The Many Ways Blogs, Twitter, YouTube FaceBook, MySpace And Other Social Media Will Change Your Business

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on February 23, 2008

The brilliant duo of Stephen Baker and Heather Green have written one of the most insightful articles on the impact of social media on business models and business organization. It’s a follow up to their cover story in 2005 on How Blogs Will Change Your Business. They did it, of course, by using their own blog, blogspotting, to interract with their audience and come up with fresh, new answers.

Some metrics from Stephen and Heather: There are 9 million blogs out there already, growing at 40,000 a day. Only 27% of internet users look at blogs, but that is growing fast too. Since all information is digital these days, all trends, all data, all potential partnerships, all deals—are in the blogosphere if you can learn to access them (data visualization anyone?).

New features are flooding into the blogosphere allowing people to disintermediate (cut out) all established gate-keepers. That means MSM, mainstream media, music, movie, photo--you tell me--gatekeepers. The good news is that fresh ideas and information is available on a global scale. Let me rephrase that.

We are at the beginning of a Global Creativity BOOM. We've globalized labor, globalized capital, globalized manufacturing. But now, we are unleashing the brilliance of minds around the planet through the blogosphere.

But there are consequences. Corporations are losing control--of their brands, their messages, their marketing, their design, their products and services. Companies have to share power with their consumers. Think demassing, walls coming down, control going.

Blogs are about connection and conversation, not necessarily content or information (although content may, in the end, prove to be a surprising killer app). Tracking the relationships among blogs, understanding the content trails being left behind, is critical to global corporations who want to be at the edge of creation.

Check out David Armano's new creation from Critical Mass: Las Vegas, which attempts to build an event social networking tool. I think it's fascinating. It's a "branded utility," or a social network that is useful to a select group of people. Nike Plus is one such site dedicated to runners.

In a world of social networking and conversations among bloggers, consumers and everyone else, you don't advertise to them, you advertise with them. So companies have to design spaces--or politically ask to join existing networks--where people have a purpose to pursue (if only fun). Las Vegas is a prototype where people can network before, during and after an experienc--going to Vegas baby!

Think of creating these kinds of event social networks around weddings, graduations, bat mitzvahs, grandpas 90th and mom and dad's 50 wedding anniversary--any ceremonial event. And put it on iPhones, please--mobility is pretty critical.

This little discussion moved from blogs and social networking to utility and usefulness. I'll say more on this soon because I think the entire advertising/marketing and /media/journalism industries are being reshaped by digital tools empowering individuals around the world.

David Armano

February 25, 2008 2:13 PM

Hi Bruce.

I really think your perspective on event based social experiences is spot on. I also agree with you on the conversation moving to "what's useful" (and relevant). Keep thinking that through!

As for the Las Vegas effort, we just launched it and it's in Beta, so we're focusing efforts on refining the application. You'll be happy to know that I got feedback from a user recently that they were able to create and manage their profile on the iPhone. We will also be looking to add mobile functionality like photo uploads etc.

As with many efforts in the space—you have to put something out there and refine the design around how people interact with it vs. designing in a silo with total control and doing a big bang launch. This is a bit of a shift in the design world that we'll see more of.

Will let you know how the effort evolves over time. Thanks for the interest!

David Armano

February 25, 2008 3:21 PM

Oh, one more thought. The My Vegas initiative was done in collaboration between Critical Mass and R&R Partners. Another interesting bit of the equation as it underscores that these types of things involve multiple players.

When someone logs on to the site, plans a trip, goes to Las Vegas and documents their experience—it's an orchestration of many touch points that lots of people influenced.

Brandy Swingfield

October 25, 2010 9:04 AM

It was very interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that site soon. By the way, pretty good design you have here, but how about changing it from time to time?

Brandy Swingfield
escorts mature

Jeff Drawledge

October 26, 2010 8:13 AM

What do you think about adding some more illustrations? I don’t want to offend anyone, site is really nice. Just as I know visitors acquire information much more effective when they see some useful images.

Jeff Drawledge
mobile signal boosters

Anete Smith

November 12, 2010 4:15 PM

Rather cool site you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anete Smith
swiss cottage escort

Nicky Stepman

November 29, 2010 8:56 AM

Damn, pretty cool topic. How will I find that RSS?

Nicky Stepman
escort ny city

Hilary Hakkinen

December 2, 2010 12:30 PM

Rather interesting blog you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Hilary Hakkinen
escorts irish

free pinball downloads

December 3, 2010 4:14 PM

I don't post much but just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your Blog.

Katherine Stepman

December 6, 2010 5:45 PM

Wow, indeed great info. Where can I get your subscription?

Katherine Stepman
latin escort

Jane Smith

December 14, 2010 11:25 AM

It is very interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Jane Smith
escorts ukraine

Jane Trider

January 4, 2011 2:55 PM

It was certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Jane Trider
las vegas vip escorts

Julia Hakkinen

March 15, 2011 6:07 PM

Pretty interesting blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Julia Hakkinen
milan escort forum

how to gain weight easily

March 27, 2011 5:15 AM

This is a lot useful suggestions. I have to say I love encountering this alot. It aids me to turn into better knowledge of about the subject. It is very well written. I shall definitely see this specific material pretty fascinating. I hope you could present more sooner or later.

Judson Pilkins

March 28, 2011 10:03 PM

I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I desire to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to create readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

billiard table

March 31, 2011 12:41 AM

I would also love to add that in case you do not actually have an insurance policy or you do not take part in any group insurance, you could possibly well take advantage of seeking assistance from a health insurance broker. Self-employed or people with medical conditions usually seek the help of a health insurance agent. Thanks for your blog post.

baseline

April 2, 2011 3:11 AM

Thanks for your recommendations on this blog. One thing I want to say is that purchasing electronic products items over the Internet is not something new. In fact, in the past few years alone, the marketplace for online electronics has grown significantly. Today, you will discover practically just about any electronic device and product on the Internet, which include cameras plus camcorders to computer spare parts and gambling consoles.

professional

April 6, 2011 12:30 AM

I would also like to say that most people that find themselves with out health insurance are usually students, self-employed and those that are not working. More than half in the uninsured are under the age of 35. They do not sense they are wanting health insurance simply because they're young and healthy. Their own income is normally spent on houses, food, along with entertainment. A lot of people that do work either complete or as a hobby are not presented insurance by their jobs so they get along without due to the rising cost of health insurance in the United States. Thanks for the strategies you write about through your blog.

Rod Mrotek

April 7, 2011 9:14 PM

I should say also believe that mesothelioma cancer is a extraordinary form of melanoma that is often found in all those previously subjected to asbestos. Cancerous cellular material form while in the mesothelium, which is a protective lining which covers the vast majority of body's areas. These cells typically form inside the lining with the lungs, abdominal area, or the sac which actually encircles the heart. Thanks for revealing your ideas.

Melodee Didriksen

April 9, 2011 10:12 AM

Thanks for your post. One other thing is when you are advertising your property alone, one of the concerns you need to be mindful of upfront is when to deal with home inspection reviews. As a FSBO seller, the key to successfully switching your property in addition to saving money about real estate agent revenue is understanding. The more you know, the more stable your property sales effort might be. One area when this is particularly crucial is assessments.

mkOIBM

April 16, 2011 8:51 PM

FOXMFzo

report scam

April 18, 2011 10:40 PM

Trace any scam or report scam and warn others. Easily report scam, fraud, cheats, complaints or review websites, people or businesses. All reports get instantly published.

Bella Benedict

April 24, 2011 8:09 AM

Rather cool place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Bella Benedict
hot escort

flaw detector

April 26, 2011 10:33 AM

This is exactly i'm attempting to find. This is what I ask value. The details provided in here is to the most successful. I must say you will require spent a while in setting each one of these satisfied collectively. They are relevant to your theme. I shall suggest this specific to any or all and then to each one of my buddies. I am going to get back here to try out the amount of function. Thank you for building this kind of transpire.

pfm

April 27, 2011 1:01 PM

This can be what I am seeking. That is what I refer to high quality. The information provided in here will be to the most. I must say you need to have invested some time in putting these satisfied collectively. They may be match with your topic. I shall recommend these to the world and to all of my friends. I will go back here to check out the quantity of give good results. Appreciate making this specific ensue.

google fast cash

May 1, 2011 8:44 AM

This is what I am looking for. That is what I refer to valuable. The details provided right here is to the greatest. I must say you need to have invested a while in making these material with each other. They are relevant to your market. I am going to advocate this specific to everyone and then to all my acquaintances. I shall return here to check out how much function. Appreciation for producing this specific ensue.

Injury Lawyer Seattle

May 2, 2011 1:59 AM

This is i will be looking for. This is what I refer to as valuable. The details provided here is usually to the greatest. I must say you must have spent some time in putting all these material jointly. They're matched with your theme. I am going to advocate this specific to any or all and to every single piece of my friends. I will return here to check out how much function. Thank you for producing this specific transpire.

sterling silver

May 4, 2011 11:42 AM

I have realized that of all sorts of insurance, health care insurance is the most dubious because of the turmoil between the insurance cover company's necessity to remain adrift and the user's need to have insurance cover. Insurance companies' profits on well being plans are low, so some organizations struggle to gain profits. Thanks for the thoughts you share through this blog.

maximum battery life

May 4, 2011 2:47 PM

I have seen a great deal of useful factors on your website about computer systems. However, I've the thoughts and opinions that netbooks are still more or less not powerful enough to be a good choice if you often do things that require lots of power, just like video editing. But for world-wide-web surfing, statement processing, and a lot other frequent computer work they are all right, provided you don't mind the little screen size. Many thanks for sharing your ideas.