Designing without a Client

Posted by: Reena Jana on October 18, 2007

Design firms such as Seattle’s Teague, which works with Boeing, Microsoft, and Nike among other corporations, are increasingly encouraging employees to hatch product ideas without a client. While I’m not out in San Francisco for the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design’s major conference this week (but check out future blog posts by BusinessWeek editors Bruce Nussbaum and Helen Walters who are there), I’ve heard that Teague’s new strategy for encouraging creativity among its staff is gaining a lot of attention among attendees.

Basically, Teague designers are producing goods that they design not for their big-name clients, but instead on their own. One new product that is turning heads at the ICSID event is Teague’s Paperclip Lamp, which was designed by Teague’s associate creative director, David Wykes, and industrial designer, Benoit Collette.

papercliplamp-full.jpg

It looks like, well, a giant paperclip, and can be bent in all sorts of configurations -- just like the regular paperclip that inspired it. The iconic shape suggests the enduring appeal of a simple, elegantly practical design. And how such an icon's form factor can influence other industrial design projects.

It's the first Teague-sponsored design to debut as a product, and was shown first at the Seattle Design Within Reach Northwestern Lighting Exhibition and is on view at the Korean Gwangju Design Biennale 2007.

The project reminds me of a story I recently reported, on the conceptual Charmr diabetes device created by designers at San Francisco's Adaptive Path in between jobs for clients. Currently, Adaptive Path says the firm has been fielding inquiries by venture capitalists.

I can't help but think of 3M's classic 15% rule -- that to innovate, companies need to give employees time to work on ideas other than work, while at work, to use corporate resources to venture out into imaginative new directions and come up with cool new products. Why not design firms, too -- without clients?

Gaetano Marano

October 22, 2007 9:38 AM

off-topic but interesting...

the #1 "Space Business" will be "water"

...find water, extract water, store water, split water to produce oxygen and LOX/LH2 engines' propellents...

and my latest suggestion is to use the lunar craters as ISRU water stores:

bourgogne allard

October 23, 2007 7:45 PM

Don't you mean the practice of designing for free to keep up with Asia...?

This is nothing more than design for design sake. Kind of cute in a way...but not worth much.

Any professional effort that is done pro bono is not worth anything in the market...and is merely a PR exercise.

It is a fabulous PR exercise however. Gwangju Biennale...5 stars! Gwangju rules as a future design hub!

Rapidshare

April 8, 2008 8:10 AM

I completely agree with all that here is told
So you can find the information on it on my search resource

Tatiana hunts

April 14, 2008 9:52 AM

I have found two interesting sources and would like to give the benefit of my experience to you.
I am tuning my pc by the best software for free, with the file search engine http://fileshunt.com and http://filesfinds.com . May be you have your own experience and could give some useful sites too. Because this two social sites help me much.

Natasha

October 28, 2008 5:20 PM

Another site for rapida
myfilefind.com or myrapida.com

sdfgh

April 15, 2009 10:47 AM

Fantastic thank you. Find the files you are looking for at http://all-shares.com the most comprehensive source for free-to-try files downloads on the Web

addqwe

August 9, 2009 12:16 PM

Hi all
Thanks
I have found two interesting sources http://www.rapidsharedata.com and
http://www.rapidmore.com and would like to give the benefit of my experience to you.