The 5 Percent Solution to Paying for College

Posted by: Dan Beucke on January 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM

wealth_blog_uc_600.jpg

There’s an interesting post and comment stream over at Lou Lavelle’s B-schools blog, about an alternative plan for funding a college education in California. The Fix UC proposal would let University of California students pay nothing to attend if they commit to paying a flat 5 percent of their annual salary for 20 years after graduation. There would be adjustments — you’d pay a smaller percentage if you worked in the public sector — but the more marketable your degree, the more you’d pay for it. And you only pay if you’re actually working. (As one commenter notes, this is similar to a system Australia has been using for years.)

On first glance, this looks like a deal for students. Student fees at UC San Diego for a California resident are $13,234 this year. Total for four years: $52,936. Twenty years of Fix UC payments at 5 percent of salary amount to one year’s average salary. A recent survey of Georgetown University graduates puts the average salary for a 22-to-26 year old engineering student at $55,000; for an arts major, it’s $30,000. The yearly payment gets bumped up, temporarily, if you use on-campus housing. Still, you’re spreading your payments over 20 years, and not paying additional interest as you would with a student loan.

For the universities, the outcome is less clear. The proposal refers to a “compounding” effect. But money that is now paid upfront would instead be paid over many years to come. To borrow that $52,936 and repay it over 20 years would cost $98,814, at the rate of just 3.17 percent that California paid on bonds sold last year. Maybe if graduates’ salaries rise with inflation, they come closer to paying that back. Except that college costs have been rising faster than inflation. It seems hard to make those numbers work.

Of course, you know some Wall Street number cruncher is already working on the tradeable financial product that monetizes the uncertain graduate income stream — and the varying “tranches” of finance, science, and arts majors.

(Photographer: Chip Chipman/Bloomberg)

Kayla Occhuizzo

February 17, 2012 10:04 PM

my neighbor's mom makes $74/hr on the laptop. She has been without work for 7 months but last month her pay was $8852 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site... http://is.gd/tFCdBr

Jacob Caracci

February 20, 2012 7:39 AM

Your argument is valid, and it's good how you have demonstrated both sides of the issue. It might change the style this industry operates, but it is worth bearing in mind the possibility of even more change.

Ruth Heinbuch

February 27, 2012 2:09 PM

I really do think that this was a great and fun article in my opinion. I really do think that this was very cool. Thanks - Infocus Insurance

Gregoriya Black

March 5, 2012 4:20 AM

A agree with Jacob Caracci that your own debate applies, and it is great the way you possess shown each side from the problem. It could alter the design this particular business works, but it's really worth considering the potential of much more alter. Kiev apartments

Cedrick Seitzinger

March 5, 2012 10:24 AM

This really answered my problem, thank you!

Lilly Schoenwolf

March 6, 2012 2:03 PM

I really appreciate this information so much. This has really been so interesting and fun to read. I cant wait to read more. office space soho

Cynthia Hecks

March 7, 2012 2:29 PM

Very educational article. College is very expensive these days just like everything else. This was really awesome and fun to read. Promo Girls

Eva McDonald

March 9, 2012 2:08 PM

Yes college is really very expensive to be honest. I hope that something can be done about this. People are really suffering. Nissan Juke

Leigh Roediger

March 12, 2012 2:16 PM

I really do appreciate all of this great information so much. I really do think that this was awesome. Debt Advice

Trudi Stauff

March 13, 2012 1:35 PM

Really great and fun article. I really do appreciate this information so much. This was awesome to read. Thanks - Raid Repair

Staci Tabeling

March 13, 2012 9:12 PM

Very interesting article. This was really hard to believe that so many kids are paying this much for a education. Reducing Energy Consumption

Sara Kaneo

March 16, 2012 2:13 PM

I have enjoyed this awesome and fun article so much. This was really very special for me to read. AA Breakdown

unsaraTalia

March 22, 2012 4:59 AM

Привет хочу поделиться ссылочкой на сайт на котором можно найти много интересно в сфере новинок компьютерных и мобильных технологий.
Добро пожаловать, свежие новости технологий ежедневно для Вас Мобильные новости

rousydrariutt

March 23, 2012 4:43 AM

Хай всем заходите на наш сайт, его так легко запомнить, на нем Вы найдете громадную коллекцию фильмов, всех жанров и направлений фильмы . Ежечасные обновления, старые, документальные, отечественные и зарубежные фильмы всех жанров. Рай для киноманов. Только лучшее, только для Вас!!!

allcottalmond

March 26, 2012 3:54 AM

I really do appreciate this information so much. I have enjoyed this and I have learned so much from this site.
write my essay

ipad3

March 26, 2012 6:39 PM

By a long shot, one of the best article l have come across on this valuable subject. I quite go along with with your assumptions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates.

Mary Bauder

April 2, 2012 3:16 PM

This was a great and helpful post. I really think that this was so much fun and was really helpful for me to read. tartan fabric

"The Wealth Debate" is a running discussion of wealth, poverty, the economy and income inequality in the U.S. and the world. It was started shortly after the Occupy Wall Street movement sparked a global protest about the fallout from the financial crisis and money in politics. You can reach the editors, Dan Beucke and Mark Gimein, by email, or follow BloombergNow on Twitter to keep up with posts.

Analyses or commentary in this blog are the views of the author and or commentators, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Bloomberg News.