and i bet their thrilled, now all you'all sore losers GET OVER IT!!!!!!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF BRATS, THIS IS A GOOD DRAWING, NOW SHUT UP AND BE THANKFUL THAT GOOGLE EVEN EXISTS, GOD LOVES US ALL SO DONT YOU DO ANYTHING STUPID!!!!!!!

kennedy

May 17, 2010 8:29 PM

my child in third grade made one and i was extremly inpressed