Sims 3 Details Emerge

Posted by: Matt Vella on March 10

sims3.jpgIs this Will Wright’s year or what? Details of the mad genius game designer’s upcoming Sims 3, the continuation the best selling PC game franchise of all time, are coming out in the April/May issue of Games for Windows magazine as well as its sister (and generally brilliant) website 1up.com. The game isn’t likely to hit store shelves before 2009; yet, early details are no doubt going to get plenty of attention from eager gamers as well as the general media.

Interestingly, the rise of the Sims tracks neatly with the broadening of the games market in the last two decades, catering increasingly to casual gamers. “The Sims series’ immense popularity could constitute it as a national pastime,” jokes Dan Hsu, editorial director for 1UP Network. “[But,] what has made the Sim franchise such a pop culture phenomenon is that it appeals to a mass audience.” Meanwhile, having to manage the buzz of this release — which could be relatively close to the launch of the much heralded Spore — puts Electronic Arts (ERTS) in an interesting position.

In any case, preliminary details of the new game are interesting and sure to cause a stir online. From 1up.com’s coverage:

The biggest change to The Sims 3 is that it takes place in a wide-open, constantly changing neighborhood — a much bigger sandbox, if you will, and a much more complex simulation. The town and park you see on the cover image to the right (click to enlarge) exist in the same seamless space as your Sims’ household, and what you do outside your home now matters as much as what you do within. (Yes, previous expansion packs added out-and-about activities, but they were always separate sub-games. Here, everything’s completely integrated.) The game also sees a major shift in how Sims’ motives are handled: Individual meters indicating bladder and sleep-deprivation levels are replaced by a new system of discrete moods, the aim being to get players off the treadmill of fulfilling primal eat-sleep-pee-repeat requirements so they can focus more on, well, going out on the brand new town.

Adric

March 10, 2008 09:25 PM

Sweet! finally an open area Sims.

Nicole Crowne

March 11, 2008 06:02 AM

I cannot wait for the new sims to come out!!
Im like the biggest sim head in our family!! I hop et is going to as good as everyone is saying it is... yea .. biye

shameka

March 12, 2008 09:13 PM

is this going to be on computer r what? how much will it cost?will it be sold in walmart?

Piper

March 13, 2008 07:45 PM

@ Shameka:

Yes. Dunno yet. Probably seeing as all other Sim games are.

Donnie

March 14, 2008 09:21 PM

I am a big fan of the sims franchise, but it is a long ways away. Right now I'm focused on PLaystation HOME. Every person you interact with is a real PS3 user, and if want to see an open area. check it out at http://ps3.ign.com/objects/891/891773.html

and the best thing of all IT IS FREE!!!
If this lives up to it's potential. I may not return to The Sims franchise

Donnie

March 14, 2008 09:22 PM

and the best thing of all IT IS FREE!!!
If this lives up to it's potential. I may not return to The Sims franchise

just medffsdf

April 1, 2008 07:23 PM

Hey just wanted to tell yall I love the Sims 3 and I can't wait till it comes out!!! And I just wanted to give a shout out to EA GAmes for making shuch awsome games that everyone loves it's just your way to slow on making every game come out b/c you announced the Sims 3 in 2006!!! ANd what in 2009 it's being released!? wELL who cares I just love your games!

memmy

May 25, 2008 01:33 AM

i can not wait for the sims 3 to come out.
I am SOOOOO excited

johanna allen

June 13, 2008 12:38 AM

please let me know when sims 3 come out because i like playing sims 2 so i will like sims 3 even better

Remi

June 17, 2008 08:17 PM

i LOVE the sims even though sims 2 has completely broken down on my computer... but i saw all the screen shots and im a designing freak. LOOOKS PERFECT FOR A DESIGNER!

~remi~

lolly

June 24, 2008 06:40 AM

sims 3 comes out on the 27 th march 2009

rent

June 29, 2008 10:53 PM

ohhh ohhhh dats 2 fuckin long o hell nawww

Sims Fan

July 26, 2008 11:19 PM

I know this game is going to be an awesome one.

I wish I knew the system requirements though.

I know it's going to require a lot of memory and a good video card to be able to accomplish what Humble's team expect.

Jessica

August 27, 2008 11:39 AM

Actually its coming out in Feb. of 09. Check out the SIms3.com for more details. :D

Fred Figglehorn

October 19, 2008 08:18 PM

I have to admit... all I've done today is fantasize about Sims 3!!! Teehee, seems kinda stupid but who cares- it's the most fun game EVER! In exactly 4 months it'll be released. Febuary 20th!!! Oh yeah, I know there's Sims 2 for Macs but will Sims 3 be available for macs? I HOPE SO!!!!

Raed

January 5, 2009 10:41 AM

YES finally sims 3 will come out soon!I hope it comes out on ps3 becouse i would have 2 update my pc which will require alot of money ........... LOVE this game!

Thank you for your interest. This blog is no longer active.

No longer child's play, the booming global games market is worth billions of dollars. In Games, Inc., BusinessWeek Innovation writer Matt Vella and Tokyo correspondent Kenji Hall analyze emerging business trends in video games and interactive entertainment. They’ll examine everything from button-mashing, chart-topping, console games to serious games commissioned by big corporations to train staff. They’ll also map the evolution of expansive virtual worlds and go behind the strategies at companies that are turning play into big business.