Starbucks And Jet Blue--You Are Losing Me.

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on August 04, 2006

Starbucks stock price isn’t doing too well, and neither is JetBlue’s, while other cX companies (companies that give good consumer experience) have strong earnings and strength in the stock market. What gives?

My own personal experiences in recent weeks may explain the problem—and the need to solve it before people look at Starbucks and JetBlue the way they often look at Detroit. So…On a flight back from Fort Lauderdale last Sunday on JetBlue (my favorite airline), the plane was late, the seat and floor were dirty (I stepped in gum as I sat down and it stuck to my shoe the whole trip—now that’s a nice experience), and the coffee (Dunkin Donuts) was awful. It tasted burnt. A couple more of this kind of experience and JetBlue will lose me.

Starbucks too. I have a favorite Starbucks near where I work and I stop in many times a week to get my caffeine. Lately, they changed the line process. Instead of two lines or three lines, there is now one long line. Way too long for me as I race to work. They’re losing me. And in this heat, I like my iced coffee. In the past, I got it pretty fast. Now, I wait in the same line behind people ordering some pretty complex, fancy stuff. That means waiting even longer. So, now I poke my head into the Starbucks—and walk away. Not a great consumer experience.

I don’t know how typical my recent personal experience with JetBlue and Starbucks is, but if any bigshots at those companies are reading this, listen up. YOU ARE LOSING ME. CLEAN UP YOUR ACT.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Dirk Karl Maßat

August 5, 2006 12:41 AM

great site with very good look and perfect information...i like it

Manuel

August 5, 2006 05:29 PM

Hi Bruce,

Firstly, congratulations for this fantastic blog. I consider innovation as the key factor for prosperity in every field you work on.

I agree with you in your experience about Starbucks in Europe. I used to spend my summers in Edinburgh, where I took my cofees and chocolates very quickly. Nowadays I am in New York, and I realized that I have to wait a lot just in order to get my coffee and that is very annoying. I don't have any experience with JetBlue, but so far, my short experience in the US says that I have to wait in a lot of places (not to mention in the Mail Offices -waiting half an hour for sending two letters!).

Anyway, I agree with you that companies such as Starbucks or JetBlue should put more attention with their relationship with consumers if they don't want to lose them.

Thank you for your Blog!

Manuel Baigorri (Spain)

Scott Weisbrod

August 9, 2006 05:45 PM

Hi Bruce,

Maybe you saw this:

Seems directly related to your observations and reasons for skipping Starbucks occassionally.

I've been keeping an eye on the impact that customer experience has on business performance (http://www.scottweisbrod.com/index.php/?p=121) and appreciate some of the posts you've published in relation to this (a recent post about Jeneanne Ray from Peer Insight comes to mind).

Cheers,
Scott

lynne

February 19, 2007 03:54 PM

next time fly delta out of fll. great experience!!

Partner

March 9, 2007 01:50 PM

Thanks for informations.Great works thanks

Timo Cellun

March 18, 2007 01:49 PM

Great for this document i search hours ,now i found it

Thanks

Timo

Heinz

April 4, 2007 11:47 AM

hi Brus,
I'm from germany and my english is not so gut!!
but wat i anderstand is very good >
Urlaub mit unserem kleinen Border-Collie Linus in Irland, Schafe hüten will gelernt sein und Linus wollte immer mehr! Linus ist am 06.09.2004 geboren. Wir haben Linus im Alter von 8 Wochen von einem Bauern bekommen, seither ist er unser treuer Begleiter. Urlaub ist ohne Linus nicht mehr denkbar. Unseren letzten Urlaub haben wir in Irland verbracht. Dieses hatte zweierlei Gründe: Erstens wir wollten mit Linus Hüten lernen und zweitens wollte Sabine, meine Partnerin, ein Wiedersehen mit Irland

Heinz

April 4, 2007 11:48 AM

hi Bruc,

Heinz

April 4, 2007 11:49 AM

verry good is document

Branchen

April 13, 2007 05:51 PM

And now the price is back again nearly on the same level

Maik

April 20, 2007 01:05 PM

Thanks for this information.

Jason

April 20, 2007 05:18 PM

A local Starbucks was my "place of choice" when meeting with clients. It was never my favorite coffee, but it was a nice place to go and have a caffeine "treat". Now, the place is ALWAYS crowded and hard to hear people and the coffee is awful. Now, when I have to go there to meet a client, I will only get the green tea and lemonade (which I love). They are losing me too.

Jet Blue lost me a long time ago. When I go to Las Vegas from Fort Lauderdale, all flights first stop in New York. Talk about out of the way!!

Tapeten

May 13, 2007 07:57 AM

Great and excellent article t’s realy helpful. Thanks again.
Wow. Very impressive.

Heinz

June 23, 2007 08:43 AM

I'm from germany and my english languageis is verry bad, i'm sorry!!
I'm anderstand not so manny thinks but I'm anderstand a littel bit to now sam thinks. I'm want to Say your site is verry good. Thank for singt in her.

Robert

June 26, 2007 11:21 PM

Interesting and hard experiences.
That´s life. Sorry!

FrEe sMs

June 27, 2007 09:36 PM

hey, nice work. and nice website.

re-nature

July 3, 2007 08:08 AM

The text speaks me from the soul. But the Web masters will follow only if they see and for the moment see a use the mass no use in following the W3C. Most sides are still built and partially with tables with very bad CSS and not very beautiful HTML /xhtml. It would have to be put by therefore it the Webmastern to more to the heart Standardkomform to build.

Michael

July 21, 2007 09:02 AM

Thanks for this information!

Lena Hamburg

July 22, 2007 05:39 PM

We see: Profit is the maxim.

Bernhard Heß

July 31, 2007 02:07 PM

Great site with many informations. Congratulations and thanks!

kalu

August 8, 2007 06:40 AM

nice work, for this information Thanks.

free sms liste

August 22, 2007 11:12 PM

nice site

gratis sms

August 25, 2007 04:01 PM

nice work, its helpeful for me. thx

renatura

September 12, 2007 07:55 AM

hi bruce,
gute arbeit! ich habe jetzt auch einen Blog über Umwelt. Schau mal rein
Heinz

re-nature

September 12, 2007 07:57 AM

sehr schön hier, sehr guter Bericht.
und interessant. Mein Webkatalog ist auch cool schau mal rein

chain saw

September 13, 2007 01:21 PM

Well, now, imagine if Jet Blue gave you Starbucks coffee? He he. Don't know what you'd think about that!
I don't know much about Jet Blue – staying outside of your country – but I know a bit about StarBucks. Firstly, I think their coffee is GREAT. Second to that, though, the line system sounds a little ridiculous. It could that perhaps they're a little understaffed? Going back to a one line system, to me, sounds like they're going really backwards. There must be a darn good reason for them to do that, and they should at least let people know what it is. For years a three line system clearly works best (that's why most franchises use it) and I can't imagine why they'd go back to a one line system. Very strange!

real dvd directory

September 14, 2007 01:34 PM

It is a real dvd directory.
I've find there everything I need.

Passivhaus Bauen

September 15, 2007 07:00 PM

Thanks you so much for this information. Will be very helpful for much report on Jet Blue!

FrEe SmS

September 16, 2007 12:03 PM

Nice Website. Thanks for this information.

free sms ohne Anmeldung

September 17, 2007 10:06 AM

Thanks for the helpful article!

gratis sms

September 18, 2007 09:06 PM

nice work. thx!

Daniela

October 8, 2007 09:04 AM

pagina muy interesante y con muchas informaciones, gracias

Artikelverzeichnis

October 10, 2007 11:27 AM

Thank You for another very interesting article. It’s really good written and I fully agree with You on main issue, btw. I must say that I really enjoyed reading all of Your posts. It’s interesting to read ideas, and observations from someone else’s point of view… it makes you think more. So please try to keep up the great work all the time. Greetings

Rette die Erde!

October 15, 2007 03:21 PM

Wenn wir auf diesem Planeten weiter existieren wollen, müssen wir umdenken. "Jetzt ist nicht die Zeit für halbherzige Aktionen. Es fängt im Kleinen an. Machen Sie auch mit? Es lohnt sich für uns alle!

Sacher

October 15, 2007 03:26 PM

Rette die Erde! Was wir tun müssen, damit die Menschheit überlebt?

Es brennt. An allen Ecken und Enden unseres Hauses lodern die Flammen. Die Hitze wird unerträglich. Wenn wir überleben wollen, müssen wir raus aus dem Haus. So schnell wie möglich. Es geht um unser Leben und das unserer Kinder. Doch wohin?

Wir sind gefangen auf einem Planeten, den wir selbst angezündet haben. Fast acht Milliarden Menschen in Not. Der Fluchtweg ist uns versperrt. Zwischen uns und einem möglichen sicheren Hafen liegen die unendlichen und unüberbrückbaren Weiten des Universums. Wir haben also keine andere Wahl, als selbst das Feuer zu löschen.

Jeden Tag verbrennen wir zehn Millionen Tonnen Erdöl, 12,5 Millionen Tonnen Steinkohle und 7,5 Milliarden Kubikmeter Erdgas. Wir verbrauchen und vergeuden Energie, als gäbe es kein Morgen mehr. Kein Wunder, dass die Atmosphäre unseres Planeten sich aufheizt.

Die Polkappen schmelzen, die ersten Eisbären verhungern oder ertrinken. Der Meeresspiegel steigt, Urlaubsparadiese wie die Bahamas wird es bald nicht mehr geben. New York säuft ab, Hongkong säuft ab, Hamburg und Rostock saufen ab. Nix mehr mit Karneval in Rio oder Salsa auf Kuba. Aus! Finito! Schluss! weiter lesen unter:

Sacher

October 18, 2007 07:01 PM

Thanks for informations.Great works thanks

osram sparlampe

October 28, 2007 10:41 PM

sms

October 29, 2007 10:31 PM

Good Work, Bruce!

Muskelaufbau

October 31, 2007 11:59 AM

thx for the great stuff. keep up your nice work

Hip Hop Klamotten

November 9, 2007 11:02 AM

Thanks for very interesting article. btw. I really enjoyed reading all of your posts. It’s interesting to read ideas, and observations from someone else’s point of view… makes you think more. So please keep up the great work. Greetings. Bye bye.

Tapeten

November 10, 2007 10:57 PM

I think these blog is really useful for new comers and Excellent resource list.
It´s a very interesting Blog and simple answer of many questions.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks it helps me a lot…

yellowpages

November 13, 2007 05:32 AM

Wonderful Article i enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing with us!

Webtechnik

November 19, 2007 05:07 PM

Thanks for the article. Starbucks is also in Germany, but I think it works quite well here.

Regards from

November 20, 2007 10:47 AM

Thanks for all the informations.Its a wonderful and very interesting Blog.

Mirko

December 11, 2007 03:29 PM

Thanks for the blog. Starbucks might stand for high quality, but it's also quite expensive. I don't know Jet Blue, are they also in Germany?
Branchenverzeichnis