Don Imus Hires Legendary Lawyer Martin Garbus

Posted by: Jon Fine on April 20, 2007

Don Imus, the most famous former radio DJ in America, has hired renowned attorney Martin Garbus.

Garbus, a partner in the Manhattan law firm Davis & Gilbert, confirmed on Apr. 20 that the deposed radio host has retained his services, but he declined to discuss why. Garbus also declined to discuss whether Imus was plotting any legal action against his former employers at CBS and MSNBC. A brief sentence on Garbus’ personal blog, late Friday afternoon, noted that Garbus “represents Don Imus in a dispute with CBS”—a sentence that was later removed from the blog.

A ferocious litigator who has received numerous media citations as one of America’s leading trial lawyers, Garbus has represented clients as diverse as the comic Lenny Bruce, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Nancy Reagan, and pioneering rap group Public Enemy.

Full story is here.

glenn e brandon jr

April 26, 2007 3:27 PM

MSNBC said gm s threat to pull advertising is why Imus way fired!!Why does a company take the risk in getting involved in racial/political matters and use its power to get a 66 year old man fired,a person the spends his time and money for SIDs research and runs a ranch for kids dying of cancer.I get from this that GN DOES NOT SUPORT THESE CAUSES.Why would GM risk the companys shareholders money from looks to be the lawsuit of the century,Don Imus is damaged as much as any person in tort law ever.Notwithstanding a 66 year old white male fired for doing exactley what he was paid to do and had been doing with full knowledge of advertisers.gm executives used to call in to chat with imus,,,,,,,i WOULD FIX THIS ONE QUICK BEFORE THE FIRE WORKS START!!!!

John

April 30, 2007 4:37 PM

Somebody should look at the entire body of work Don Imus has put together before judging him. If you forget the ranch (which you shouldn't do), he's raised more money, for more causes, than nearly anyone in history. His knowledge of our culture, be it pop or African-American, coupled with the incredible variety of forums in which he speaks, should be more than enough to overcome a single remark which was obviously meant as humorous, not harmful. It repulses me to see the "Al Sharptons" of the world jump in for another fifteen minutes of fame......shamefull!

Ray Gardner

April 30, 2007 5:44 PM

If an African American hip-hop D.J. or radio satirist had uttered the same statements as Don Imus would there have been such indignation on the part of the African American community? Don't the lyrics of most "gangsta" rap songs use much worse descriptive language, when referring to African American females, with little if any criticism by the median upper level management? Isn't all of this much ado about nothing?

marilyn ritter

May 2, 2007 4:40 PM

A day without Imus is a day without sunshine. We miss him and wish him success with any potential litigation. The termination was disgusting and humiliating to a man who has done so much for so many charities. While his comments were off-color at times, that was not to be unexpected. I only hope the Imus Ranch for Kids with Cancer can survive this and that the I-man can stay strong. We love you and your family. Good luck and best regards.

PAT & RANDY JAMES

May 2, 2007 9:21 PM

DON IMUS, WHERE ARE YOU? WE WANT YOU BACK. YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON, WE LOVE ALL YOU DO FOR THE CHILDREN, OUR VETERANS, AND ALL YOUR OTHER PROJECTS. WE MISS YOUR SHOW, THE REPLACEMENT IS NOT WORTH TURNING ON - WE HOPE YOU WIN A HUGE LAW SUIT AND ARE BACK ON THE AIR SOON.

OUR BEST WISHES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

sheila byrnes

May 2, 2007 10:08 PM

IMAN ARE YOU ALRIGHT??? ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU WENT AWAY AND MILLIONS WANT YOU BACK....MSNBC IS NOTHING WITHOUT YOU....HOPE YOU WIN IN COURT, HOPE YOU ARE BACK ON THE AIR SOMEWHERE SOON...WE NEED YOU!!!!

Jim Bunn

May 3, 2007 6:11 AM

Things that make you go hmmmm - Note that one of the advertisers that put pressure on NBC to fire Imus was Proctor and Gamble. The company that manufactures TIDE. Interesting that P&G used the situation to pressure NBC the same week that Imus' wife's new environmentally safe laundry detergent is launched. Also note that Imus had bashed Tide when talking about his wife's new product.

Don Imus was a great American who occasionally delved into crude and sophmoric humor. That's why SOME listened. He also "called it like he saw it" and that's why most of us listened and watched/

Tide is no longer in our laundry room and the next vehicle I buy will be a Ford after 25 years of GM products. Finally when it came time to buy office supplys I avoided Staples, after 10 years and a frequent buyer account and went to Office Max

Robert Miller, Maryland

May 3, 2007 11:03 AM

I too miss the I-Man's morning show and I agree he should be judged on his body of work, not on one comment. In the meantime, the legal system can judge the merits of his case by examining the contract language under which he worked, and hopefully, the court will stick it to CBS and MSNBC. We are also boycotting all of the corporate sponsors who ran away from the Al Sharptons of the world. I will never buy any of their products again or watch anything on MSNBC or CBS. Go after the suits I-Man. We are with you. - Semper Fi

MAR

May 3, 2007 5:24 PM

Since the last airing of "Imus IS the morning", I've not turn the TELE at AM time. I've stopped purchasing at Staples plus PG products, etc. What both admirers and critics can agree on is that for better or worse, Imus is the ultimate endangered species in an ever-homogenized culture. It took a year of seeing Imus to 'Get it'. Now, I'm an I-Man addict(as many millions out there) and want Imus back on the air waves. We need you, Mr. Imus. We are waiting for you.

Kenny-Bouy-Naples

May 3, 2007 8:53 PM

The "I-man" will be back...with the money..he was done wrong & probably the contract will nail CBS...

JKL

May 4, 2007 1:37 AM

Bottom Line , You JUST DON'T Fire an American Radio/TV ICON like Don Imus. So what if he played the occasional Devil's Advocate, He always made me feel like I was listening/watching the REAL DEAL. But some just can't handle the fact that we DO NOT live in an Idealistic world. Get real MSNBC Don Imus did nothing wrong. Now you are gonna be the ones to be forced to face THE REAL DEAL. GO GO GETTEM I-MAN.

glenn brandon

May 4, 2007 2:58 PM

I have realized that CBS nor MSNBC cares about it's listeners,this is not even close,pay Imus say your sorry and mabe HE WILL TAKE JUST A LITTLE MONEY AND COME BACK,THIS WILL BE THE TEST AS TO JUST HOW MUCH YOU CARE ABOUT SHAREHOLDER VALUE!YOR GUYS HAVE JUST BEEN REARANGING THE DECK CHAIRS ON THE TITANIC.IF YOU DONT END THIS YOU WILL BE ALL LOOKING FOR JOBS.PAY HIM,SAY YOU ARE SORRY AND MEAN IT,AND HIRE HIM BACK!!!!!!MY LAST WORDS GLENN E BRANDON BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA

hdhouse

May 4, 2007 3:37 PM

Imus doesn't loose often and he has both a backbone and thick skin. But he is fair and an honest man and deserves some respect. Garbus, rarely looses to anyone about anything and between the two, my prediction is that CBS will bleed green blood by the time this is over and, after they have bled nearly to death, these two will be jumping on them to get more.

Good for them.

melwyjak

May 7, 2007 12:15 PM

We hope Don Imus wins his lawsuit but that won't solve our problem which is no Imus in the Morning! His show was the best on and our mornings will never be the same if he doesn't come back on the air where he belongs.

glenn brandon

May 7, 2007 9:50 PM

Has anyone considered what cause of action we have as the Imus fans that had the morning show taken away from us? As a rule ths size of the audience is the controling force about a show and its success. I feel we have been damaged as a class. I have read many posts which discussed the loss of our morning enjoyment and personal entertainment. This loss has caused many of us anger,sadness,and our routines to be altered. A highlite of our day was taken away by hateful, selfish, mean people which could care less about our feelings as a group. I feel damaged!!!

Teresa

May 10, 2007 2:03 PM

I'm with everyone else. I miss the Imus show so much. I watched it everyday and enjoyed it thoroughly (except for Bo and the politicians). I knew when he started bringing Sid back in there was going to be trouble, but I had no idea it would come to this. As the aunt of a soldier killed in Iraq, Imus' contributions on their behalf means a lot to me and the contributions were huge. I even sent my $20.00 to the facility in Texas. And I really learned things from the interviews he did that you can't find out on the news or newspapers. It's always the in between the lines stuff. Thanks Imus, Charles, Bernie & Lou.

Steve S.

May 10, 2007 7:50 PM

I have listened to Imus' program for years, and I swear I can't remember the last time I heard him say something funny. Even the comment that got him fired had to be fed to him. Time to go.

Toni

May 12, 2007 12:27 AM

I've listened to Don Imus since 1972. I remember going to see him at a grand opening of a Shoe Town store in NJ. My mornings will never be the same without him. He's a good, decent man. I think it's safe to say that we have seen a troubled, wild man evolving into a decent human being before our very eyes (or ears). I'd rather have as a friend and spokesman than the likes of Shapton and Jackson. Imus puts his money where his mouth is. He sees something he thinks is unfair or unjust and he tries his best, at his personal cost, to fix it. BRING THE IMAN BACK!

Jake

May 14, 2007 3:41 PM

It's been a long, long month without our man, Don Imus! We're waiting patiently here for his return

SAM HAYWOOD

May 14, 2007 10:13 PM

What has been done is just a shame.The last several weeks I have not had one person say that Imus should have been fired.CBS has set race relations back 20 years in my mind.The pressure to re-hire Imus must be at a very stressful level for managment.Admit you mistake save millions and your job,stick to whats been done get black balled in the business for life and spend the rest of your life in court.

The critical comments that I have read about Don Imus seem to be written by people that did not watch or listen to his show. I too miss the witty and intelligent watch dog. I do believe that actions speak louder than words and that Don Imus is not a racist. In my eyes Mr. and Mrs. Imus deserve super hero status for the selfless changes they
have made in this world. He did not deserve to be fired. The crime did not fit the punishment. The big loss is to the people that benefited from his help. We need more watch dogs with heart and Imus was the best.

It is a shame that anti-Semitic comments made by self serving, self appointed Africa American leaders do not evoke the same media coverage or for that matter apologies.

I hope that CBS and MSNBC reconsider their actions.

Audrey

May 15, 2007 12:28 AM

Imus,

I would like to see you back on Catv... You apologized and was very genuine and you said you could make a difference and I think they were wrong in taking you off the airwaves. I would like for you to be on Fox, because I have always been partial to them except when it came to seeing you on MSNBC. Take Care, and come back soon..... A FAN OF YOURS....

glenn e brandon jr

May 16, 2007 4:06 PM

If I HAD TO BET I would put money on a network maybe CBS paying Don Imus A LOT OF CASH now to come back on the air for a reason that no one has considered or even thought of.MAY 17 2007 glenn E Brandon jr

Lenard Cohen

May 18, 2007 4:58 PM

We all miss Imus. his wit, education etc. By reviewing his dismissal I learned a lot about allegiances, true supporters etc.When they received things from Imus he was great. When times turned his "friends " left him. Personally I stopped listening to Gregory, Russett and all the yes men on NBC and MSNBC. Most likely some of the truths will come out in the future why Rev. Sharpton attacked Imus. Was it to help his support for Mr. Clinton that Imus rejected. Or was the effect of Mrs. Imus on her "green products" and how it effected the future sales of Tide.

For me no more Staples and no more MSNBC. Since I am from Boston I will continue my listening to Jay Sevorin, Mike Barnicle and Bernard McGurk who just was hired by a local Boston Radio station.

Marcia

May 21, 2007 11:06 PM

Because I like the truth about things that are happening in our world I liked the Imus program.I check every morning to see if people in charge of programing have realized their mistake,and then flip back to fox news.
I will no longer watch msnbc or contribute to the coffers of their sponsors.

glenn e brandon jr

May 24, 2007 2:20 PM

DON IMUS WILL BE BACK SOON AND THIS WHOLE THING WILL BE JUST A THING OF THE PAST IMUS WILL BE $120,000,000.00 RICHER CBS WILL FIRE ALL OF ITS UPPER MANAGMENT AS A SACRIFICIAL LAMB.THE HANDWRITING IS ON THE WAS.I have been upset over how the Imus situation has been handled I feel most of us in mainstream America regardless of race or political background can find common ground and settle our disputes. I by no means am a racist, nor do I support racism on either side. Yes, I will admit I was on a bit of a rant on this story because I feel strongly about this Additionally, I am confident that of all people Don Imus is not a racist. It might be better if alot of us would agree to disagree and focus our efforts on getting words like ho, bitch and other language away from our children's ears. Rap music and bad language is not a racial issue. I don't remember hearing any of this language in Sam Cooke or Ray Charles or even hard core blues men like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson or Sonhouse. This language problem exists because someone moved the bar. We need to put it back. Thank you . Glenn Brandon

Corey

June 10, 2007 1:46 AM

Wow, I read over these comments, and not one has defended those young women from the Rutger's team. Amazing. A wealthy white guy (who hardly lacks funds if he's hiring a "legendary" lawyer) gets more love than women who should deserve our respect for what they have achieved. I guess racism isn't dead quite yet. Quick question, though: How many of you would allow any man to call your daughter, sister, and mother a "ho"?

TimBo of Oklahoma

June 10, 2007 5:17 PM

Good luck and hurry up and find a venue.

fizzz

June 12, 2007 12:50 AM

after they cut the i man i stoped watching msnbc so i hope u all will stop watching it to

Dave Vincent

June 16, 2007 9:43 AM

Bring Don Imus back to radio and television. He has a terrific product. Al Sharpton cares nothing of the young ladies on the Rutgers basket ball team.Return Mr. Imus ,Bernie, McChord and all to the airwaves. Dave Vincent

Lillian

June 17, 2007 10:21 PM

I would like to see Imus return/returned to the airwaves. It was always refreshing to hear him say it the way he saw it and to ask the right questions of many politicians. Imus was instrumentsl in facility in San Antonio,spoke about Walter Reed provides the ranch for children with cancer,a forum for autistic children and the environment.Deidre is a wonderful spokesperson as well. I will not tune into CBS and MSNBC as they went overboard.Hope Imus and crew will be back.

Holly

June 22, 2007 6:04 PM

Imus is one of the most upstanding, decent and honest Americans there is.

He made a mistake and he apologized. He made the mistake of calling some fine young women the same thing he calls his own wife. "Ho." Dierdre was known to all of us in the Imus world as the "Green Ho". For God's sake will we never get to the end of hurt feelings and stupid political correctness?

The young women forgave him. Why can't the "so called" Reverends? Isn't a top tenet of the Christian faith to forgive? He should be at the top of the heap to be forgiven as he has done God's work for many years.

I am disgusted at the Gregorys and Barnacles and Russerts who threw Imus overboard and stomped on his fingers as he was about to fall. Imus made them household names. I'll never watch MSNBC again. CBS is cowardly and should go down hard.

mary

June 27, 2007 9:23 PM

I loved imus in the morning,it was my reason to get up in the morning.please bring him back!!!! I also watched-tucker,mathews and keith.i will never watch msnbc or cbs again.i will never buy p&g,gm,verzion,or go to staples again.

Nancy

July 16, 2007 12:37 AM

Imus where are you. I do not watch MSNBC at all anymore and it use to be on it half the day

RGarland

July 17, 2007 9:15 PM

Before Imus was fired, we watched NBC Nightly News, including Meet the Press. We also were regular watchers of MSNBC. Because of David Gregory's and Tim Russert's treatment of Imus, we change our news channel to ABC or Fox. CBS isn't even an option! Of all the news celebrities on television, Imus was the most honest. There was never any doubt as to where he stood on the issues. I miss his perspective and hope one day he will be back in the mornings.

Jim hahn

August 11, 2007 5:54 AM

I wait for the return of Imus and his cast. In the meantime I thank him for all he has done for chairty and his attempts to eliminate PC as a feature of American life. Information, humor and a sense of justice are his hallmarks. The basketball comments were, in fact, over the line. I do respect how he dealt w/his wrongdoing. Moreover, those NJ women proved to be a class act and are role models: not Sharptonesque!