Twitter Vs. The New York Times

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on July 7, 2009

I spent more time on Twitter this morning than reading The New York Times. Wow, what does that mean?

It means that the people I’ve chosen to follow on Twitter provided me with more interesting insights and links to stories than the NYT.

I’ve created my own aggregation posse, my own smart group of people who do the screening of dozens and dozens of blogs, articles, videos, Web sites, whatever, for me.

OK venture capitalists out there, it’s time to start valuing Bruce’s AP—aggregation posse. What’s it worth to others on the market, as Steve Baker would say? What are my “friends” worth compared to, let’s say, Chris Anderson’s (Wired and TED) or Malcolm Gladwell’s? (Notice that I’m comparing myself to super-stars to up the value of my AG).

Don Moyer

July 7, 2009 9:30 PM

It's intriguing that both options--Twitter and NYT--include screening. There's great value in having stuff filtered to match your interest. Social networks do it better than big media. But neither is good enough. My ideal would be to ONLY have content that is interesting and relevant to me. One hundred percent me. Is someone working on that?

Claudio Almeida

July 8, 2009 8:48 PM

I believe that its not possible, because people are in evolution too. So, some information can interest one person today, but not tomorrow. If someone send some information that is relevant to me but, for example, consist in a new area too (a shadow area)? It would interest me or not? For work, it would be a system that place an real-time real-mind and emotional personal link. Well, a human being. :)

Sohrab

July 8, 2009 11:10 PM

I love the idea! A filter, a curator. Put a face behind the service that knows me and I can trust. Basically, Know me and make the content relevant to me. Save me time and create trust and I will pay for it. What a good idea!!:-)

bruce nussbaum

July 10, 2009 9:22 PM

Sohrab and had this conversation in NYC and it was theoretical until I got onto Twitter and it became real.
So what would you pay for a personal curator, Sohrab?

What would anyone pay for a personal curator of information?

Katie

July 14, 2009 12:40 AM

I think what you are talking about is already alive and well... RSS feeds. You are the creator of your own personal news feed, only subscribing to information that you want to read about. When you become disinterested, you simply unsubscribe. All problems solved!

JA Ginsburg

July 14, 2009 2:42 PM

In a sense, TrackerNews does a bit of what you describe. It aggregates groups of stories by contextual relevance. http://wwww.TrackerNews.net. It is also among the most elaborate "demo" projects ever. We're actually working on something else, not quite ready for prime time, that I suspect you would find VERY interesting....

(btw, in a past life, I was a special correspondent for BW - wrote a lot for Neil Gross; also on twitter @TrackerNews)