Twitter Advice from Comcast

Posted by: Jena McGregor on July 2, 2009

Today’s New York Times has some good advice for professional users of the popular micro-blogging service Twitter. It features the 24-year-old Bonnie Smalley, a customer service representative for Comcast, one of the earliest corporate adopters of using Twitter to help resolve customer service issues. (It had to try something new, after all—the cable provider’s service reputation has long been notoriously poor, inspiring its own hate sites and even violent acts by angry 75-year-old women.)

Here’s a summary of the tips Smalley (Twitter name: comcast bonnie) offers:

—Use a “console” application rather than a browser for faster posting and less crashing.

—Post a picture of yourself to humanize the brand.

—Employ privacy settings in case you also make personal tweets.

—Find the bookmark function on Twitter (yes, it has one).

—If you tweet professionally, set parameters on your time.

Thomas Huynh

July 3, 2009 3:16 PM

Bonnie is a Twitter warrior considering her tweets were so fast/numerous Twitter thought she was a computer spamming people. LOL fascinating! Good for Comcast for allowing employees like Bonnie to participate in solving customers' problems via such networks because they should realize by now how much money she has either saved or made for them because of her diligent customer service. The personal photo was a smart move. Sincerely, Thomas @ Sonshi.com

levi

July 4, 2009 9:15 AM

Now if only Best Buy did this, because their terrible customer service just lost a loyal shopper.

I'll only buy from Costco, Target and Amazon.com before I ever step foot in that craphole again.

DanTe

July 4, 2009 10:37 AM

Tweets are for twits with lots of time on their hands. Read: no job, no life. But lots of twit "friends" who will not help you move or lend you money.

Thomas Huynh

July 5, 2009 10:01 AM

Levi, the funny thing is the execs at Best Buy probably think they have an advantage over Costco, Target, or Amazon in customer service!

I had a similar situation happened at Circuit City. Went in wanting to buy a big screen and the sales guy didn't want to spend the time to answer my newbie questions and so I left. The likely problem with a lot of these situations is they have untrained workers but attitude is also lacking, so why not go to places where you can save money and not EXPECT any? Sincerely, Thomas @ Sonshi.com

gil

July 5, 2009 11:57 PM

What is twitter?

Faryal Humayun

July 6, 2009 2:02 AM

Dominos Pizza presents a great case study for selling pizzas using Twitter and making huge success. More applications need to be developed to help other business sectors such as job hunt and recruitment.

@faryalhumayun

stock trader

July 22, 2009 11:43 AM

twittering as stocktradr

i twitter from 6:30 am to 1pm pdt. when the stock market is open. i put my trades up in real time. my best trade was up 6000%. you can check my updates. in the evening, i post what i find from newspapers at the library. i walk everyday. library is on my route. lately i have been limited out of twitter. to much twittering. i have about 940 followers. i get 5 to 15 a day depending what i talk about. teaching stock trading. stock trading. jobs. my travel adventures. advanced input technology. advanced interfaces research for my phd. helpful tips. whatever i find interesting. i stopped watching tv when they switched to digital tv here in the usa. twitter is my tv. (third posting).

i did not know much about twitter. but people follow me.

inputexpert