Obscure Music Statistics Of The Day

Posted by: Jon Fine on August 28, 2007

I’m at work on a music biz-related column and it’s given me the chance to geek out on all manner of sales stats. No real surprises lurk in the below data, but it’s nevertheless an interesting snapshot of some currents in the market right now.

Genres that sold the highest percentage of total album sales as digital downloads, first half of 2007, per Nielsen SoundScan:

Electronic (17.5%)
New Age (15.5%)
Alternative (15.1%)

Genres that sold the lowest percentage of total album sales as digital downloads, first half of ’07:

Latin (1.4%)
Gospel (3.2%)
Country (4.9%)

(Genres for which Nielsen SoundScan tracks sales data: Alternative, Classical, Country, Hard Music, Jazz, R&B, Rap, Soundtrack, Latin, Gospel, New Age, Rock, and Electronic.)

Don

August 29, 2007 10:02 AM

Do you see data on sales of physical CDs or better yet, music-related DVDs?

Jon Fine

August 29, 2007 10:20 AM

Nielsen SoundScan data say total (physical) CD sales for the first half of of '07 was 205.7 million. This is down 19.3% from the first half of last year.

I don't have any data on music DVD sales.

Don

August 30, 2007 9:49 AM

Anecdotally I've heard kids say they download music, but buy DVDs to play on their widescreen hdtvs.

Tracy

September 6, 2007 4:06 PM

As a member of online communities for Constantine Maroulis, I found this article very interesting. He has just produced his first album by setting up his own record label, Sixth Place Records. He has a distribution deal with Sony Red, so I guess they are responsible for making the physical product and getting it into stores. I think the rest is up to Constantine to get out there to the radio stations, do the interviews, try to get the music played. It seems really tough, though. One radio station said as soon as the song was popular, they'd start playing it. Have they got the cart before the horse?

He's about to go on tour for the album, and that will help get the word out that the cd is now for sale.

He would be a great one to interview for more information about the new methods for selling music, since he is taking the bull by the horns by starting his own company and making the cd (he got out of a record deal with Atlantic Records, which he signed a couple of years ago, but was not happy with what was going on).

Your statistics make his album sales at this point look just fine, though.

Jordan Perez

October 9, 2007 3:21 PM

Well my only comment is that if you could help me out cuz im doing a music review in my high school journalism class and i could use your help. I need more in depth stats and on specific genres and artists...if you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Yolanda

November 15, 2007 4:29 PM

Where does Rap/Hip Hop stand in the ratings or sales stats?

stephanie

August 15, 2008 8:56 AM

what is the percentage of people that listen to country music?