Top Time Editor To Become BusinessWeek's New Editor

Posted by: Tom Lowry on November 17, 2009

Josh Tyrangiel .jpg
Josh Tyrangiel, a deputy managing editor at Time magazine and the top editor of its online operations, will become the first editor of a Bloomberg-owned BusinessWeek. The acquisition, announced Oct. 13, is expected to close in early December.

By selecting the 37-year-old Tyrangiel who is not a business journalist per se, Bloomberg clearly wants a leader for BusinessWeek who is not only a highly-regarded editor but someone who has demonstrated he knows how to reach a wider array of readers in both print and online. A major reason Bloomberg LP executives pursued BusinessWeek was to reach a broader audience beyond Wall Street and the professional investor communities.

“I saw Josh in a number of leadership positions as he took on increasing responsibilities at TIME,” says Norman Pearlstine, Bloomberg’s chief content officer and a former editor-in-chief of Time Inc., Time’s parent. “Working closely with him …. I came to appreciate his intelligence, curiosity, energy, and integrity. Josh is recognized within Time Inc. and its parent, Time Warner Inc., as an ‘editor’s editor’ and a natural leader. His understanding of the ways in which print and online publications can work together will serve Bloomberg well as we expand our consumer media offerings.”

In some media circles, Tyrangiel was considered a leading candidate to succeed Time managing editor Richard Stengel. According to sources, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes was so impressed with Tyrangiel that he tried to recruit him to be come the editor of CNN.com, the online arm of the 24-hour cable news channel, but Time Inc.’s current editor-in-chief John Huey intervened and convinced Tyrangiel to stay at Time with the promise that he might one day succeed Stengel.

During his tenure at Time.com, Tyrangiel boosted the Web site’s traffic from 400 million page views in 2006 to what could be an estimated 1.8 billion page views this year. Previous to Time, Tyrangiel worked at Rolling Stone and Vibe magazines and served as a news producer at MTV.

“Josh Tyrangiel will be a tremendous asset as we build the market presence of BusinessWeek backed by Bloomberg’s global multimedia news organization, to create the most compelling business news for the most sought-after readers.,” said Bloomberg L.P. President Daniel Doctoroff.

Tyrangiel will report to Pearlstine, who in turn will report on editorial matters to Matthew Winkler, Bloomberg’s editor-in-chief. “Norm and Josh are the ideal team to deliver a terrific business magazine that brings the most trusted, most influential and most important news to a global audience of thought leaders,” said Winkler.

Tyrangiel will work alongside BusinessWeek executive editors Ellen Pollock and John Byrne and managing editor Ciro Scotti. Pearlstine announced earlier that they would continue in their roles at the magazine. Tyrangiel succeeds Stephen J. Adler, who announced his resignation as editor-in-chief on Oct. 20.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

techgm

November 17, 2009 11:33 AM

Wow! Readers of Business Week can look forward to the same unbiased, thoroughly-researched, agenda-less reporting that has been the hallmark of Time.

BW is headed down the TUBES

November 17, 2009 11:52 AM

I quit subscribing to TIME because it was deeply biased to the right.

I intend to let my BW subscription to lapse for the same reasons.

In this polarizing media world there are fewer and fewer honest, unbiased journalistic outlets. This is sad because whenever management bias influences reporting the result is less accurate reporting which is yet another cut in the heart of the American system of democracy.

It's sad, but not really a surprise, nor much of a change to the chamber-of-commerce-tilted publication.

Robert

November 17, 2009 12:51 PM

It's easy to believe that a new editor - particularly with a change of ownership - is going to send a media property over the cliff. I'm hopeful Mr. Tyrangiel will take a deep breath, and contemplate very carefully the strong legacy through the decades of this great magazine. If it goes in the dumpster - people will remember that it happened on his watch!

J.

November 17, 2009 01:30 PM

Good luck to Josh - he's got a tough job ahead of him.

My only thought is: does anyone at the new BusinessWeek NOT work for Time Inc as their previous job?

Am I the only one to notice that it's like an "editorial exodus" over at the T&L Building...? I guess the folks over at Time Inc are breathing a sigh of relief...one less mouth to feed.

Alvin

November 17, 2009 01:50 PM

I just extended my subscription thinking the Bloomberg/Wall Street Journal style would be merged with BW's style. Oh well, if it looks like Time Magazine, I can always donate the subscription to charity. Do you think that qualifies for tax write-off?

Digital Don

November 17, 2009 02:06 PM

I thought John Byrne was the ME for online. Bloomberg announce he was staying, so I wonder what this means for him?

It is sad that reader comments must always head first into political divisiveness these days. I would contend that Mr. Tubes' comment might more aptly be:

In this polarizing POLITICAL world, there are fewer and fewer READERS who are willing to accept the possibility of a viewpoint that doesn't agree with their own and who judge that viewpoint (right or left) strictly based on their own position.

Karl

November 17, 2009 02:31 PM

Alvin, Maybe someone in your neighborhood will be getting their children a puppy for Christmas, right? You can always give them the paper that the BW articles are written on for 'puppy training', huh? Happy Holidays.

Roberta

November 17, 2009 04:32 PM

If BusinessWeek wants to WIN, the last thing they need to do is get even more watered down. I stopped reading the print edition two years ago after the last major re-design - which made the magazine more like USA Today.

Stop writing bland, vanilla, consumer business journalism. PLEASE start writing hard-hitting, forward thinking, and relevant to mid-to-sr level business people journalism.

Barbara

November 17, 2009 05:14 PM

Can someone who doesn't know business journalism and where all the experts and bodies are hidden really take over this magazine at this difficult time? I surely hope that this steep learning curve is understood by all. My hat is off to Mr.T for taking on such an audacious assignment. We'll all be watching in the business book community.

G. DeMohrenschildt

November 24, 2009 05:04 PM

Sorry Josh, but I possess a finely tuned journalistic advocacy detector. With pedigrees from Penn, Yale, Rolling Stone and Time, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume you'll be an liberal flack - you know, muddying the waters regarding Obama's disastrous economic policies while subtly soft-selling it's supposed benefits and distracting the eye from it's larger agenda. I'm letting my subscription lapse. You'll survive, but I fear BW is headed towards the same fate as newspapers and news magazines - oblivion.

GD