Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Demo Request


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Bloomberg Customers

If Microsoft + Yahoo! = Microhoo!? Can it be as cool as Google?

Posted by: Reena Jana on February 1, 2008

With news of Microsoft’s $44.6 billion bid to buy Yahoo!, can you help but wonder, will the new Microhoo! (or whatever shape the new entity or entities take) be able to take on Google’s cool factor? (I believe that’s the longest phrase I’ve ever written with so many consecutive “oo“‘s.)

I’m not just talking about perceived coolness. But what about design? How will the new company approach user interfaces and the like? What opportunities might lie ahead in this arena for the new entity, with such a huge stage and everyone, including Google, paying rapt attention to any sort of re-design for their sites?

Reader Comments


February 4, 2008 12:43 PM

This is the most foolish move by microsoft. Nothing in the world can change some one from stop using google and insted search on microsoft.


February 4, 2008 1:28 PM

you are wrong my friend. the moment there comes a search engine that provides the best results, you will move to it. everyone is in need of the most accurate information for their searches. right now, that's google. tomorrow it could be microsoft or someone else altogether. relevance is king.


February 4, 2008 1:30 PM

What will purchasing Yahoo achieve for Microsoft? Yahoo's search technology does not rival Google, which is why users already switch to using Google. Google records 70% of all searches, Yahoo 17%, and Microsoft 3%. Combining YHOO and MSFT will give them 20% of the search market. Bad move by MSFT because neither of them has the technology right now to compete with Google.


February 4, 2008 1:44 PM

simply put, no they can't match google, even as microhhhhhhhhhoooooya


February 4, 2008 1:47 PM

Google has grown to dominate search because it has been far superior to Yahoo! and Microsoft in striking distribution deals that bring in many more advertisers and much more traffic. But an important contributor to consolidating that advantage has been Google's ability to rapidly design, release, improve, and in some cases abandon products.

In contrast, Yahoo! has been much slower at that cycle, which has contributed to falling behind. Microsoft is legendary for the snail's pace and complicated methodologies employed in engineering products (Vista, anyone?). So expect things to slow down even more if this deal goes through.

Good design results from an inspired flash followed by long periods of small, craftsmanlike refinement. Without that rapid development cycle of quickly getting things out (before all the inspiration can committeed out) followed by continual real-world improvement, I don't think there's much chance of good designs coming out of the Microhoo.

So, no, don't expect Google to lose it's cool factor to this new behemoth. They're much more vulnerable to attack from a new startup freed of the bloat that's starting to bog down even Google.

dave w

February 4, 2008 3:37 PM

people are funny.. jealous idiots, complaining about Microsoft buying Yahoo; I've seen this coming for years and have said so, and it isn't totally about search..

You know Microsoft invested in Apple and that's what saved the company? Bet you insecure, selfish turds didn't know that

Post a comment



What comes next? The Bloomberg Businessweek Innovation and Design blog chronicles new tools for creativity and collaboration, innovation case studies in both the corporate and social sectors, and the new ideas that have the power to change the way things have always been done.

BW Mall - Sponsored Links

Buy a link now!