The Horrible Inevitability Of Tila Tequila

Posted by: Jon Fine on September 7, 2007

It should have been blindingly obvious that Tila Tequila’s MySpace fame would continue migrating offline, and indeed it has. First, the record deal; now the reality show. From Variety:

[MTV] has greenlit “A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila,” a reality-dating show featuring the titular star, whose MySpace profile is touted as having the most friends in the history of MySpace.

Show is set up in the manner of “The Bachelor”: about 30 contestants will move into a house and be put through a set of competitions in a bid to win Tequila’s affections. The star will make eliminations at the end of every episode.

Further hook is that Tequila, who is described as bisexual, will be choosing among men and women; contestants will be split evenly between straight men and gay women.

Some time ago I was convinced that CBS’ Kid Nation (a show we’ve heard so much about, we’re in danger of getting sick of it before it even debuts) was the reality show most perfectly pitched on the razor-thin line between genius and evil. But that was before I heard the set-up for “A Shot At Love With etc.”

Although I can’t imagine actually watching “A Shot At Love.” In recent months, my tolerance for pain-inducing TV has dropped somewhat. I’ve got a DVR full of “The Two Coreys”—which I’ve already spent too much time thinking about—but I’ve been afraid to actually sit through any of it.

Meanwhile: in 1990 or so I was briefly in a band that had a song about (and named after) a drunk the bassist once met at a bar:

Sheila Tequila.

Don

September 7, 2007 12:44 PM

Sheila Tequila, heck we were all Jimmy Buffet fans once.

Lawson

September 10, 2007 4:23 PM

best title ever! this article alleviated a grand depression that had been lurking inside me ever since I first visited the myspace 'charts' and learned of tila, or tina, whatever. i feel so much better knowing that someone else thinks something is horrible. maybe the future isn't so much greenlighting those things we love but instead coming up with a way to collectively despise the right things.

Mandy

October 10, 2007 9:58 AM

I watched the premiere episode last night, and to be honest, I found it much better and a lot more entertaining than any of the past reality TV shows I've seen recently. I think that at least you should try watching one episode of it, give it your opinion, and if you don't like it - ignore it. You'd be very surprised, I think.

Nicola Battista

October 17, 2007 3:16 PM

I don't need to watch her show (ahem, here in Italy we don't have it anyway... not yet at least) to know what I already know... (see http://www.musicblob.it/what-happened-to-tila-tequila-a-musicblob-exclusive.html) ;)
I only recently discovered the perfect word to describe a phenomenon like Tila: ASTROTURFING! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing) :)

Steve

October 22, 2007 8:28 PM

I only started hearing about her recently and had to do a search to find out who she was!

Can look here for more info...

So then I watched the MTV show and she is pretty sexy, although with the tats, pretty slutty too, although I like that also!!

But the show is funny, watching all the men and woman compete for her!!

Monika

October 23, 2007 11:31 PM

who cares about tila effing tequila.....she's just doing this stupid show because she has no myspace friends that know her personally. she is no different than britney spears...oh and she almost died of drinking tequila...hence the name. but shes stupid for making fun of the fact she almost died. she makes women look like "objects" and has no definte respect for herself.....mtv is a load of crap that plays no more music....boycott.

Dhiraj

November 4, 2007 10:06 PM

first time i saw this show, i wondered how those guys and girls are even attracted to her... I will pull myself away from her lol

anyways .... She is not sure what she wants sausage or peperoni and will end up in having nothing.. I sure do pray

Markus

November 13, 2007 12:21 AM

I never knew who this Tila raunchy Tequila person was up until that mtv show. I saw an episode and not to be mean or anything but I was very confused as to what it was about her, those contestants found so hot about? Tila is a very small, typical, girl next door (in a bad neighborhood), type.Theres hundreds of much hotter looking women on myspace who can have just as many (or more) friends and real talent backing them. And this little dolled up so and so is the one who gets a raunchy tv show made to look as if she was the goddess of hot? Hahahah Thats american television for you. ^_^ Facts about Myspace.com: Its easy to accumulate friends by the thousands in months, then millions in about a year's worth of networking. Tila was busy. Dont mistake her internet status from pure fandom requests. Especially spam city Myspace.com.

Autumn

April 5, 2008 7:56 PM

i think she is making this world worse. im already sick of mTV reality shows and this one is horrible. i have a 3 month old and it's sad to think how terrible this world is gonna be once she is older

courtney