Message to A.G. Lafley--My Gillette Mach 3 Turbo Razors Don't Work Anymore

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on June 10, 2009

Dear AG,

I ran into the brillian Brian Collins (he’s doing great work for Al Gore) on the street yesterday and he has a new client who is starting EOS, a new men’s grooming company (the guy was a key investor in Method so that means more competition for P&G). I complained that recently, my wonderful Gillette Mach 3 Turbo razors weren’t as sharp as they used to be and were actually hurting my face as I shaved. I’n fact, I used an old blade to make sure and it was much sharper and smoother. What’s up with that, I asked Brian.

Well, Brian just called and told me that yes, the Mach 3 Turbo razors he’s using aren’t as comfortable on his face either.

So AG, before you take off from direct leadership of P&G and Gillette, can you check this out and get me back my favorite razor blade. Before I jump to EOS.

Anyone else out there having this kind of razor blade trouble?

Venus User

June 10, 2009 9:18 PM

yes! I use the Gillette Venus, and the replacement blades have been duller lately than they were when the razor first came out.

Shannon

June 10, 2009 10:55 PM

I thought it was just me! Thanks for the tip. What is this EOS of which you speak?

Philip

June 11, 2009 9:50 AM

Same here (Netherlands, Europe) I tend to buy more blades last year than the year before. I thought it was my beard? But it seems that more people have this problem.

asim sah

June 11, 2009 11:43 AM

May be it's a subtle way of phasing mach 3 out or even promoting Fusion.

Pat

June 11, 2009 7:46 PM

Same here. And when I do get a good blade, it's not good after 5 or 6 days. Methinks this is their way of getting us to buy blades more frequently. Or they're prepping us for the next new blade with 5 mini-blades? I wish the old Sensor Excel blades weren't so hard to find. Almost as good and much cheaper

Rob Thompson

June 12, 2009 6:53 PM

Believe it or not, I use a straight razor.

Much more time and a little skill is involved, but I haven't purchased anything from gillette in over a year. I have a brush, mug, soap, strop, and razor which ran me a little over $120 a year and a few months ago. I will readily admit that this method isn't for everyone, but I now ENJOY shaving even if I have to plan extra time for it.

Jeff

September 1, 2009 2:03 AM

Any loyal user of this product can easily feel the dramatic change in the quality of this product over time.Initially, blades would just wear out faster and faster thereby diminishing the number of shaves one could get out of a Mach 3 Turbo cartridge. The dullness of the newest blades borders are as much a safety issue as they are a bait and switch under an established brand name.

Russ

October 6, 2009 8:22 PM

I have always found Gilette Mach 3 blades to be very sharp and durable. But now upon my first shave with a new blade they hurt. They are either getting rid of Mach 3 or trying to make people buy the Mach Shoo Mach Four or Fourpeat -- whatever they are calling the new blade. I'm upset that I spent money on new Mach 3 blades.

Skb

November 3, 2009 11:40 AM

aha I thought its only me having problems. Last six months one year experience with Mach3 has been bad to worst. Looks like Gillette is making prep to launch/push newer product in the market ( who wants a new product when Mach3 is (was) so good)

Jack

November 4, 2009 12:38 PM

I've been using Gilette for nearly 40 years! These new blades are horrible! The packaging "claims" a package of 4 or 5 blades lasts up to 3 months. 4 to 6 weeks is more like it! I sent a certified letter to Mr.Leckie about the issue. Neither he nor "anyone" from Gilette took the time to respond! Guess that tells you something. They've lost my business forever!

Kevin-with-a-shredded-face

November 4, 2009 8:33 PM

So it isn't my imagination! Yep, this little anomoly is felt as far afield as the the expat community here in the Middle East even! My face is getting razor burn; bumps and being shredded to hell these days from NEW Mach 3 Turbo blades, OUT OF THE BOX. Mach 3 Turbos have not given me problems until very recently! What is Gillette trying to do? I have used Gilette for 22 years, but they have gone too far with their pricing and deteriorating blade quality, so I am off to try a Wilkenson Sword or King of Shaves razor tomorrow. Mach 3 used to be so damn good, but it seems that Gillette is trying to force consumers to trade up and increase their spend on more expensive blades. Bye-bye, Gilette.

Marc

December 7, 2009 7:57 PM

I TOTALLY Agree!!! I couldnt believe it wasnt just me experiencing these terrible and expensive razors. Like one fellow here, I've been using these razors since I was in Bootcamp (US NAVY). I could not and would not buy anything else...as we Men know, once we find something that works, we usually stick with it....why change?
Man, for the last 4 months or thereabouts, these razors have been killing my face! I'm actually switching to Electric...and I never get as good of shave using this method.

I'm very happy to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I thought I got old packages, but then remembered the lengthy tours at Sea and never had this issue.
I've thrown so many razors away thinking "theres another bad one" only to run out and buy more at roughly $13 for 4-5 blades.
P&G....fix it!!!

D'o

December 13, 2009 1:25 PM

same thing for Fusion blades - ever since the add came out telling Fusion powners to remeber to change their blades more often> - scammers afaik

KWC

December 14, 2009 6:26 PM

If you bought the new replacement cartridges online, you may have gotten counterfeits. They are very convincingly packaged and they look like the real thing...but they are in fact rip offs. The blades are dull and are normally not shiny. The cartridges don't fit on the handle snugly.

FoolMeOnce

December 30, 2009 11:09 PM

Slightly new topic: Availability. I am having tons of trouble even finding replacement blades lately: at multiple retailers and in multiple cities (on both coasts!). Stores are constantly very low or out of stock. I even asked for blades for Christmas gifts to draft family in different locations to find these things. They all had trouble. New packages are advertising Fusion. Seems like quite a scam is brewing. My loyalty may last only as long as these gifted blades.

AlanPSanders

January 14, 2010 3:04 AM

My last two packs of fusion blades have hurt my face right out of the rack. I think they are trying to make them less sharp so people buy more of them

mike

February 6, 2010 6:23 PM

i currently buy the fusion blades they rip the face and give me a shaving rash;
I will be looking to change cos i smell a rat with the advert;
People power will win if we all comlain.

Williedynamite

February 8, 2010 3:59 PM

The mach 3 fusions are terrible; they hurt my face and did not give me close shave. went back to normal mach 3 and those are great. What is up with Gillette?

gicacontra

February 26, 2010 8:24 AM

Same here. Bought new Gillette Mach 3 Turbo and it was painful! Than I had to use the already used Mach 3 which was much better! I'll try to find now plain Mach 3 or maybe change the brand.

bob mcmillan

February 27, 2010 10:41 PM

i was using the mach3 for years and was very happy with it.then the fusion came out so i tried it,thinking it's new and must be even better.it was the worst shaves i ever got,so i went back to mach3,but like most of you i find the blades are just not the same they sure don't hold their edge and are hard to find when needed.they must have changed the steel to a cheaped metal

dean lomax

May 17, 2010 4:18 PM

as with everyone else on here i have noticed a considerable drop in the quality of shaving with mach3 turbo blades. this new pack of blades i bought are virtually unusable as they are causing too much discomfort whilst shaving. I'm gonna try wilkinson. why should i pay bloated prices for a product that doesn't work!

Anthony

June 28, 2010 7:36 PM

it just sucks!

Geoff

July 28, 2010 8:19 AM

I will add my two cents to this thread, which is just about what these latest Mach 3 blades are worth- I am greatly disappointed to the point now that I will switch brands and hope that Gillette does not own any portion of the brand of razors I will purchase in the future. Cheap shot, Gillette!

Geoff

July 28, 2010 8:20 AM

Kelly

August 3, 2010 2:54 AM

Add my displeasure to the list. I have been having horrible luck with my latest batch of Mach 3 replacement blades being DULL. Furthermore, they don't fit as well into the razor, and the cartridge gets stuck when the blade angles backward: it's as if they've changed the design of the cartridge a tiny bit. Has anyone seen THAT with their blades recently? I am NOT happy with these blades, and they had been vastly superior in the past.

Kelly

August 3, 2010 2:57 AM

randy

August 24, 2010 6:11 AM

Yep, have the same problem here and also thought it was a marketing scam to force an upgrade to the Fusion. I think Gillette got the message tho...The Walmart here pulled all the mach 3 turbos and fusions off the shelf. I love the blade and hope Gillette repents it's evil shady marketing and brings back a quality product

Marcus

September 12, 2010 11:24 PM

I've been using Gillette razors since i started shaving and noticed all blade replacements worked great for years.I started with Gillette sensor and sensor excel. These were great, and i had no issues. Then Gillette started introducing new products and the blade quality went to shit on the sensors. I've noticed this for the past 7 years or so.Sometimes your shave is ok then you get a new blade and it won't even cut the hair without forcing it. I also shave in the shower and let my face get hot before i even start shaving.Recently i bought some disposable mach 3's and thought they worked better than my sensor razors.Then i bought the mach 3 turbo's replacements and they don't work. I'm sick of being ripped off from these guys and they need to start making their products better.I figured it out, as they release new shaving systems they make the old ones work shity and make you buy the new ones. Even they don't work.

Francesco

September 20, 2010 2:13 PM

It's bullshit. What happened is not even to promote fusion. I had them all from the first mach 3, then i passed to the turbo, and now i'm on fusion power. What they have done is just to save on cost, the quality of the blades has just deteriorated to an awful level, and i thought it was a fusion power at the beginning, so i decide to buy again the mach 3 power, but it feels the same on the skin, like a non cutting but ripping hair. It was a PLEASURE for me to shave with gillette, but now is more like something the less i do the better i feel... I really don't know to what competitor i should go, do you guys have any suggestion?

Francesco

September 20, 2010 2:15 PM

Kelly

October 7, 2010 2:34 AM

I have no idea, Francesco. I've been told that the old double-edged razors are far better than the newer designs, but I've never used one. There are several shaving sites online that I'm going to check.

Sharena

October 30, 2010 11:37 AM

My husband is complaining about the mach3 blades not lasting as long and being dull. When did the quality go down and how can I find the older better blades?

MKS

November 15, 2010 3:32 PM

I had the same issue and i realized paying money on buying new DULL blades is not an option. I just switched to electric dry shaving. It took 2 weeks to time to get adjusted to, but at the end it turns out quite good. My new Senseo Touch 3D from Philips goes on and on

wooi hoe

November 20, 2010 9:28 AM

i'm using Gillette March 3 turbo for years. i'm weird about my turbo razor since last year2009, because it hurts when shave and bleeding somemore. So now i'm thinking to buy between march 3 and turbo, but i dunno the different. So i'm searching for my answer online, after reading this page and other page i just found out not only is my problem but also many of others......now donno which razor to for????? I have try many other brand not of them are same with gillette.........

SKIP KOSCHER

December 2, 2010 8:58 PM

I BOUGHT 100 MACH3 TURBO CARTRIDGES THRU D.H. GATE, A WHOLESALE PLATFORM FOR CHINESE MERCHANTS. PACKAGED IN 4PACK, LOOKS AUTHENTIC. "2001 MADE BY/FABRIQUE POR THE GILLETTE COMPANY". LOOKED LIKE A GOOD DEAL TO ME. I HAD THEM FOR ABOUT A MONTH BEFORE I NEEDED THEM. THE FIRST ONE RIPPED THE WHISKERS FROM MY FACE. IN DISBELIEF I TRIED ANOTHER PACK. ALL ARE BELIEVED TO BE THE SAME. WHO WOULD SUSPECT!

RetDuappyDype

December 9, 2010 10:28 AM

payday60, http://cncmmmqqqqqqq.com/ - payday60 Payday Advance b2223 Payday Freecell e1171

Me

February 17, 2011 8:26 AM

I just tried them. I bought a 5 pack of cartridges from my local wholesale store. I had to change the blades before the end of the work week or I would be bleeding all over the sink. Switched back to the standard Mach 3 and was fine. I think part of it is the "moisture strip" that also acts to dull the blades while you shave. You are supposed to dry your razor when you finish shaving to preserve the edge longer. That fat moisture strip doesn't help anything.

Tom Campbell

March 13, 2011 1:50 PM

I paid $8 dollars for the Mach 3 and can't even get the blades to stay on. Bought a replacement pack and they still fall off. Back to disposables.

Kate Simpson

March 25, 2011 10:14 PM

It was certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Kate Simpson
milan italy escorts

over the counter yeast infection treatment

April 13, 2011 8:54 AM

Your article has made me think about an issue from another perspective. This is quite rare when I change my idea about such subjects but it looks that you’ve done it. The day has begin with something new! Thank you!

Kate Hakkinen

April 30, 2011 2:36 AM

It was extremely interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Kate Hakkinen
cim owo escort

Ronny Wigley

May 20, 2011 11:44 AM

Your blog has made me think about an question from another angle. This is completely rare when I change my idea about such issues but it looks that you’ve done it. The day has started with something new! Thank you!