Big US Demand For New Tata Nano Car From India.

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on January 10, 2008

Judging just from the comments on this blog, there is a big demand for India’s new Nano car. It’s making quite an impact in gas-guzzling America.

Here is a slide show of all of India’s ultra-low cost small cars.

Shishir

January 11, 2008 12:52 AM

Big demand, sure. American consumer (that includes me) would certainly like to buy a 50mpg car that looks great for $2500, right? So this car will surely sell big time if released in US? The answer is NO. Not as-it-is.
Why?
Imagine on a US street, a 600cc 33hp engine, that goes 0-60 in minutes... or maybe 60 isnt even an achievable speed! Bare-bones no-luxury design, unfit for highway, and even if it was allowed on highways somehow, 50mpg is good but not THAT great for US consumer compromise with everything else. But for that price, it will still sell a few thousand pieces.... as a Golf-cart... maybe.
TATAs are aware of the this and understand the game fairly well. So, dont expect Nano on US streets sometime soon.
First of all we must understand what this car was designed for - to replace two-wheelers as a standard mode of convyence for middle class Indians. This car is designed to be a motor-bike with 4 wheels and a roof! And it costs as much as a two wheeler in India too.

Except US, all the poor-er world will embrace this car like a long lost brother, if.. if TATAs can deliver consisten quality with that price tag. If TATA can pull a Honda/Toyota in 70s, huge market is ripe for such a car in Latin America, Russia, Asia, and parts of Europe - the question is how soon can TATA get properly equipped to tap into it. TATA has to get it right the first time. They cannot afford rejection due to bad quality, especially now that the world is watching what they do with Jaguar and Land Rover!
However, I dare to suspect that TATA Nano is merely a start. Running a Nano like ultra-light vehicle on compressed-air, bio-fuel, E85, Electricity.. that is where the future is. I have heard rumblings of such technology in the making at TATA. And when TATA can pull out such a fete and get a clear cut Green-advantage on other vehicles in this segment, that is when my friends US consumer will be ready to set aside other issues and buy it.
Its not happening in next two years, but it may not be as far as it may seem...

Anupam Mishra

January 11, 2008 3:09 AM

Tata Does not need to enter in to US marked . the demand created in India itself that much that it will take years to full fill the Indian Market. Of course this car is not comparable With Jaguar and Land Rover but Tata has drwan or diverted worlds eyes towards India !! No Luxary

Anupam Mishra

January 11, 2008 3:32 AM

Mark Whiting

January 11, 2008 6:06 AM

I think a large percentage of everyone is really interested in great specialised design solutions, recently, particularly, those which happen to be specialised for a restricted market and in turn have implemented some interesting innovations. The OLPC is an obvious example that almost everyone appreciates and is interested by on first sight, however, like many things which deal with a less overtly western ideology on a western market, sales were lower than expected. I think of course westerners (sorry I am not American so I tend to think more generally about this demographic) are interested by either of these new devices but when they see and hear about them, what they really want is for a western company to go and produce something that has as much design and innovation. I think the flexibility of the market in many other places and the more obvious tangible needs make some parts of the job of the designers more straightforward. I guess we could hope that the innovations filter back to the more stagnate western markets. A grown up version of the OLPC or a TATA like car which better suited some of the locally American needs could both be world changing products, I imagine.

21-M-NEBRASKA

January 11, 2008 8:57 AM

IF the new Tata Nano is deemed to be safe by crash and other safety tests, as well as possibly adding more horsepowers to it, WE WANT IT IN THE USA!! This car is compact, cute, nice, and definitely affordable! This is the type of car that Americans would use as a work, school, or even a leisure car! We as Americans- right away think that when we buy a car it should be loaded with hundreds of gadgets and gizmo's that light up. We don't however stop to think about the real purpose of the automobile- it's to get us from point A to point B! It's Very Simple, if you are afraid of change, or if you don't like the car, DON'T BUY IT!! As for myself and the rest of my fellow Americans who do like the car, we'll be looking for it on the market!

In my opinion, the fact that this car uses gas (just like every other car on the planet), instead of a more efficient type of energy has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with why critics criticize the new Tata Nano. I feel that if it did, then why aren't they attacking ANY if not all of the other major car manufacturers who just came out with their new 2008 models, which by the way have GAS powered engines as well?? Nough said!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Bob Bennett

January 11, 2008 10:12 PM

Believe you me...there is a huge market in the USA for a $2,500.00 car that gets 50 miles to the gallon. Where is the question? The current big names in car manufacturing should be shaking in their boots. They certainly have had ample time to create such a vehicle that is inexpensive and also uses very little gas. They will probably be the ones that cause the biggest stink about safety and every other detail they can think of. I would like to buy two of them and possibly three!

JOSHUA

January 13, 2008 2:19 AM

My monthly expenses is about 800 on transportation(which includes gas, insurance, monthly payments, service, etc). So I pay about 9600 dollars a year.
With the tata nano costing 2500, I can own one every year and still have money to spare. WHERE DO I PUT THE ORDER. I WANT ONE

warren

January 14, 2008 5:21 AM

I say use the NANO as a bench mark and if the US manufactures can't match or improve it's bang-for-buck ratio, then they should shut up and get out of the way. The bottom line is cost and safety is not a issue. The idea of a "peoples car" is not new but the need is new. The idea of requiring it be replaced after 2 years is a interesting idea to maintain its serviceability.

warren

January 14, 2008 5:22 AM

Rich

January 16, 2008 5:14 PM

We applauded the sustainability of Porsche’s (road life) longevity. Now we’re jumping all over the car equivalent to the bic-lighter. The NANO may be good for India because they’ll drive them, repair them and drive them again. At $2,500.00, we’ll drive them for a year, throw them away and buy another.

vicente

January 16, 2008 10:49 PM

this nice nano car would be the smart-killer, which is coming this year and is manufactured by mercedes benz, which means that smart cars are a way expensive than nanos. america really needs this tata nano a four-wheeled gadget for a better life and clean environment. us is the third most populated country on the world. thats the smarter car!

Chris

January 22, 2008 1:26 AM

I would purchase one in a heartbeat. Its looks are not what makes this a great car. Its the cost of ownership. For that price most americans could buy a new one each year. I drive a gas guzzling pickup and during the summer I ride a scooter to save on gas. I only have 3 miles to commute to work so for me I would drive this car all year and save a TON of money in gas. I spend $100 a week in gas. For what gas costs me in the truck I could buy a new car, fuel it and insure it for a year...and probably still come out ahead.

I live in the burbs of Chicago, and I know there are millions of people in many large cities that would love this car for getting around. Its very small and doesn't need much space to park, and its very cost effective on the front and back end.

Sunny

February 19, 2008 1:13 AM

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING THEM ON! UNITED STATES NEEDS THESE CARS TOO!

TimWv

February 25, 2008 8:44 PM

I say bring the Nano to the US. I am sure there would be a huge demand for this cute little car. It's all politics, the government doesn't want to step on the US automakers toes, why not when the majority of them are made overseas.

RONNIE

March 6, 2008 4:01 AM

This car would be great in nyc where parking is hard to get. I go to college only one day i went in my suv and i was late in class for half hour. This car would also target college students who will enjoy and can park easily on streets with no worry of anything. $2500 seriously no one can say no to that. 50 mpg wow another saving in money for NYers. Gizmos and stuff no problem after 6 month everyone can hookup here. This is what all college students like.
PLEASE TATA BRING THIS CAR IN USA

Mobycat

March 12, 2008 5:15 PM

I would buy one in a trice! I commute 20 miles a day back and forth to work on city streets and my current car (a 1996 Jaguar XJ6) gets lousy city milage. I'm never going more than 35 Mph anyway. Ideal for a city get around vehicle and save the big sedan for the highway and contending with 18 Wheelers.

rd

March 15, 2008 5:06 PM

Ok let's think outside the box. How can we and how much would it cost to have one shipped here to the US or how much to ship it if you got it abroad on business travel?

John

May 5, 2008 3:26 AM

I would love to have one just to go back and forth to work. I really dont think the U.S. automakers, and oil people will ever let it happen,because it is something that will help the little guy.

Tammy

May 27, 2008 12:34 AM

WOW! I want one! I live in a large planned community close to shopping schools - but not in walking distance. I would definately keep a Nano in the garage for all of my trips for shopping and groceries! Please bring it to the USA!

John

July 1, 2008 10:35 AM

@Shishir - dont you worry americans will buy this as a spare car..and not an alternate to SUV for highway drive..dude its not India where most people have only one car.

Jim

July 6, 2008 1:44 AM

Everyone cries safety when these small cars come out, but nobody realizes that they are all safer than a motorcycle. Bring the Nano to the US and let the people decide, besides we bought the Hyundai when it first came over, and now look at it.

mike

July 17, 2008 7:54 PM

Uh, i think you're wrong here pal. I've already seen these nanos on the road here in Ashburn VA. People want them real bad, and they are getting them any way they can, even if they have to have it imported. Get a clue america. Cars like this are coming one way or another.

Joelle Brink

July 17, 2008 7:54 PM

This is one incredibly cool little car. More than 40 international patents and a suppliers list(see Wikipedia)like a BMW or Mercedes. Watch for the new turbodiesel with a revolutionary 800 cc CRDi engine and custom Bosch fuel injection. It should arrive in 2011 or -12 as Tata wants to supply the Indian market first. The export Nano will exceed US emissions and crash test standards.

lizzard

July 20, 2008 6:16 AM

send me info on how 2 get nano or cat or how to start a dealership in the us for tata

ptankgordon

December 31, 2008 11:37 PM

I have saw someone driving this car and I was wondering if that means that it has passed the US standards

Lillian

March 23, 2009 2:38 PM

I know a lot of people who would love this car! I am one of them. The US car industry seems to have NO idea what the us consumer wants that is why it is going bankrupt. At $2,500 these car would sell, sell, sell. Upper middle class would want one for curiosity. The poor would want one to save. The middle class would get one for their kids. This would be the new
"ipod" and "g-phone". I live in NYC and refuse to have a car. None of my friends, all who could throw down $5,000 is cash without blinking for the right product. We all take the subway or zipcar. But Nano is cute and more affordable. I would take more day trips to the beach on weekends. Fire Island, avoiding the highways, from NYC, would only be two hours. At the gas rate that is less than $2.00. If my husband and I took the lirr it would cost more and take longer. Sign me up!

mat

March 24, 2009 5:17 PM

WE NEED THIS CAR IN THE USA!!!!!!!! no u may not be able to take it on the highway? but how many older people can you imagine driving this thing? and theyre not on our highways causein wrecks!!!! plus parents would have a new 1st car for their kids, hell id drive one lol

jesse

March 25, 2009 2:16 AM

Finally a car that follows in the footsteps of the GEO Metro!!!!
Great little car!

Dan

March 26, 2009 1:07 AM

I really want this car to come to America- it is ashame that an American company did not take the inititive to do something like this so that the poor of the nation would constanly have to risk their live as they walk along dangerous narrow roads to get to ther homes, jobs, schools, etc.

Howard Otton

March 27, 2009 12:30 AM

I live in the USA and would buy this car tomorrow if it was made available to us . Unfortunately our car companies are way above giving us anything like that. Too bad for us.

Marcel

March 29, 2009 11:45 AM

I just watched a youtube video where it was being test driven by Autocar. It goes 70mph, so it can go on the freeway, and especially if you compare it to a motorcycle, this car is perfectly acceptable on the freeway. If the crash test ratings are as good as said in comments above, this is the best all around car for most of us. I would buy one.

Sandvig

April 8, 2009 2:42 AM

i like it but as an 18yr old my main concern in the us is how many speakers and subs can u fit in there?is it customizable, and if it does break down then how the hell does any car dealership fix it?i think it is nice as a backup plan but as far as a "Car" or "Vehicle" go...it is not sutible.

Andrew, Maryland

April 9, 2009 3:18 PM

If this car were coming to the US, I'm sure millions of us would gladly pay $4000 for an upgraded version, perhaps a hybrid that gets 60mpg?? Maybe as part of the stimulus for Chrysler and GM, they should be forced to work with TATA to make this car here in the US. I'm sure we'd see blockbuster sales. Bring it on and sign me up!!

Vikram

April 15, 2009 7:42 PM

FYI as far as Tata's customer from India, their car actually have very few maintenance problem. My father is driving other model ( Indica ) which is better than nano in terms of horse power and size. We hardly had any problem in 8 years so I am assuming it will be same for Nano too. But I fear after actual sale starts what will happen to traffic in India .

Isaac A

April 18, 2009 8:48 PM

Tata Nano in the US. This vehicle would indeed be welcomed in the states should it be able to pass the federal safety requirements, I would purchase one right away.

As for those worried about the power, it is a hop skip and a jump away from a motorcycle power plant swap and it'ed happen soon in the states.

For those of us currently considering a scooter at a higher price than this vehicle it would be a welcomed option.

Kamini A

April 25, 2009 3:40 AM

Finally , something that makes sense. I want one too.

Neil

April 30, 2009 1:11 AM

I don't think that the desire for these cars in the American market will be the problem. The problem will be greedy importers and private dealerships that will invariably mark the things up to eight to twelve thousand dollars in order to force consumers into financing these cars at the same ridiculous rates all the other brands are. I would love to pay cash for one of these little cars. I love the idea and think they are way past due but I wouldn't trust the bean counters to sit the right way on a toilet seat over this one. Mark my words, American greed will completely screw this novel idea up.

Chad

May 9, 2009 2:50 AM

I would put a pipe on mine, and chip out the fuel injection system, and put a spoiler and rims on it, then the truck would be where I put the amp for my 18"s in the back seat. That would make it more Merican.

Are you kidding? You dont think anyone would buy one of these for their teenager? Cheap, and safe, since they can't go fast..

When is the "Bigger faster stronger" mentality just fade into the distant past. The generation of efficiency is ready to start taking over. If we Americans don't get on board, we will be the "Slowest Fattest" country.

Keith

May 11, 2009 10:43 PM

This car could never make it in the US. It probably doesn't meet a single government safety requirement. Front and side impact, passive restraint, clutch start switch, correct bumper height, 3 point seat belts... you get the point! Once you add all of these required goodies, you've made the car heavy enough to require a bigger engine and suspension. Once you've done all that you've probably jacked the price up to Yaris/Fit terrirory. I, personally wouldn't mind taking a chance driving one of these, but somehow in the "Land of the Free", we are not allowed to take such a risk. Damn nanny state!!

Mr. Pit

May 24, 2009 6:30 AM

Mr. Pit

May 24, 2009 6:33 AM

Nano Tata, I want one too.

Korben

June 6, 2009 6:37 AM

I have no doubts this car will find its way to america.... of course thats after that auto industry and government make it 'safe' for our streets, change this and that, and do everything they can to insure that it wont sell for any less than $10,000 minimum. After all, we cant go releasing cars in america that Everyone could afford. People might actually start saving a little money and thats the last thing anyone wants. Wait and see.

kent mccoy

June 9, 2009 10:55 PM

is that a wiff of pure horseshit i smell between me and why i cant buy a nano in the us

krish

June 20, 2009 10:50 PM

Imagine. Tata can easily put a hybrid system on this one, get it US code compliant and sell it for under $6K! A top speed of 75 mph would be more than enough.

All this baloney about this not being ready for US highways is utter nonsense. Except for the yahoos in those red-states where greeting your visitors with a double barrel shot gun passes for "southern-hospitality", everybody else is stuck in traffic nowadays. Face it, if you live in a place that is halfway decent and where the jobs are, you are going to sitting in traffic -- just like everybody else.

This will do just fine in those conditions.

nora banuelos

July 15, 2009 11:53 PM

i want the tata nano!
its great...

how could i get more information on the car? and where to buy one i live in the us...city-pomona

i want all the information on it please let me know thanks

nora banuelos

July 15, 2009 11:53 PM

i want the tata nano!
its great...

i want all the information on it please let me know thanks

PH

July 26, 2009 5:57 PM

I think you are selling Tata Nano short, remember when the VW Bug hit the US market? It was sold as a car for under $1000 US and sold like hot cakes.( and it was bare bones, no radio) We are still trying to aquire them.
Ship it to the USA and it will sell, with a long waiting list.

S Sudarshan

July 30, 2009 5:22 PM

If Tata were to modify the car to meet US standards, it will cost more probably in the range of $4000.00 or so. But still for that price we can buy buy one every 2 years and still save a ton of $$$.
Tata has had reliability issues with some of their existing products. If they have to sell this car in the US, they have to make sure it is reliable and low on maintenance. They already have a good dealer network, so if they plan it out carefully I think this car will be a win win for Tata and consumers.

Sam

August 20, 2009 8:59 PM

The European Safety Commission that tests new vehicles has just approved the NANO for Europe and it is expected to be on the roads over there in late 2011. It's only a matter of time before it makes it's way over the the USA. It will be fun to see Ford, GM and all the other manufacturers slash prices to compete. The winner? Us! The consumer!!

Sharlene

August 21, 2009 5:50 PM

I LOVE THE NANO CAR. I would be in line to buy and own one of these cars. Just tell me where to go to get one. Everyone cries about it being just a basic car but it does come with a A/C version. We Americans are spoiled with the American gas guzzlers. The Auto industries have interest in the gas companies so they want us to drive gas guzzlers to put money in their pockets.WAKE UP AMERICA

Motor Head

September 27, 2009 6:25 PM

The Tata is a great Idea,,not a new mind you,The Beetle had this market for almost 40 years and years after it stopped production,,,,If you want a Tata type car,,BUY AN OLD BEETLE!!!The old beetle is a better car and cheaper to maintain.Mexico just stopped production of these beetles about 5 years ago,,send an old frame pan to mexico bring back a new beeltle for around 3800.00. India cant build a good hammer let alone a car? Jaguar and Land Rover are finished,,,thats why it went to India in the first place,,there comes a time when car companies are spent out and there time has sadly come.

Peter

October 29, 2009 4:47 AM

I am a college student in need of cheap reliable transportation to and from school. I do not need luxury, i do not need to drive on the highway. What I do need is a safer alternative to the scooter that I currently ride. It is just not safe to ride a scooter in the snow and ice of a Michigan winter. How can US law allow motorcycles yet offer no room for cheap four wheeled vehicles for use on city streets?

Richard Ostrand

November 13, 2009 10:51 PM

I think Mr. Nussbaum has it all wrong with Americans. We are quickly realing that pursuing luxury and ostentation in an expensive, crowded, and polluted world is not a viable as it once was. There is a need for an inexpensive, side-street worthy car. Many high school and community college students would much rather use one of these instead of a bicycle or motorcycle--particularly in rainy climates. And there is an increasing poverty-level class in American who can't afford anything else. Golf carts cannot go fast enough, even for side streets; they have a very limited range; and they aren't allowed on many public streets--at not in the main traffic lanes.

Max Ramos

November 24, 2009 5:04 AM

we love the nano car,is supost to be in USA

hedy van Harlinger

February 3, 2010 3:36 PM

How can I get a TaTa please email info on how to order the new tata nano car!.....

Ladagosta

June 5, 2010 5:44 AM

common stop talking and get them in here. everyone could benefit from this move.. poor people even rich people open your own dealership and sell them the demand will be large.... this is a solve all for many economic hardships presented to the usa our oil consumption will be less and well the whole overall picture looks brighter what is the delay ,,,common already get them on the road in the usa honestly i would deal with the car even if it had no a/c so long as it saves on the cost to run and still can hold 4 people.. hey even if it only held 2 people at that price.. it is almost like ride a motorcycle.. butt at least you have something protecting you from the elements.. at the cost they project them to cost.. most everyone can afford that and replace every few years or so.. cant beat this .. well until the money hungry jerks jack the price up so that what was a good deal becomes a bad deal.. always someone who wants cheat people and turn a good thing into something bad.. this would help our economy in so many different ways..

stacy

July 7, 2010 11:07 PM

this is what the american people need too hell with luxuary we need something we can afford afterall they are robbing us blind on gas besides i would like to go to work and not have to take my entire check for gas hell why go to work

jkurtz7

July 26, 2010 3:00 AM

fuck the usa, there is no cure to pacify the fat greedy american pigs. keep on destroying the earth.

cheche

December 3, 2010 9:58 PM

GMC thought the EV1 is going to be a toy, a 60 miles on a charge? no body wants them but college students only, and what happen well you know; they killed the electric car, so they learned the lesson. a car 50 mpg for $4000.00 no way that this is going to happen again. they don't want to go broke or change their old ways of big cars and gas sucker.

helena

January 23, 2011 10:15 AM

everybody need to call this #202-456-1414. (it is the ph # for ombama) they need to tell him to get out of bed with the oil companys and the auto companys and stop fucking the usa people and get these cars over here!!!!!

ed wood

May 4, 2011 11:22 PM

They will not be available for $2500 in the states. Those are more comparable for luxury scooters. However I would like to see Tata try what VW did in the 60's. It better be built to last if it will be simple. I would like to see one fall in the 6-8k range with the required American safety options put in. It makes me sad to see the most simple cars starting at 14K if you want an automatic transmission.