EA Unleashes Spore Creature Creator

Posted by: Matt Vella on June 18

Electronic Arts has released the so-called Spore Creature Creator, which allows players to generate infinitely varied 3D critters and interact with them. It’s a tantalizing, obscenely fun preview of the company’s upcoming God-game. Download it here (immediately!) and prepare for your productivity to evaporate almost instantly.

The Creature Creator isn’t so much of a demo or a beta of Spore as it is a major component of the game, ripped from the rest, and released for free. Players can pick from various body parts — stretching, molding, and modifying each — to tweak virtual creatures. Nearly every detail is up for grabs, from how many mouths the critter has to its coloring. (I dubbed this one Mr. Stick; see the video below.) Depending on the character’s shape, the game automatically computes how it moves, sounds, and behaves. My initial impression: nearly endless customization. And fun.

EA’s strategy here is a smart one. This is the best demo for Spore possible. Instead of a same-old, same-old one or two-level taste, the Creature Creator is a fully baked product. The gamelette even allows you to upload videos of your creatures to YouTube as well as create FaceBook-like profiles for them. And, this isn’t the first time EA has previewed a highly anticipated game with a free preview of one component. It did something similar with The Sims 2, its best-selling people simulator, by releasing the game’s character customizing module early.

BW: Spore Creature Creator from Matt Vella on Vimeo.

Jsn

June 18, 2008 01:17 PM

I've tried out the trial of the C.C. for Spore and it's great fun, but the full version is yet to be seen anywhere on the site, simply a link to ea online store, with a "pre-order" button you can click on, when it was supposed to be released yesterday. (Trial = 20% of all body parts, full version for 9.99$ = 100% of parts)

Mike

June 18, 2008 01:34 PM

Yeah, I bought it, but still waiting for the 'Download' to be active...

Aaron

June 18, 2008 02:16 PM

I bought the pre-order and am waiting for a download link as well.

Mr.Mustard

June 18, 2008 02:38 PM

Same. Everything says that the game is out, but the download link is missing and the bloody EA download manager just sits there blank.

Charles

June 18, 2008 02:43 PM

Highly recommend against downloading from EA's store. Their download manager is a mess, many people have reported being unable to log into Spore while the download manager is active and dire warnings attempt to prevent users from uninstalling the manager.

Of note: you can run the full Creature Creator without download manager active, ignore the warnings that it's needed to control activation of the spore system and let's hope that any patches that come out are released in separate executables off of the download manager concept.

In my opinion, EA has really dropped the ball on this product release. I hope they get their act together before the full game comes out.

TLink

June 18, 2008 08:19 PM

I tried to order the full version, but noticed that the security alert in the browser reported unverified content on the credit page. Yikes!

Jsn

June 19, 2008 05:56 AM

June 18th @ say around 3:30pm
Spore Creature Creator Full version is available for download from the EAstore.
poped up in the download manager, download was quick, install was easy, and still got to keep my creatures from the trial version. Finally ^_^ Works Great !! Made myself a neat lookin little drake last night :)

Jon

June 21, 2008 07:32 AM

I downloaded the full version last night and it refuses to play. I get the splash panel, then the screen goes blank and it returns to the desktop. I have checked every requirment and it still doesn't bloody work. THIS is why I ditched PC gaming and went to the consoles. I cannot be bothered dealing with this half-arsed service. EA sort it out.

raul

June 24, 2008 03:22 PM

Yeah, I bought it

raul

June 24, 2008 03:22 PM

Yeah, I bought it

Busby Seo Challenge

July 3, 2008 11:43 AM

great post, nice one thanks. http://pinayspeak.com

onlie

July 16, 2008 01:15 AM

hola a todos y todas. en el spore para hacer que tu bicho camine por el planeta atacando a otros como se hace? contestad

jack

July 16, 2008 01:17 AM

hola a todos. ¿para jugar de manera que tu bicho recorra el planet entero y atacando a otros como se hace?

lilbenjio

September 1, 2008 04:54 PM

i bought the creature creator 2 day from ea i said it had to be downloaded through there active download system so i downloaded that first after paying for the package and low an behold there downloader isnt compatable with macs even though the game is what is that about ??????

Thank you for your interest. This blog is no longer active.

No longer child's play, the booming global games market is worth billions of dollars. In Games, Inc., BusinessWeek Innovation writer Matt Vella and Tokyo correspondent Kenji Hall analyze emerging business trends in video games and interactive entertainment. They’ll examine everything from button-mashing, chart-topping, console games to serious games commissioned by big corporations to train staff. They’ll also map the evolution of expansive virtual worlds and go behind the strategies at companies that are turning play into big business.