Cochlear impants - from India?

Posted by: Bruce Einhorn on March 10, 2006

BTEl_photo original.jpg

Among companies producing technology to help people with profound hearing loss hear, Sydney-based Cochlear Ltd. has an almost Microsoft-like dominance. Last year I wrote a BW story about the Australian company, which is far and away the No. 1 producer of cochlear implants. And its 70% market share is now going to get even bigger, thanks to the news that its main rival, Advanced Bionics (owned by Boston Scientific) has had to issue yet another recall. This isn’t just a one-time problem for the American company, and not surprisingly Cochlear’s stock, which has been one of the hottest Aussie stocks around, soared today in Sydney following the news.

With Advanced Bionics stumbling and Austrian rival Med-El not much of a threat, Cochlear CEO Chris Roberts is looking ahead to new techologies. Can any company stop Cochlear from dominating what is likely to be a lucrative market, as Baby Boomers age and the number of people suffering from hearing loss increases? One scenario that analysts point to is that scientists in a low-cost Asian country will figure out how to make cochlear implants and produce them cheaply. (An implant from Cochlear today easily costs tens of thousands of dollars.)

One possibility is India. When I was writing my story on Cochlear last year, my colleague in Bombay, Manjeet Kripalani, contacted the Indian Society of Otology to get a progress report. Dr. Ravi Ramalingam, treasurer of the group, got back in touch, but only after my deadline had passed and the article was in print. According to Dr. Ramalingam’s email, Indian President APJ Abdul Khalam “has always been very interested in the field of deafness and cochlear implants.” With the President urging them along, a team of Indian researchers “is currently well in the process of developing the Indian Cochlear Implant” and “the Indian Society of Otology is also keenly working…to pursue this matter with the utmost importance.” According to Dr. Ramalingam, they are hoping to launch this home-grown implant next year. Low-cost implants could transform the lives of millions of deaf children and adults in the developing world. But making cochlear implants is incredibly difficult, as the latest setback at Advanced Bionics shows. For now, Cochlear Ltd. rules.

mativu musau

May 18, 2007 5:40 AM

hi
this is a good informative site
please can you send me some information on cis and more so the price.
i lost my hearing arnd 2 yrs ago following meningitis and celebral malaria.
hop to hear fro you soon

Sandeep Kr. Mishra

June 2, 2007 2:24 AM

I lost my hearing from Meningitis at 1 years of age. After attending a workshop given by the Cohlear Implant Clinic in AIIMS (New Delhi), I realized the Cochlear Implant was for me and immediatly made an appointment. It was hard to choose between the 3 different Implant company, but Angela did a wonderful job of explaining the Nucleus 24 and I immediatly decided that was the one for me because of the different mapping strategies. Having to get surgery was the scary part of getting a Cochlear Implant. My life has been so much easier since I have learned to talk on the phone. Having conversations with my family and friends on the phone keeps me in close contact with those I care about. It is easier hearing in noisy places with the Cochlear Implant as my hearing aids amplified everything and I had to rely on lipreading in those situations---not anymore thanks to the Cochlear Implant.

parth jindal

September 4, 2007 5:46 AM

hi i am 18 months old boy, i have severe profond loss in both ears by brith, my coclier has done 8 month ago. this is a good instrument and now i am able to listen everything thanks to coclier.

Sunit

September 18, 2007 4:37 AM

I am looking for a cochlear implant for my sister, please give me your company's contact detail in india.

Ali Anwar

October 3, 2007 12:44 AM

03 October, 2007 Ali Anwar
Asst. Teacher
Viqarunnisa Noon School
1/A Baily Road, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Telephone:088-02-9666359
Cell: 01199412504/01913258852
The Director

Dear Sir,
I am a school teacher, working in Viqarunnisa Noon School, Dhaka, Bangladesh. I am trying my level best to build up my career in this noble profession to serve the country. But recently a personal problem is hindering to render my best for this profession. We are blessed with a son but unfortunately he has been suffering from Profound Hearing Loss due to which he can not talk a single word till now. It has been confirmed by the doctors of SAHIC when he was taken for a thorough investigation on hearing and speech development.

Our only son Kamrul Hasan Abir was born on 23 December 2003. Since he was 06 months old we notice that he does not response to any sound. He has been treated by almost all the reputed ENT specialists (SAHIC, Mohakhali; DMCH, Dhaka; High Care, Dhanmondi; Apollo Hospital, Dhaka) of Bangladesh.

Regarding his treatment, the facilities are not available in our country and it requires long time persistent treatment in the clinic. I may humbly inform you that roughly about 2 to 3 months will be required only for assessment to start the actual treatment and after the “Cochlear Implant’’ it will require regular follow up at least another year. The expenditure is also very high (roughly about 20 lacs per Cochlear implant). Whereas Abir, 04 years old now needs this treatment immediately as doctors say it is better to undergo such operation as early as possible.

Sir, I can not really express how difficult it is for any parents family whose child is hearing impaired and can not talk. At this moment, unless he undergo as advance treatment abroad, he will not be able to talk, the shock of which is consistently heart rending my emotions as a father. As my heart bleeds, finding no alternative, may I humbly submit to you for a help so that I can arrange treatment for my beloved son and see his normal life in future. I, along with my family will remain ever grateful to you for your kind consideration.

Sincerely Yours

Ali Anwar
SB A/C – 2591
Sonali Bank
Agrani School Branch, Dhaka
Bangladesh

Rishi Bhatt

January 5, 2008 2:20 AM

Hi, This is a journalist from a small town of M.P. in India, my towns name is Umaria. There is a child aged about 13 years who has lost his hearing capacity at the age of one and a half year, because of severe malaria.

I want to know if a Cochlear implant is possible for him. If it is possible whether it is possible in India. if you people can provide me this usefull information the life of the child may be made usefull. Plz suggest me whom to contact on this regard. Thanks

imran arif

March 9, 2008 8:23 AM

Hi this is Imran from Ranchi Jharkhand. My dad has lost his hearing ability 20 years ago. I want to know if a Cochlear implant is possible for him. If it is possible whether it is possible in India. If anyone can provide me this useful information the life of my dad can be as earlier...

Dr amjad ali khan

April 8, 2008 4:24 AM

Dear,

- I am Dr. Amjad Ali Khan

- I am a fellow as well as a member of the college of Physician and Surgeons Pakistan in the field of ENT(otolaryngology)

- Currently I am working as a Consultant in Distract Headquarter Hospital, Abbottabad-Pakistan

- In the private arena, I am the Executive Director of Maida Hospital,The Mall Abbottabad

- I want to participate in the workshop of Cochlear implant. So please guide me if there is any one week or 3-4 days workshop I would like to participate in it.

Dr.Amjad Ali Khan

Executive Director

Maida Hospital

Abbottabad, Pakistan

+92-333-5056582

badri jat

May 31, 2008 5:22 AM

hi
this is a good informative site
please can you send me some information on cis and more so the price.
My son lost hearing at brith time, that time age 7 years.

Dr. Ganthimathi

September 6, 2008 12:55 AM

Dear Dr. Amjad Ali Khan,

kindly visit the following website.

Prof. K. K. Ramalingam and Dr. Ravi Ramalingam are well renowned and successful in various ENT procedures. They have their ENT hospital at Chennai, India. they offer many short courses in ENT.

Regards
Dr. Ganthimathi

Charanbeer Singh

November 6, 2008 5:05 AM

Hi, This is Charanbeer From Haridwar, India, my 3 year old gilrs is deaf by birth, please let me know about cochlear implant in india and what is the cost of this.

Thanks n Regards,
Charanbeer Singh

SHESHARAM KHAMARI

December 26, 2008 1:14 AM

HI This is Shesharam from a lower middile class family from orissa,My nephew Ayushman 2.5 year old is declared by doctors as profound hearig loss and he need a coclear implant.So pls tell the total cost of this operation.

omkar deshpande

December 29, 2008 6:55 AM

I hope through this site many needy people and parents like me will be benefited much.

siromani karri

February 12, 2009 6:04 PM

Hi, This is siromani From visakhapatnam, India, my sisters 23 lyear old girs is deaf by birth, please let me know about cochlear implant in india around Andra pradesh and what is the cost of this.

Anthony Nderitu

February 18, 2009 9:10 AM

I am 34 years and have been deaf since i was 10. I have been reading this blog that have many good questions but no answers. I especially want to know how much a cochlear implant costs in India.

vimal

March 20, 2009 10:22 AM

I want to know the lowest cost cochlear implant operation available in india

Anand Satavalekar

April 8, 2009 6:37 AM

Cochlear implants costs about Rs 5 lacs in India. It can be done is almost all the major cities in India.

Saqib Sandhu

April 9, 2009 1:11 AM

Hi: I am Saqib from Islamabad Pakistan,
please let me know about cochlear implant in india and what is the cost of this.and also send me contacts no of related persons.

shailesh

April 26, 2009 11:36 AM

I want to know lowest and sucesessful operation in india regarding cochlear implant.

Amandeep Chopra

May 3, 2009 9:30 AM

Respected Sir,

Does My Son needs cochlear implant . He is 2 years old and suffring from profound deffness .I can send you the reports if require Can you gudie me. If my son needs cochlear implant what is the cost of Cochlear implant. Please Give me some details.
Amandeep Chopra

Shesharam Khamari

May 13, 2009 3:25 AM

my nephew 3 year is dignosied as of profound hearing loss and the doctor recommadated cochlear implant for him .i wanted to know how much its cost and the extent of benifit he would get from this implant.

prashant alexander

August 6, 2009 3:34 AM

i would like to know about the cost of cochlear implant in india and how much is it beneficial. as i have profound hearing loss by birth and at present i am 19 years.i am from vapi

Amalia Rodrigues Timana

September 1, 2009 12:03 PM

Hi, my son 3years old, is dignosied as of profound hearing loss and the doctor recomadated cochlear implant for him. I wanted to know how much its cost and the extend of benifit he would get from this implant. Thank you... Amalia Timana from Mozambique

vinit bansal

September 25, 2009 12:49 PM

hi i am vinit my brother had a problem in hearing since ten year he is 21yr old now he faced sudden complete hearing loss i want to know that cochlear implant will work on him he had sensori nerve problem

Manohara Babu

October 23, 2009 10:47 AM

Hi. This is Manohar Babu from a lower middile class family from Karnataka,My son Shreyas 1.5 year old is declared by doctors as Severe to profound hearing loss and he need a coclear implant.So pls give us the types of implants. Best/successive implant & total cost of this operation.

muhmmad ashraf

January 2, 2010 7:24 AM

hello dear i am from pakistan my child when 7 year his hear lose for mengits .the doctor say cochlear implant please tell me which company implant is best and what is cost in india thank you

Apollo Hopsitals, Hyderabad

January 17, 2010 7:53 AM

Dear Friends,

In Apollo hospitals, Hyderabad, the total cochlear implant surgery package costs from 6.48 lakhs to 11.3 lakhs ($15000 to $30000) based on the device model you choose..

We assure the best price..

We assure that we can provide the world class medical services

We did more than 330 cochlear implant surgeries till date and We also hold a world record for highest number of cochlear implant surgeries in a single day….

We also fund upto 1lakh for boys and 1.5 lakhs for girls, who are below 14 years through our charitable trust named as Society to aid the hearing impaired (SAHI) for the poor people..

details you can find from http://www.sahiearcare.org

For more details contact us at

Apollo Cochlear implant Clinic,
ENT & Audiology department,
Apollo Health city,
Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad,
Andhrapradesh, India – 500033

Ph: 040-2360 7777 ext 3737, 6342
+91-9966335816

E-Mail: apollociclinic@gmail.com / apolloaudiologist@gmail.com

Apollo Hopsitals, Hyderabad

January 17, 2010 7:59 AM

Hi all,

Cochlear Implant is very useful if we can do the surgery and start the rehabilitation from 1 year 3 years and from 4 years to 7 years, it is suitable but they may not get benefits like below 3 years kids...

So, it is always recommended to get it done the surgery as early as possible. the critical age period, brain development plays a major role...

With Regards,
Srikanth Innamuri,
Audiologist & Cochlear implant Specialist, Apollo Hospitals, Jubilee hills, Hyderabad, AP, India - 500033

Ph: +91-9966335816

E:Mail: apollociclinic@gmail.com / apolloaudiologist@gmail.com

Priyanka Arora

April 8, 2010 10:20 AM

Please contact Dr J M Hans . He is the Cochlear implant Surgeon.

M.ADhilakshmi

August 10, 2010 8:13 AM

dear sir

Pls provide the side effects and disadvantages of Cochlear implant surgeon .pls provide the full details about this opreation

Prashanth N

September 7, 2010 1:08 AM

Hi
I had my son implanted at 20mnths and we had the operation done through Dr J M Hans. He is a specilast who has done over 600+ cases, and is most experienced in the country. Above all Excellent human being.