Spam calls from John Demartini

Posted by: Diane Brady on June 14, 2007

For weeks now, I have been receiving telemarketing-style messages from a female caller, promoting someone named John Demartini. The voice mail (all the calls seem to be sent in the middle of the night) says: “John Demartini is a nationally renowned motivational speaker who can …” and then exhorts me to call a 1-800 number to find out more. The speaker sounds bored with her own script. She could just as well be hawking auto insurance or community theater tickets instead.

It’s a bizarre media strategy. I see that the man has a web site and a new book out this fall—The Gratitude Effect (“As seen in The Secret”!). He claims to have sold out shows everywhere from South Africa to the U.S. So why does he have to employ spam-like techniques to get media coverage? Every time, I call the number, the woman there claims to know nothing about such promotional efforts. I’m going to take his advice and express gratitude, if they’ll take me off their phone list.

Smiley

June 18, 2007 10:54 AM

My voicemail spam comes from Ken Hughes. Or rather, a female automated voice calling on behalf of Ken Hughes. I don't bother responding, because if the call was as important as the femputer claims, a live person (possinly even the illustrious Mr. Hughes himself) would have placed the call. I can't be in a relationship that begins with that sort of dishonesty.

Linda Tonini

July 24, 2007 11:42 AM

Please be advised I am the director for Demartini Seminars. Ms. Brady has called several times in complaint of this automated call she is receiveng. I have repeatedly assured Ms. Brady this is not coming from Demartini. We don't even have an 800 number, ours is 888. We DO NOT use automated anything!
I have asked Ms. Brady to give me the 800 number so we can research but to date she has not done so. THIS IS DEFINITLY NOT COMING FROM ANY DEMARTINI AFFILIATIONS. WE DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS IN THIS MANNER.

Suzie Hammond

September 17, 2008 8:43 PM

Hello,
I've just been to a seminar of the above mentioned Mr Martini and quite frankly, and this is for women specifically, how does this man have the audacity to stand and make a joke about a woman being gang-raped by 100 men and then tell us that she found a way to be grateful for it.
Utter BS and a disgrace and an audience full of 'planted' spectators, not my most enjoyable evening and perhaps someone should have a word with him about compassion, although it does not seem to be in this man's vocabulary.

Claude Dietrich

October 14, 2008 8:03 PM

This guy speaks well (and fast) and that is all. His discourse is that of a con man. All his degrees are from next to fake institutions, as fake as he is. Am I so special to have immediately smelt a rat when listening to an interview he gave on radio in Australia? I did subsequently a bit of search on the guy so appalled I was by his claims. Not much there unfortunately.

George Cavanagh

November 10, 2008 8:11 AM

Sounds like "Dr" Demartini is still at the Panhandling business but in the millionares bracket/racket end now. Good luck to him I say and the more people he milks the better. The aussies should really have known better though and kicked him out off their circuits by now. I guess John has gone there for the great sirf. By the way I caught his interview on Sky TV. Good presence and nice anecdotes. Googled him and saw he read all the ologies and that's got ME interested in QUANTUM MECHINICS. So John Demartini... your ideas work based on the science and there's nothong wrong with that but I'm worrird about the "plants" in your audience , a true majician!!

Michael P Sliman

December 2, 2008 1:57 AM

This panel of writers, with, of course, the exception of Ms. Tonini, is obviously too bored with there own lives to figure out that there are still some people alive in this world who have the ability to change the world with love, wisdom, gratitude, certainty and presence. These words still have meaning -- try learning something. Yes, I am a collegue of Dr. Demartini, with some news for some of you no-lifes out there: he gets a kick out of people that "dis" him. Give it your best shot. No doubt, he is not a dazed pie-in-the-sky personality and certainly he does not have the time or need to fake anything or spam for clients. Trust me.

George Cavanagh

March 12, 2009 5:40 PM

Agree with slimy Sliman, I for one was bored when I last commented on "Dr" Demartini. How's he doing with the credit cruch now that it's in full swing. Heard even the mighty Warren Buffet has lost half his wealth going from 41 billion to a measly 24 billion pounds. I suspect "Dr" Demartini is down to his last million by now and falling. But who am I to gloat, being down to my last 200,000 in 20008 and soon to be broke by the end of October 2009. Any wise words of the good "Dr" would be most welcome right about now. PS... I've found Jesus... he was hiding behind my curtains.