Obama wants you to come to dinner

Posted by: Jessi Hempel on June 13, 2007

Okay, fine, he wants you to give him some cash. And if you agree to donate as little as $5, you qualify to win the chance to be one of five people he has over for dinner. He delivers this invitation via video - you can find it on Youtube and on his Facebook profile. I’ve watched it several times now because I think it’s an example of internet video that really works.

Here’s why: Obama is authentic yet unpolished. He sounds like a politician - which is good, because he is a politician. But the background is casual, the camera feels amateurish, and he stumbles a few times. I appreciate it. It’s not Hillary Clinton, whose videos feel more like traditional tv.

I spoke to Andrew Rasiej, cofounder of the Techpresident blog today, and he stressed that candidates haven’t really figured out yet that every camera is not television. Internet video is much much different. He pointed to UK politician David Cameron as a politician who really gets internet video. Check it out.

Barb H

June 14, 2007 1:47 AM

Attention: If anyone knows when Obama is coming again to Phila, Pa. or its surrounding suburbs, please let me know. I think He's A Winner!!! He is Intelligent, Well-Spoken...(A talent we have not heard since the Bill Clinton Days!).
People say He is not "experienced".(???)
What does that mean? Does it mean that we want him to become so adept at politics that He compromises his Soul?
I DON'T THINK SO!

donald okumu

June 14, 2007 2:37 AM

highly appreciated

Catriona

June 14, 2007 7:58 AM

This is just brilliant! Obama really seems to have his finger on the pulse of the younger generation of voters. This is going to go a long way for him.

Gaurav Singh

June 14, 2007 12:37 PM

Obama is the frontrunner in the presidential campaign.He is a leader who believe in producing results rather than merely promising the nation for a better tommorrow like most of our lame politicians do today for e.g. he is the first one to propose a healthcare plan and as expected politicians are already taking turns in criticizing his plan rather than appreciating the thought that he atleast acknowledges one of the few big issues that is marring the reputation of this country globally.Ofcourse nothing even comes close to issues like Iraq,Energy etc but rather than supporting and working together these stupid politicians are wasting their time critiquing each other just to gain popularity.

Kris Mansour

June 14, 2007 12:42 PM

Being 21 years old I hadn't really given Obama too much thought before the last few weeks. You would think I would love him, right? Unfortunately, I felt too much like he was a product manufactured for my vote (being of the younger persuasion) but the times seem to be shifting.

The problem now is that he is just too good at playing to the things that I like. Obama has my support from this point forward. I like his attention to people like me...I felt incredibly neglected and isolated with this past election.

I think the nation wants a change. Whether it be for Iraq "war", health care, or poverty...things are changing and we need to open our eyes. I would hope both sides of the fence would take advice and just listen...when you boil it down we all have to eat and be treated. Obama has is ear to the ground and I really like that about him.

I think it is going to really pay off for him. I am pumped.

The only problem is his previous drug use. This will be exploited to the fullest...also he smokes. It is sad, but I am sure decisions and ideas will be stemmed from his past mistakes. Go Obama.

Kris Mansour
Editor-In-Chief ADayInReview.com

Kris Mansour

June 14, 2007 12:44 PM

I think it is going to really pay off for him. I am pumped.

Kris Mansour
Editor-In-Chief ADayInReview.com

Don Evans

June 14, 2007 11:55 PM

Have you read his book, “The Audacity of Hope.” It’s all JFK stuff. You know, theory and ideas but no practical plans. Just look at his web site. There is not one piece of legislation mentioned but there a lots of ideas. The country needs practical plans for a real world.

If this man is nominated as the candidate for the Democratic Party there will be many independents that will support a Republican.

Rob Young

June 26, 2007 2:49 PM

The US needs someone who will adress the issues at large domestically and turn less of the focus to externalities. Just because Obama is young and "gets" the net (which he should, if he's so young) does not mean that he has any practical political experience. No one said to sell his soul, he just needs to get an applicable reference on his resume, if he is as good and pure as is thought then he will not falter anyways, right? US needs another clinton, not another JFK.

Jeff

July 7, 2007 10:13 AM

"Baby Obama" is a slickly packaged politican who says what you want to hear without meaning it. If he really cared for the common man why would he sponosor, support and pass a bill allowing Banks to charge "3000%" APR for Credit Card defaulters. Most of his large early campaign money came from these banking sources.

The younger generation are a bit naive by fawning over him. But given the typical short attention span of Americans, were style counts more than substance his popularity is hardly surprising.