Bissell Replies To My Criticism Of It's Intrusive Data Gathering.

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on February 21, 2008

Here’s what I received from Bissell today. I’m happy they responded. It’s good that the company is checking the blogosphere for comment. But is it sufficient? Let me know.

“BISSELL values two way conversations with consumers and we appreciate the honest feedback you shared about the survey experience your mother had upon purchasing one of our products. We are sorry that our questionnaire offended her, as that was not our intention.

The question from the survey mentioned in your blog was developed following consumer research which revealed to us that consumers experience a variety of emotions when it comes to maintaining a clean home. In our quest to create life inspired cleaning innovations, obtaining opinions and attitudes from consumers about cleaning (the products they use, how they use them, how they feel about cleaning, etc.) helps us make products that better fit their needs and lifestyles.

Every product we create is fundamentally rooted in real life consumer insights. We purposely maintain open communications with our consumers on-line and via our customer service phone lines. And the questions we ask are designed to help us understand consumers and their cleaning product needs in a deeper, more meaningful way.

As with all customer complaints and opinions, we will evaluate the survey questionnaire further and take your comments into consideration.”

That’s it.

Peter P

February 21, 2008 4:10 PM

I think you received a pretty decent response to a rather silly question.

To suggest that a non-required attitudinal questionnaire is an invasion of personal privacy is a stretch. Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt that the validity of your warranty would be impacted had you left the question blank.

Anon

February 21, 2008 8:08 PM

I, for one, tip my hat to the company for stepping up and responding with what appears to be genuine sincerity: "...we will evaluate the survey questionnaire further and take your comments into consideration."

I have no reason to doubt the veracity of that statement, so I won't. Thanks Bissell.

Stephen Macklin

February 21, 2008 9:41 PM

As corporate spin goes it's not bad. At least they took the time to adapt the boilerplate response to the specific circumstances.

It it enough?

I suppose that's up to your mother, but in their place I would have offered to send a 3 pack of bags as a good will gesture.

Grant

February 21, 2008 9:54 PM

The term "missed the point" comes to mind...

Matt

March 6, 2008 12:06 AM

Intrusive or not, I don't think a survey is the best method for understanding people's emotions.

Matt