Will The Real Master Chief Please Stand Up

Posted by: Matt Vella on March 25

MasterChiefs.jpgHere’s the thing about user generated content…it has a gnarly penchant for mixing, mashing up, and re-mixing without much regard for traditional boundaries. These two highly polygonal Master Chief models from Bungie Studios’ Halo 3 are a tantalizing example of what could be in store as console games start opening up and letting devoted players tinker with the bits inside.

User generated content for console games is still in its relative infancy compared to PC titles. (By the end of the year, however, that will have drastically changed.) One interesting milestone is Epic Games’ Unreal Tournament 3. The Unreal series of first person shooters has been around for nearly a decade now and the community of players creating levels, modifications, and character models is tightly-knit. This latest version, which was released last fall, includes the ability for PS3 users to use the user generated content of PC players, a rather innovative feature.

Enter our Master Chiefs. To the right we have Microsoft’s (MSFT) official, sanctioned, and heavily copyrighted incarnation. To the left, we have the product of creative and talented Unreal modders. In other words, thanks to user generated content the company’s much-prized, exclusive hero is crossing over to Sony’s (SNE) Playstation 3. (If you own the game, you can download the model here.)

Of course, this is just one character model in a completely different title. Still, it’s a harbinger of things to come as gamers get more control.

Jason

March 26, 2008 06:35 PM

=P But now people will start whining that in this pic, the official looks better. Though you guys ARE comparing a handycam shot to official touched-up promo artwork. I personally think Unreal suits the armor better, though the visor could've used some tweaking.

But yes, this sounds like an awesome idea. I just wish people would start making even more of these lovely items, but not just ripped from other games. I mean characters straight from the modders' imagination.

cisco

March 27, 2008 09:17 AM

next on list:
marcus fenix
locust .... (bad guys from gears of war)
i love my ps3 but i love gears of war on my 360

Jae

March 27, 2008 10:08 AM

@Cisco

They're available as well, at the same time this one was.

MajHavok

March 27, 2008 04:24 PM

BuSyMan

March 27, 2008 05:49 PM

Instead go to www.EvilEngine.net, the original author's(also involved in the HaloUT modding project) site and you'll find everything you need there...
Do this and show your support to EvilEngine!

McMadden

March 27, 2008 06:20 PM

quote"This model was converted to the PS3 without the model makers permission, and the maker was even not givin credit."

Wrong, on every download link in the original forum he was by Organ.

McMadden

March 27, 2008 06:30 PM

Quote"Do not use the download link provided in the article... it belongs to a guy that takes other people's work and credits himself for it... ~x(
Do this and show your support to EvilEngine!"

Actually what Organ has done was "Cook" the PC mod for the PS3. Evil Engine mod is for the PC only. We PS3 owners appreciate Organs efforts. By the way, does Evil Engine work for MicroSoft or Bungee? Again Organ does credit EvilEngine by the way.

March 27, 2008 06:58 PM

McMadden: It was a mod created by evilengine NOT by Organ. Organ did NOT create the HALO character models for UT3. It was EvilEngine.

Organ took the PC version of the Halo 3 character model from EvilEngine and 'cooked' it so that it would work for the PS3. Organ did not actually create the character model for Halo or Spawn etc.

There was a big debate on the Epic forums saying that it was Unethical for Organ to have taken EvilEngines work and compile/cook his mods for PS3 without asking for EvilEngines persmission.

Dragon

March 27, 2008 09:53 PM

I hung around the HaloUT community a while back, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the actual model ripped from Halo 3 as the HaloUT mod was about 90% ripped from Halo, many of the models were fixed up and converted to UT'04 by EvilEngine.

_Lynx

March 28, 2008 03:28 AM

MajHavok

March 28, 2008 01:39 PM

Quote"Wrong, on every download link in the original forum he was by Organ."

But was he givin permission to do so...no...I have nothing against PS3 owners and it's a shame how slow they are getting some of the mods out there , but permission should still be given when publishing someones work...even if credit is there.

Quote"on that page there are also Gears characters which are done by some other guy, not EvilEngine."

You are correct, but the main story of this article is the Master Chief model...made, ripped, or whatever buy EE.

vZv

March 30, 2008 10:11 AM

First of all Chief to the left is old beta, new one is looking even better than in Halo3. Secondly the model (one of many) created by EvilEngine and can only be downloaded by registered users of this site - http://evilengine.net/forum

ORGAN

April 11, 2008 12:25 AM

I will only say this one more time,

I always said EE made the content!! &,
I always said I could give a Fl_lck less if he wanted the content on the PS3 or not...!!

I wanted to use the content, so I converted it &, I knew that other people would like to use some of the content that I had converted..!!

Yeah It's just that easy ..

Then someone miss-read "or" did not read my posts at all
& said I was the maker of the mods , & here we are..

I shout down my site..,
I can't stand to here people cry, It was getting on my nerves ...

AnubanUT2 was the only one that helped me win I started modding on u3..
I had just made my first level for UT3 & he helped me find out how to convert my map for use on the PS3.

anuban was cool with my cooks, as long as I only gave then to good friends.. =P
as he & my self have PM'ed cooked content to each other, converting content was fun & I was stacking up A lot of content for use on my PS3,

I only bought the PC copy of the game so I could make use of the editor,

I made a site just for UT3 PS3 content, there was no sight just for that yet &, I thought it was a good idea..

AnubanUT2 came on my site trying to control the flow of content &, win I would not back down he started crying & spamming up the site telling people what they could do & not do... =P what a tool,
so I banned him from the site, then his little war started lol

anyway after the EE fan boys came to my site & shout it down for 12 min's LOL flooding LOL yeah

I went t EE's site to read there propaganda, it seemed that anuban was started a smear campaign on my name, KNOWING that i posted that EE made the content he was relaying to EE that I was saying otherwise.. NOT

& win I seen users from my site being two faced, talking **** on EE's site &, them coming to UT.PS3 saying It's Fl_lcked up what there saying about me.. like i cared anyway .. It's a toy not my life =P

I shout down the site . Fl_lck them

Now knowing I was the first one to convert full player mods to the ps3, I thought I would check on EE's little site a gin, they where using my megaupload download links WTF lol.. O by the way 6,850.412 downloads lol not all EE's mods

I said **** it let anuban re-cook or even re-upload that $hit,

************************************************** *************

Let me get to the point.

I have giving this a lot of thought, UT.ps3 will be re-opened but it will not be ran by my self , I do not want anything to do with the PC v PS3 crap anymore

I have given the the sites backup & full admin power to incadudef the owner of the server, It is his now to do what he wants with it.

FYI I think SONY is the best thing to happen for the gamers of the world,

Well I off to work on what ever comes next .

I have walked three people through re-cooking content so you guys should be getting new stuff anytime now lol , that was my last F_U to the PC modders that only want there content on the PC

L8 with respect for the PS3 users ORGAN_

Thought I should stop in & let you guys know everything PSN ORGAN_

freedom of information act "f'ing rocks

there are two kinds of people in the world,,, People that want... & the People that want to know ;)

Infinite

April 11, 2008 12:42 AM

Cooking doesn't mean that he stole the whole thing... EE members/admin knew about this the whole time, they only did something when other people started hosting the files. you cannot say that Master Chief was stolen from you when all you did was copy it from Microsoft.

you cannot put a copyright on a free item.

i wouldn't be surprised that other people started hosting your files again, or cooking them for themselves

omolabake ganiyu

April 30, 2008 04:45 PM

i don't like the way you people are doing no good games like squirellsquash e.t.c.

Thank you for your interest. This blog is no longer active.

No longer child's play, the booming global games market is worth billions of dollars. In Games, Inc., BusinessWeek Innovation writer Matt Vella and Tokyo correspondent Kenji Hall analyze emerging business trends in video games and interactive entertainment. They’ll examine everything from button-mashing, chart-topping, console games to serious games commissioned by big corporations to train staff. They’ll also map the evolution of expansive virtual worlds and go behind the strategies at companies that are turning play into big business.