Posted by: Michelle Conlin on August 26, 2009

The press release on a new report about cell phone safety:

“Cellphones Cause Brain Tumors, Says New Report by International EMF Collaborative

August 25, 2009. A new report, “Cellphones and Brain Tumors: 15 Reasons for Concern, Science, Spin and the Truth Behind Interphone,” was released today by a collaborative of international EMF activists. Groups affiliated with the report include Powerwatch and the Radiation Research Trust in the U.K., and in the
U.S., EMR Policy Institute, ElectromagneticHealth.org and The Peoples Initiative Foundation. Download the report. (http://www.radiationresearch.org/pdfs/15reasons.asp )

The exposé discusses research on cellphones and brain tumors and concludes:

· There is a risk of brain tumors from cellphone use;

· Telecom funded studies underestimate the risk of brain tumors, and;

· Children have larger risks than adults for brain tumors.

This report, sent to government leaders and media today, details eleven design flaws of the 13-country, Telecom-funded Interphone study. The Interphone study, begun in 1999, was intended to determine the risks of brain tumors, but its full publication has been held up for years. Components of this study published to date reveal what the authors call a ‘systemic-skew’, greatly underestimating brain tumor risk.

The design flaws include categorizing subjects who used portable phones (which emit the same microwave radiation as cellphones,) as ‘unexposed’; exclusion of many types of brain tumors; exclusion of people who had died, or were too ill to be interviewed, as a consequence of their brain tumor; and exclusion of children and young adults, who are more vulnerable.

Lloyd Morgan, lead author and member of the Bioelectromagnetics Society says, “Exposure to cellphone radiation is the largest human health experiment ever undertaken, without informed consent, and has some 4 billion participants enrolled. Science has shown increased risk of brain tumors from use of cellphones, as well as increased risk of eye cancer, salivary gland tumors, testicular cancer, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and leukemia. The public must be informed.”

International scientists endorsing “Cellphones and Brain Tumors: 15 Reasons for Concern” include Ronald B. Herberman, MD, Director Emeritus, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute; David Carpenter, MD, Director, Institute for Health and the Environment, University at Albany; Martin Blank, PhD, Associate Professor of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, Columbia University; Professor Yury Grigoriev, Chairman of Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, and many others.”

Bauer

August 26, 2009 11:53 AM

OMG !

Kevin

August 26, 2009 12:30 PM

I wonder how long it will be until handset makers turn this into a product feature...

Apple's new iPhone 3GS+M: Enough microwave power to heat Cup-O-Noodle!

Dar

August 26, 2009 1:51 PM

Studies would have more credibility if they were done by a relatively impartial research team instead of a group whose purpose for existing is to push this point of view even before the study was done.

wiz

August 26, 2009 2:44 PM

difficult to find electromagnetic guards you can trust that have have been tested properly...I would like one for my son, diagnosed March 09.

Nina

August 26, 2009 3:06 PM

I don't know about credibility of the research, but it does make sense. I'll try not to use cell phone as much as I can.

Interconnect

August 26, 2009 4:40 PM

Radiation to youth in developing countries with highest teledensity in the world. The youth model should be studied, with various brands of basic cell phones particularly three or two year old, due to poverty. This should be circulated to the ITU the UN body, and the regulatory authorities worldwide, being ITU members. Should decide the fate of the cheap phones in developing countries being targeted for teledensity, in India, China, Pakistan, Bangladesh are biggest targets. Strict enforcement from the regulatory aurhorities suggested.

Karthigai Raja

August 26, 2009 7:09 PM

Irrespective of many research findings on the health hazards that occur due to the use of cell phones, the number of cell phone users is increasing day by day. After water, air, living place now the fourth one cellphone is also considered as a basic need for the men. Science only has invented the new things with hazardous nature hence it is its responsibility to give the remedy for it...

Ed

August 26, 2009 7:59 PM

Is International EMF Collaborative even a real group? They don't exist in Google or Bing. They have a name that is similar to an actual group (International EMF Project, affiliated with WHO) but appear to be a group of anti-powerline and anti-wireless groups.

RadiationResearch is a group out to end "elctrosmog" for people who are allegedly sensitive to the presence of EMF fields. PowerWatch is an anti-wireless/anti-powerline group in the UK.

This is PR spin and activism masquerading as science knowing full well that reporters fall for anything branded "science". I was hoping there was something new here but there is not.

SteveTobak

August 26, 2009 8:51 PM

What is this post even doing in a Management blog?

Jasmine N.

August 26, 2009 10:14 PM

"Science has shown increased risk of brain tumors from use of cellphones, as well as increased risk of eye cancer, salivary gland tumors, testicular cancer, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and leukemia. The public must be informed.”

This doesn't make sense, how does using your cellphone give you testicular cancer??

Strategery

August 26, 2009 10:25 PM

Tumors aside, what is the risk of using a phone while driving (or biking, walking or operating machinery for that matter)?

James

August 26, 2009 10:41 PM

James

August 26, 2009 10:43 PM

Jasmine N., you get testicular cancer when you carry your cellphone in your pant pocket. But, it's something you don't have to worry about. But that's something you don't have to worry about.

Ogunlade E Yemi

August 26, 2009 11:06 PM

Please, the publication of this report on Cellphone must be passed across to WHO for prompt action

Ogunlade E Yemi

August 26, 2009 11:11 PM

fbyrd

August 27, 2009 9:24 AM

Scientists, such as Michael Faraday, demonstrated that electromagnetic forces damage living tissue back in the 1830's. This has been tested and documented by numerous researchers since then. Cellphones generate fairly powerful microwave energies, in relation to their proximity to human body organs. Cellphones (including some Bluetooth devices) are operated near your head, chest, waist and groin (when kept in your pocket). It is a fact that biological damage is being done. The issue is how much damage is being done over time, and how much data should be reported, politically and legally.

Bill

August 27, 2009 10:41 AM

Yes the science is real... check out recent comments on Canadian TV by US Prof. Martin Blank. Lloyd Morgan knows his stuff... he's a retired electrical engineer who got a brain tumor and then found out there was no one tracking non-fatal brain tumors. Anyone who thinks there are no business implications must be out to lunch. And don't wait for the WHO to issue a warning... their head of electromagnetic safety for many years was Mike Repacholi who accepted money from the industry. Check out Prof. Andrew Marino's website "SOB's at WHO".

krisshan kant sundriyal

August 27, 2009 12:00 PM

Recent Swedish epidemiological studies confirm that after 2000 hours of cellular phone exposure or a latency period of about 10 years, brain cancer risks rises by 240 percent
Human DNA hears the different emr frequencies loud & Clear, reacting like a human ear would do to high volume country music. Irradiated cells struggle to protect themselves against this destructive dissonance by hardening their membranes. They cease to receive nourishment, stop releasing toxins, die prematurely & spill micronuclei fragments into a sort of “tunor bank account. A 4 year study conducted by the EU by 12 research groups in 7 European countries found that radiation from cell phones harm body cell & damage DNA
The electrical smog, that increased several times after the introductions of mobile phones,
computers,TV’s, high frequency lines & the wireless technology causes the numerous diseases such as Cancer,leukemia,tumor,hair loss,abortion,depression & even suicidal tendencies.
Tesla Plates are the only Natural Tools to provide protection from ELECTRO MAGNETIC RADIATION which results in all kinds of COMPUTER RELATED INJURIES, ie- Pain, Stress, Fatigue, Depression, Suicidal Tendencies, etc, etc.
An Incredible FREE Gift for You! & your loved ones & PETS
DETAILS & Photo Album : purpleenergyproducts.com
!!!! http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu148/teslaindia_photos/

John

August 28, 2009 9:12 AM

I've just started reading the article from radiationresearch.org. There's a substantial alarm bell on page 11, where the author compares an Israeli study of x-ray exposure being linked to elevated cancer risk with the current situation for cellular phone exposure.

While both microwave radiation (as emitted by cellular phones) and x-ray radiation (as in, well, x-rays) are forms of electromagnetic radiation (i.e. light), to compare the effects of the two is folly. X-rays are sufficiently energetic as to ionize atoms. That is, they contain enough energy that they'll kick an electron out of an atom, producing a highly reactive ion. Microwaves are less energetic than required even to set a chemical bond vibrating. They're able to cause molecular rotation, and nothing more.

"Scientists" who don't even recognize this difference in energies deserve all of our skepticism in matters such as this. While I'm willing to believe that there may have been flaws in the majority of studies on microwave radiation and its impact on cancer risk, one simply cannot link studies of ionizing radiation to studies of microwave radiation.

John

August 28, 2009 9:28 AM

Sorry, but as I've read on, there's another gem of apparent contradiction appearing on page 16 of the report:

In discussing a research paper on the link between microwave radiation and leakage in the blood brain barrier, the paper points out that "The highest BBB leakage occurs at lower exposure levels and decreases for higher exposure levels."

This is directly in contradiction with the paper's earlier assertion that: "The higher the radiated power from cellphone use, the higher the risk;" and "The higher the exposure . . . the higher
the risk."

In short, the author is picking and choosing when to follow his own rules for evaluating the studies!

gandolph

August 28, 2009 12:32 PM

I'm a physicist and I just wrote a blog about cell phone and microwave radiation. Please check it out

Jasmine are you that dumb?

August 28, 2009 10:00 PM

where do you think men keep their cell phones?

Ellie

August 31, 2009 10:20 PM

OMG is right. My husband has a malignant brain tumor from his long term cell phone exposure. This is for real folks and I am so proud of Business Week for printing this. I testified to Congress last year and will be back in DC soon. PLEASE pass the workd- I know know far too many people now that this has happened to and they are young!!!!

Pekka

September 2, 2009 12:55 PM

If you noticed, the Russia's RNCNIRP representative is among signatories.

Russia has the best experience in this non-ionizing research area, over 70 years.

Please, check the official warning of RNCNIRP Russia in English:

radiationresearch.org/pdfs/rncnirp_children.pdf

More at pole.ru.

Risk of children are many times bigger than for adults who have started to use mobile phones in the adulthood.

Ashley D.

September 14, 2009 11:23 AM

Where is this report ? All I see are new articles talking about it. I want to read it for myself. Can anyone find it ? If you have better luck please post the URL. AWD

Gina

September 15, 2009 9:11 AM

I believe every word of these reports. YOu don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that putting radiation up to your ear will cause brain tumors if you are on it enough during the day. Many executives have died from brain tumors in the financial district and corporations because they insist on doing business by cell. Johnny Cochran had a brain tumor and so did Ted Kennedy, and you have to wonder if it was caused by cell phone use.

I am very worried about WIFI and kids because the schools make them use laptops from 7th grade on (at least where we live), and the battery gets so hot. I am afraid of radiation seeping out of my huge desktop (imac) and router because every time I go on it, I get horrendous headaches and I can feel my brain switch. I've already had a salivary gland and my bp goes up when I'm on it. I did some reseach and when it first came out, they were worried about the amount of radiation (they were made in china - first lead, now radiation) - but that report was done in 2005 publisched by cnet (don't know where the report came from). It is frightening, as I never had the headaches I get from the mac - pc wasn't that bad.

It's akin to smoking in the 50's. There were no health warnings on the label, and you have to know when you are inhaling smoke, it will kill you. My mother died from COPD (chronic bronchitis & emphysema), where is worse than lung cancer the doctors told her - at least with lung cancer, you can try and operate. Emphysema is a slow, suffocating death and people don't realize that. She was NOT a heavy smoker...perhaps 1-2 a day. Yet she died at 59lbs....it ate every part of her body, weakened her bones, narrowed her esophagus...and it makes me cringe when I watch the COPD commercials with people functioning in daily life - it's all bs. You need oxygen, and can barely exist = the disease is so debilatating.

The same here - in years to come, we will find millions of cases of brain tumors from laptops, wifis, cell phones...and i don't think it's an exaggeration. The world was better without all this technology - it comes at a price. But many will poo poo this and take their chances....Enter at your own risk. Just be careful.

blank frank

September 16, 2009 8:57 PM

for the person looking for the actual report, go here and click "download report" button.

One must consider the source. More research is needed.

Patricia

September 16, 2009 10:57 PM

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Patricia

no rad

September 18, 2009 7:21 AM

one thing is sure, using cell phone will not help your healht!

I think that a person should use them only when there is no other option and only for couple of minutes.

blog.tapuz.co.il/NoRad

Fred

October 21, 2009 11:09 AM

On october 2009 the Journal of Clinical Oncology (official publication of the American Clinical Oncology Society that also have cancer.net), with 27,000 members, published a study that arrives to the conclusion that cell phone users have 10-30% more risk to suffer cancer that those that do not use cell phones. The risk was particularly high for long term users (more than 10 years).

lizzie

November 6, 2009 8:30 AM

i never knew this was for skool research it is fasinating

Alo Solomon - (Nigeria)

December 6, 2009 6:42 AM

To say the fact placing cell phone or gsm phone against the head or body is wrong because EMF was meant to stay in space and if at all we need to pull it down to earth surface for our own useage then it suppose to be pick up with a long antenna errected high up above the roof top of buildings NOT placed beside the human head i.e.(BRAIN)

Base on this and other findings I have been making for the past SEVEN months I decided to start a campaign title SAFE NAIJA BRAIN which prompeted me to compiled a video for all Nigerians to see the potential problem this phones can give to them and how to prevent it and also all new devices that can used to reduced it from causing damaging effect on their body system.

Although Nigeria just started using GSM technology from year 2000 till date therefore before any extensive users can be affect by Brain Tumor that will take like one or two decade from the time of useage which I did expressed in my explaination inside the video.

The only help I need from fellow Nigerians in diaspora or at home or International organisation now is their support, fund and Legal backing because I know goverment, phone manuafacturer and GSM service provider will not stop until I am shut down in-order not to spread the news to the public. Although I do campagn in buses and people testify to my point that all I have said was the truth and they tend to know more, the way out and new devices they need to buy to prevent it.

You can reach me through my campagn email address (safenaijabrain@yahho.com)for more information as my reaserch still continues.

Alo Solomon - (Nigeria)

December 6, 2009 6:56 AM

You can reach me through my campagn email address (safenaijabrain@yahoo.com)for more information as my reaserch still continues.

olly

January 8, 2010 4:19 AM

this is great used it for my coursework and actually really helped thank
Olly

olly

January 8, 2010 4:20 AM

this is great used it for my coursework and actually really helped thanks
Olly

Mark

January 18, 2010 4:30 PM

i really want to do this for a science fair project but dos it really give you brain tumor?

penny

February 15, 2010 8:43 PM

My son was diagnosed with a brain tumor and in his work he spends all day on a wireless computer and cell phone usage. He was given 1-4 years to live and is only 33. Thanks to the cell phone conglumurates who pile the money into their bank accounts you will never see anything done about it. Take cigarette commercials. Years ago they were the number one ad in Medical Magazines bragging that more doctors smoke camels. Now they finally have come out and admitted that cigarettes were bad for you and that they always were. Until the public gets mad enough or until somebody in the cell phone industry has their child, spouse or themselves diagnosed, you won't see anything done! GET MAD AMERICA before you become a victim also.

kar9646

February 22, 2010 8:14 PM

It amazes me that soooooooo many parents give their children cell phones. It's really sad that many of these kids will die prematurely because of their constant cell phone and wifi usage. The wireless companies will do everything in their power to make people believe that cell phones are safe. Do your own research and above all else use some common sense. I think any reasonable person can see how cell phones are dangerous. The problem is most people are addicted to them and will never give them up - that is until the are diagnosed with a brain tumor themselves. I take that back - I think for most people that wouldn't even stop their addiction.

Virginia Farver

March 23, 2010 9:16 PM

Everyone type in,"SDSU ROOM HAUNTED BY CANCER."

Virginia Farver

March 23, 2010 9:17 PM

Everyone type in," SDSU ROOM HAUNTED BY CANCER."