Is Denmark The World's Leading Information Technology Power?

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on March 28, 2007

Yes, according to the World Economic Forum’s Networked Readiness Index, which measures a country’s ability to exploit information and communication technology to foster innovation and growth. The U.S. slipped from No. 1 in 06 to to No. 7 in 07. Sweden came in second, followed by Singapore, Finland, the Netherlands and Switzerland. China dropped to 59 and India to 44.

The study, done in association with INSEAD, blamed the low rate of mobile phone usage, bad government telecom policy, and low math and science scores for the decline of the US.

Well, the study should make the Europeans feel better. And clearly, the US has the worst mobile phone system in the world. It’s students score poorly on international science and math tests. But, somehow, the consistently high showing of the Nordic countries over the past five years of this WEF survey, the decline of China and India this year and the measures themselves leave me uneasy about the meaning of the survey’s results.

Yes, I worry about being “American-centric” here. Dig into the WEF report and let me know what you think the true truth is on this issue.

Mats

March 29, 2007 3:29 PM

I am not sure if I follow the logic that "the consistently high showing of the Nordic countries" would make the survey less valid. The Nordic countries score high on almost every list (even if the internal rankings between the countries tend to vary) that covers IT development, adoption/penetration of new technology etc, so this would rather confirm the conclusions. But then again, I am Swedish, so I could be accused of being "Nordic-centric"...;-)

karunakara

May 15, 2007 1:29 PM

I want to know about the leading IT companies in the world

Mr.robertson

May 16, 2008 7:51 AM

i like this

DANIEL

October 5, 2008 3:39 PM

PLEASE I WANT A LIST OF ALL THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SCH/COLLEGES IN DENMARK. I WANT TO CORRESPOND TO SOME OF THEM AND PURSUE IT PROGRAMMES.
AM FROM GHANA.

ramesh

April 27, 2009 9:28 AM

i want list of famous software companies in denmark

paras

June 18, 2009 5:01 AM

Hi i am a software test engineer from INDIA working for SAIC . my totals work experience is 4 yrs all into the Testing domain. Pls let me know how good are the opportunities in denmark for IT professionals like me .