Radar Magazine's Re-Relaunch

Posted by: Jon Fine on June 29, 2006

In my previous job at Advertising Age, I wrote four variations on the theme of “Radar Magazine Closing In On New Investors” within one twenty-two month stretch. The nadir of this subgenre has to be the one with the parody-ready headline of “French Investors May Back Radar Magazine.”

Um—they didn’t. New York Daily News owner Mort Zuckerman did, at least until the chapter that cast him as a white knight ended in tears late last year.

Today, the Times reports that Yusef Jackson, possibly in league with supermarket magnate/mogul wanna-be Ron Burkle, will make a multimillion dollar investment in Radar; Web site up in August, six to ten issues of the magazine to come out in 2007.

Four thoughts:

1. That the Times piece quotes Radar founder and Editor Maer Roshan saying “I’m not insane” is the Times’ representation of New York media circles raising a collective eyebrow at this ongoing saga.

2. Congrats, Maer. Seriously. But …

3. … I think there are some concerned Radar subscribers who want to have a word with you. (Scroll Down.)

4. Times Headline: Radar Rises From The Ashes. Riposte From Former Radar Writer: “Ashes Say ‘Good Riddance.’”

chino rodriquez

June 30, 2006 5:15 AM

I subscribed to Radar Magazine as soon as it hit the stands. I find it appalling that I was not notified that the magazine was folding and also the status of my fully paid subscription fee of $15 for which I received ONE issue. I have tried the various phone #s in which to contact anyone and there is never an answer. POOR business practice and customer relations.

John Von Dyke

June 30, 2006 6:49 PM

Same thing happened to me. No notice of any kind. And I never received a single copy of the magazine. Radar... all I can say is it is not going to be on my radar screen again.

C Larson

September 8, 2006 4:15 PM

Radar promised "an equivalent" magazine or a refund - I received neither...and no communication whatsoever with their subscribers.

Trixie.in.Dixie

December 13, 2006 3:24 PM

I too paid for a subscription and got only one issue. At this point I seriously doubt if they will ever resurrect the print version. I am assuming that they are putting all of our collective subscription dollars into the website, which is not a bad website, but I didn't pay $15 to look at a website. I want my magazines, or my money back.

Jennifer Dott

January 7, 2007 3:46 AM

I also paid in full for a subscription. I got the promised messenger bag but never recieved one issue. I was never told that the magazine was folding until I emailed the company asking where my magazines were. I was promised either a refund or a subscription ot another magazine. Like everyone else, I am still waiting..

Veronica, Radar VP Marketing

January 30, 2007 2:35 PM

Dear Loyal Radar Subscribers,
We thank you deeply for your continued loyalty to Radar, and offer the deepest apologies for leaving you in the dark. However, I know you will be thrilled when you receive the launch issue in the next couple weeks. It is absolutely fantastic! And of course these issues will serve to honor your subscription.

Tom in RI

February 10, 2007 4:14 PM

So, Veronica...does this mean that the subscriptions I bought for myself and a friend are now reactivated, and I'll start getting the magazine again?

Heather Walls

April 30, 2009 1:32 PM

So they folded again, and I recieved two of my 12 issues that ive paid for in full. Again, no contact info. I want the issues or my $ back. Duh.