Judgment (or Eliot Spitzer's Lack Thereof)

Posted by: Diane Brady on March 10, 2008

Somewhere, perhaps at a rooftop bar in Manhattan, I imagine Hank Greenberg, Dick Grasso and Ken Langone toasting each other. Former New York Attorney General (and, at the moment, current New York Governor) Eliot Spitzer may have accused them of various wrongs stemming from hubris to outright greed, but nobody could ever say they hired a prostitute to come down from New York to Washington for the night. (Did she catch a private jet, or just take the Amtrak train like most business travelers?)

Spitzer is not the first executive to have hired a call girl during a business trip, nor will he be the last. But I marvel that a man who held others to such rigorous standards wouldn’t impose some of the same on himself. I find myself thinking of the recent book on Judgment, by Noel Tichy and Warren Bennis. Needless to say, Spitzer showed a remarkable lack of judgment when it came to managing his own life. He has accused the insurance industry of being “rife with corruption” and secured billions in settlements from Wall Street firms. He also knew he had a very public gallery of enemies waiting to pounce on any mistake he made.

Supporters say Spitzer did much to enhance the rights of individual traders, while critics accused him of going too far in his zest to uncover financial malfeasance. His stint in Albany, meanwhile, has already been marked by drama and accusations. Whatever his record, though, this latest chapter will sadly become a defining moment in Spitzer’s career.

emess

March 11, 2008 11:25 AM

He should not only resign for using a prostitute, but he should go to jail for paying $4,300 plus. No hooker is worth that kind of money. Maybe it is not Wall Street or the insurance industry that is corrupt, but maybe he is to be able to afford that kind of money. He's a bum and needs to resign and go to jail.

Dee

March 11, 2008 11:48 AM

All I could focus on was his poor wife's face. For once can a woman not just "stand by her man"?! She should have been home with her two daughters, lighting his belongings on fire, clearing out his bank account and changing the locks!

parkepg

March 11, 2008 11:53 AM

He broke the law did he not? What makes people think he is suppose to get special treatment? He hired a hooker and as far as I know that is illegal.

His wife is an idiot if she continues to stand by him. I am so sick of women who can't stand up for themselves and get a backbone. I mean how humiliating can this get. Hilary Clinton is another idiot as far as I am concerned.

I am sick of hearing about all these politicians and their sex scandals. My God doesn't ANYONE have integrity anymore? Why do men even get married if they are just going to cheat on their wives anyway.

I tell you what, any man cheats on me, that's it, I am done with him. He will not be double dipping with me and give me some kind of STD.

Oh well, just venting and actually, it felt good.

Diane

March 11, 2008 3:21 PM

I can't help but wonder how this scandal is going to impact Hillary Clinton's campaign. For me, at least, it instantly evoked images of her standing there as Bill tried to explain what exactly had happened in the Oval Office with Monica Lewinsky.

Peter

March 11, 2008 7:11 PM

I am amazed that walls streeters are so excited about this sad news... Here is my version of begining scene:

Somewhere, perhaps at a rooftop bar in Manhattan, I imagine Hank Greenberg, Dick Grasso and Ken Langone toasting each other. "Hahahha, the setup worked so flawless. Now is the pay back time!!!"

Steve

March 13, 2008 8:06 PM

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword, and Spitzer certainly should.

His hyprocracy, arrogance...self-righteousness abounds.

He has used his power to destroy people accused of similar offenses, hid the money transactions, and used his friend's name instead of his own when he went on his trysts. Not sure if the Mann Act applies, but if so, it should.

The self-professed "FU*%ING Steamroller" should go to prison. Not for being a john who wanted unprotected sex (hopefully a sexless marriage, lest he be willing to sicken his wife)and for disprespecting his family like they were meaningless...allowing his daughters to suffer humilitiation. But because he wielded absolute power to destroy lives...he did. Now he should go down for the illegal actions which he surely committed.

Liken it to a cop who catches you in private doing something illegal, takes it public and has you sent to prison and then goes home and does the same thing. Wake up America! This cannot stand!

Ben

March 14, 2008 1:20 PM

In judging Eliot Spitzer, people are putting themselves in the same situation that Spitzer put himself. The more one judges others, the greater the punishment when it comes time for that person's judgement. If you are going to scrutinize Eliot Spitzer, that is fine, as long as you are willing to be scrutinized just as harshly when you make a mistake. Don't make the same mistake he made, thinking he had a right to judge.