Chinese prefer to watch olympics on foreign-branded TVS

Posted by: Frederik Balfour on June 28, 2008

Nationalistic pride may be reaching unprecedented levels in China as the Beijing Olympic games approach, but their patriotic fervor doesn’t seem to extend as far as the television showroom. According to website The China Perspective, Gome, the country’s largest appliance retailer, is anticipating its customers clearly favor Japanese and Korean television sets over Chinese made ones.

In a $320 million order from suppliers placed by GOME in anticipation of strong sales in the final five weeks before the games begin, 65% of the business went to Sony, Samsung, Sharp and LG, and the remaining 35% to local brands.

Reader Comments

Steven

June 29, 2008 2:29 AM

Nice. It proves that Chinese are patriotic not Nationalistic as you said. Chinese are reasonable, right?

Andy

July 1, 2008 1:29 AM

Chinese are as pragmatic as the Americans who preferred Japanese car over Ford or GM.

Goulin

July 1, 2008 3:28 AM

This author has different understanding for patriotism. To be patriotic doesn't mean you only buy goods mad by your own country. This kind of behavior is protectionism. The way I love my county is not just to buy stuff made in China. When I go shopping, the decisions are always made based on the ration of quality and price. I always buy the stuff with the best quality and competitive price. When facing the decision to make a choice between two goods, one is from China and the other is from US, I would consider both price and quality. If these two criteria are the same, certainly I would go the Made in China. But now it's a free trade world, consumer always like the goods with high quality and affordable price. As of TV sets mentioned in this comments, there are some foreign brands with very good quality such as Sony and Samsung. If the high class family could buy these TV, I wouldn't complain them. This is a free market again. People make their choices based on quality and price instead of where they are manufactured. Also, these foreign brand TV is also made in China. These TV are also exported to many other countries. Since the counsumers in other countries could accept them, why not us? I understand why this commentor complains this. Everyone wish that their people could only buy their stuff. But this kind of idealogy is not realistic anymore since the trade around the world is free. There are many other ways to show your patriotism such as caring for what is happening in your hometown, alwasy showing positive opinion on your own country etc. I am patriotic and I have many other ways to deminstrate that I love my country. Working hard to wint other people's respect is another way to show your dignity. I think there is still a long way to go for CHinese bradn to comperte with these multinational head to head. But we are making big progress.

chenleilili

July 1, 2008 5:15 AM

It is separate issue.Almost all of these foreigh brands are made in China,,they pay the tax,hire Chinese workers,contribute to the society,although I prefer Chinese brand,Chinese people is open,and the market in China is international,so Chinese consumers have more selections.

Steven

July 1, 2008 9:22 AM

This really reflects a problem in China. Chinese local manufacturers did not prepare well for the LCD, Plasma era. The core tech was in Samsung, Philips, and very few other companies' hands. The core components from these companies take a huge share of the cost for TV.

I hope Chinese companies should remember the lesson and put more money in research and development. I heard Hisense has some good progress.

Andy

July 1, 2008 11:55 AM

I have to say, Frederik Balfour is sort of bored cuz he has posted this kind of boring article...

Andy

July 3, 2008 2:26 AM

Btw, those tv are made in China, just FYI, Mr. Balfour

author

July 3, 2008 3:19 AM

I have changed the headline from foreign-made to foreign-branded after one alert reader pointed out that these foreign brands are actually made in China.

Henry

July 3, 2008 10:10 PM

I subscribe to The China Perspective. It's a truly reputable source for the most current news on China!

Lucas

July 7, 2008 7:36 PM

Um... Alot of the Japanese and Korean brand TV's are actually made in China!

Widyanto

October 9, 2009 12:41 AM

Everything´s made in China these days :-p no matter what the brands are and there´s nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, it´s a free trade world

Post a comment

 

About

Bloomberg Businessweek’s team of Asia reporters brings you the latest insights on business, politics, technology and culture from some of the world’s biggest and fastest-growing economies.

BW Mall - Sponsored Links

Buy a link now!