‘Tis the season to fill yourself with firm convictions about improving your life and your career. And it’s the season, of course, for books on how to do it. The latest is Monday Morning Choices: 12 Powerful Ways to Go from Everyday to Extraordinary.
Author David Cottrell comes up with three broad categories of “choices” concerning character, action, and investments. The 12 steps:
1. The no-victim choice (Don’t let your past eat your future)
2. The commitment choice (be willing to pay the price of success)
3. The values choice (chose the right enemies and don’t be miffed that some people will oppose your values)
4. The integrity choice (the perennial plea to do the right thing)
5. The do-something choice (don’t just sit there …)
6. The persistence choice (learn from failure)
7. The attitude choice (be enthusiastic)
8. The adversity choice (conquer difficult times)
9. The relationship choice (build positive relationships)
10. The criticism choice (embrace tough feedback)
11. The reality choice (face it, and be true to yourself)
12. The legacy choice (after you’ve won all those riches, share them)
It all sounds so easy, no?
How can you manage smarter? Bloomberg Businessweek contributors synthesize insights from the brightest business thinkers, critique the latest management trends, and comment on leaders in the news.