Apple's iPod and applesauce

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on September 27, 2005

Is Apple facing a consumer backlash over the iPod that will make applesauce of its reputation? A really smart innovation consultant, Larry Keeley of Doblin, Inc. thinks this may be the case. Now Keeley is no Apple-basher. In fact, he believes Apple is one of the most innovative companies in the world. Why? It innovates in many kinds of innovative spaces simultaneously. This sharply increases the chances of success. Keeley says that the iPod broke the MP3 mold by innovating in 7 types of innovation. But he says Apple may have blown it with the iPod batteries.

You know the story. Hard to replace. Expensive. An early web campaign by loyal iPoders angry at Apple over the batteries. But most of the millions of average consumers who bought their iPods are oblivious to this inside-Apple culture fight. Lots of them bought their iPods a year or so ago and may soon find their batteries going down. Or dead. Keeley thinks this may produce a serious backlash. Think sales, profits, stock price. I don’t know if Keeley is right. But we’ll soon see.

Hmmm. Just went to Apple’s site to see if there was a photo of an iPod I might download and found this other battery problem listed. Does Apple have a thing with batteries?

steve baker

September 27, 2005 8:42 PM

Apple's problem now is that the nano's scratch very easily. It's angering people, and if Apple doesn't respond quickly and well, I'm betting it's going to give their reputation a tarring.

Niti Bhan

September 27, 2005 8:50 PM

Not just batteries, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4286294.stm

but scratched screens in the new Nano as well.

Stefan Engeseth

September 27, 2005 10:12 PM

The best quality Apple have is there fans, but even fans can run out of energy.

Why can’t they use Apple fans like Isamu Sanada (www.applele.com) whom came up with better ideas than the company’s own R&D?

Patrick Misterovich

September 28, 2005 1:53 PM

Apple makes such beautiful, flawless looking products. Of course, there is backlash if they don't live up to perfection. I give them credit for setting the bar so high. But, it can be a dangerous place to live. Maybe the time is right for something different. Something with an entirely different esthetic.

Dave Schroeder

October 6, 2005 8:39 PM

Since every single lithium ion battery on earth will eventually need to be replaced, and Apple has its own battery replacement program for $59 (or you can do it yourself from any of exeedingly numerous vendors for as little as under $30), I really don't see what this continuing obsession with the batteries is.

apple battery

April 26, 2008 7:32 AM

I tested this camera for a client. I didn’t have the light running for more than 15 minutes. The battery lasted approximately 6 hours before recharging. The LCD, however, had a few dead pixels - never saw this before. Tried returning for exchange and had to put up quite a fight. Anyone else seen this? http://www.batteryfast.co.uk

apple batrery

May 11, 2008 3:22 AM

apple battery

May 27, 2008 2:50 AM

I tested this camera for a client. I didn’t have the light running for more than 15 minutes. The battery lasted approximately 6 hours before recharging. The LCD, however, had a few dead pixels - never saw this before. Tried returning for exchange and had to put up quite a fight. Anyone else seen this? http://www.batteryfast.com

ipod batteries

March 14, 2009 6:59 AM

It's worth adding that if your iPod refuses to go into Disk Mode and you hear a noticeable clicking sound the problem might just be corrosion on the HDD cable and will need cleaned periodically.

ipod batteries

Cheap Computers

July 7, 2009 4:23 PM

Its true that Apple is the most innovative company and it is hard to replace it as it very expensive and do not have any resale value even though you sale it in their display centre ........

HAYNES28Lilly

June 1, 2010 5:17 AM

When you are in uncomfortable position and have no money to go out from that point, you will need to receive the business loans. Just because it should help you definitely. I get auto loan every time I need and feel myself OK just because of it.

Fatuppyantags

September 3, 2010 11:27 PM

Hey Guys
Its is beneficial to use spy gadgets for security
Gps Tracking Device track your car or any object using satellite
Gps tracking device
I know Good spy gadgets store

Have a Good day

Fatuppyantags

September 5, 2010 9:34 PM

Hi
Spy cameras are used for offices and home.
Gps Tracking Device track your car or any object using satellite
DVR spy recorder
If you find any good spy gadgets store please tell me

See you with more details

geld lenen

January 22, 2011 6:58 PM

obaepvsiicmkqakohmvlicsdkhqbashn

Flagyl no rx

April 17, 2011 9:27 AM

Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

generic Fluconazole+order online

April 18, 2011 10:06 AM

Thanks for taking the time to talk about this, I feel fervently about this and I take pleasure in learning about this topic. Please, as you gain information, please update this blog with more information. I have found it very useful. There have to be charging stations everywhere.

how much does strattera cost

April 19, 2011 5:25 PM

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game.

where to purchase Fluconazole

April 21, 2011 8:32 AM

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass' favor.

vintage furniture

April 29, 2011 8:06 PM

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it'll do even better in those areas, but for now it's a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod's strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

where i can buy lopid cheap

May 1, 2011 8:03 PM

Between me and my husband we've owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I've settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

hybrid muscle

May 21, 2011 8:54 AM

I've been doing crunches and press ups recently, but I ache a bit still and haven't done them since last night... . Will this affect the development of my muscles or not?.

cheap Flagyl buy fast delivery

May 22, 2011 6:52 PM

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like 'Mixview' that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you're listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of "neighbors" will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune "Social" is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.