Rotten Apple

Posted by: Helen Walters on May 31, 2007

Ok, that’s not entirely fair. I love Apple. Their products make sense and I can use them easily. But here’s my bugbear. For all that everyone raves about what a brilliant piece of design the iPod is, and for all the ads make me think I might look cool if I danced around groovily, the headphones drive me nuts. Where am I meant to put them when I’m not listening? I do what I guess everyone does —wrap them around the player, which (first) completely kills the sleek aesthetic but (second and much worse) means the headphones break on a regular basis. (Spot who had a moment on the subway this morning).

So now I've got sound coming out of one ear because the connection got knocked. Apple implemented a cool way of tidying up the power cord for a computer so that it's out of the way, but why can't there be some system built into the iPod design? I'm probably way behind the argument on this one, but I've been asking around and have mainly met with a resounding 'huh, didn't think of that.' So now I have to go to the Apple store, which is a great retail experience I'm not going to enjoy because I'm forced to go and buy a replacement for something which should still work. And that feels like a waste of time and makes me mad. Ok. Rant over.

Ed

June 1, 2007 5:03 AM

Try getting the rubberized head phone holders... it is a piece of plastic you use to coil the head phones around while not in use. They sell them at the Apple stores in designer colors;keep your head phones from being damaged and prevents them from getting all tangled up, which is MY peeve!

Will Smith

June 1, 2007 7:00 AM

Get a life, help someone who needs help!

Helen

June 1, 2007 8:59 AM

Dear Ed. Thanks for the tip -- I'll check them out this weekend. Dear Will Smith. Thanks for the life advice!

Ramsub

June 1, 2007 9:13 AM

Alternatively, as the iPod is all about accessories, you could just get a pair of Sennheisers or something that comes with a case. The problematic Apple phones - please mail them to me right away, as mine are looking a bit sorry for themselves right now, and I need a new pair :-)

Helen

June 1, 2007 9:18 AM

Dear Ramsub. There's certainly a flourishing economy of companies that have sprung up to accessorize Apple products. But given that Apple prides itself on being all about its attention to the little details, its own solution to a crucial part of the user experience seems somehow lacking. But thanks for the tip -- now it's a challenge and I can enjoy looking for the perfect solution. :)

Larry

June 1, 2007 5:15 PM

I have the tangle problem. No matter how I coil them, the cord ends up in a knot...And I don't want ANOTHER accessory. I want wireless headphones that pick up MY ipod and no one else's...a dream not yet realized by Mr. Jobs.

divax

June 1, 2007 7:49 PM

itunes drives me nuts. It is very unresponsive and slow.

David

June 4, 2007 8:53 AM

Worse than the headphones is the fact that you purchase a beautiful piece of technology and then have to cover in clunky plastic or leather, totally obscuring its design, in order to protect it from damage.