What Tata Should Do To Revive Jaguar.

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on October 7, 2008

I just received this thoughtful analysis of what India’s Tata should do to revive Jaguar. It’s the best I’ve seen anywhere. Check it out.
And thanks Barrett.

“This purchase should prove a new era for the two brands. I worked for both companies in the U.K., and times were dismal under Ford ownership, for Jaguar especially. I remember when Ford cut funding for the F-type how dismal morale was at Jaguar. They decided to allocate those funds towards the development of the TDV6 diesel with Peugeot/Citroen. Although a worthwhile pursuit, axing the F-type was the last straw for many veteran employees at Jag, an almost wholly British development. It just goes to show how a shortsighted, accountant run entity has no business overseeing such brands. Alternatively, Land Rover is proving quite profitable and successful. I absolutely attribute this fact to BMW’s brief ownership, an entity more or less run by engineers. They spent billions of pounds on the facilities in Solihull (the current Range Rover production line is a thing of beauty in fact). In addition, quality of component manufacturers is also key to product success. The current Range Rover is a definite worthy competitor to the best in the industry b/c a large portion of it’s components are produced by BMW part suppliers, much higher quality than any company supplying Ford’s production.

Land Rover has been spared much of the problems Jaguar has faced due to the fact that many of the new models share components with Volvos (e.g., Freelander 2 or LR2). In addition, perhaps realising that BMW has put forth most of the effort to bring Land Rover up to specs, Ford allocated around $1 billion for Land Rover to develop the Discovery 3 (LR3) and Range Rover Sport, which have proven quite successful. This sum is necessary for developing a viable new platform. Compare this arrangement to the less than 200 million dollars Jaguar received for developing the X-type, an all around failure, rubbish of a car. How could we expect Jaguar to produce a viable, new platform to compete against market leaders like the 3-series, using components from substandard suppliers through Ford’s network? It’s an impossible feat as we have seen.

It can naturally be assumed that BMW part suppliers are far superior in quality to those of Ford’s choosing, considering BMW produces luxury cars, and Ford doesn’t. For Ford to expect the public to continually pay luxury car prices for a car produced with substandard components is ludicrous. It has just taken them almost a decade to realise their mistake (since the debut of the S-type, another rubbish car). The first thing Tata should do for these two brands is cut ties with any Ford supplier as fast as possible, and seek out the suppliers of their main competitors: BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, only then will Jaguar and Land Rover truly have the means to compete in the long term. The success of Land Rover over the past 5 or so years and the continual failure of Jaguar are living proof of this fact: COMPONENT QUALITY AND PROPER INVESTMENT LEAD TO SUCCESS.”

mani

December 16, 2008 3:23 PM

I have to agree 100% with what is written here.

NFL Jersey

November 4, 2010 9:10 PM

Nice one, there is actually some great points NFL Jersey on this post some of my associates will find this worthwhile, will send them a link, thanks

nike air max

November 6, 2010 5:47 AM

Very informative blog on nutrition and weight loss. I think many could benefit from reading your blog therefore I am subscribing to it and telling all my friends.

Tyson F. Gautreaux

December 27, 2010 4:28 AM

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod's larger screen and better browser may be important.

coach outlet online sale

December 27, 2010 9:16 PM

I subscribbed to your rss feed but coach outlet online sale for some reason I haven't been getting the updates. Maybe its something on my end. Any way I guess I have to just look through the archive. Thanks!

Best bedding

April 20, 2011 7:10 PM

Nice article. I will "favorite" this for future work. However, I am a bit angered by your final point. In my work this is not ususally the case. I think you have overextended yourself on unworthy evidence.

Comforters

April 21, 2011 10:29 AM

Wouldn't read this more in magazines if this were reality? I infrequently hear of this on other sites. Either this piece is at the state of the art, or you have overreached in your interpretation.

Lansky Sharpeners

April 22, 2011 4:30 AM

You make more working for the state in many cases rather than going into entrepenuership for yourself. Either way, there is not much employment security.

Cure blackheads

April 30, 2011 11:42 PM

How particularly does any person boss the spot market via futures? There are continually strong arbitrage relationships that prevent the spot mark up from sustainably deviating from the supply-demand cost. Yet if you have a asset with large short-term/long-term differences in elasticity, like crude oil, the futures market would one day be forced to reprice to the spot, not vice versa.

Acne Treatment

May 1, 2011 6:08 PM

That stimulus money should have been put in the hands of the American family! Some people would put it in the bank which helps the banking area and a lot of people would spend it injecting money directly into the private sector going on a spending spree while encouraging the money to be spent on American made products!

Apartment sublet guide

May 5, 2011 11:29 PM

My pencil sharpener is full of Russians! could you quantity-survey my moehill.

apple

May 12, 2011 7:25 AM

Your blog has made me think about an issue from another angle. This is absolutely rare when I change my opinion about such questions but it looks that you’ve done it. The day has started with something new! Thank you!