P. Diddy to Open a Business School in Harlem

Posted by: Alison Damast on February 8, 2010

Aspiring rappers and music entrepreneurs will soon be able to hone their business acumen under the guidance of Sean “Diddy” Combs, the U.S. rap star and actor. The hip-hop mogul announced last week that he plans to open us his own business school in New York City’s Harlem, the neighborhood in which he was born. Diddy revealed his plans during an interview with CNN’s AC360, according to an article in AceShowBiz.

“I want to have an academy that’s known for building leaders. I feel that’s one of the things I can have an impact on,” Diddy said in the CNN interview on Feb. 5.

Diddy, who oversees a multi-million dollar empire, is no stranger to entrepreneurship and the business world. He serves as CEO of Bad Boy Entertainment and Sean John Clothing Inc., to name just a few of his business pursuits. Launching his own school will allow him to be a positive role model for young people, he said in the CNN interview.

“I try to lead by example. I try to show people that there’s no excuse, especially young people, that if I can do it, then you can do it,” Diddy said.

To watch an excerpt of the CNN interview with Diddy, click here:

Readers, what do you think of P. Diddy’s plans to open up a business school? Do you think it will be a success?

Jose Camacho

February 8, 2010 11:11 PM

I think he should call it the "school of hard knocks" or "old skool"

Realdo Anis

February 10, 2010 8:08 PM

so first level i would like to say congratulation for you p.diddy,and your very successful guy,i appreciate that may GOD continue to bless you diddy.

Realdo Anis

February 10, 2010 8:09 PM

Monica

February 12, 2010 12:18 PM

“I try to lead by example. I try to show people that there’s no excuse, especially young people, that if I can do it, than you can do it,” Diddy said.

Then not than.

Maybe Diddy needs to get schooled himself.

Bradley

February 13, 2010 3:48 PM

That's a great idea. It is a positive step in uplifting a disenfranchised group. I would suggest P.Diddy try to get more of his counterparts involved so they too can make positive impacts on communities like Harlem. I am sure it will be an academy with the best educators and above average business program that can rival the world's best. This could be the beginning of an urban upliftment that can have long lasting economic implications for generations to come. Keep up the good work.

Mike

February 16, 2010 12:14 PM

so lame ...

Collin

February 16, 2010 1:05 PM

I'm with Bradley, I think it's a great idea!

There's so much misdirected energy/drive/talent out there. Hopefully, Diddy will truly be a positive role model and offer an education that will provide his students with business skills that can be used in a variety of industries.

Monica, do you really think that Diddy transcribed his own interview? You can hear him say "then" in the clip. If that's all you took from the article, maybe you need more schooling...

Joe

February 17, 2010 10:56 AM

I'm adding this as a safety school in case I get rejected from Columbia and Stern.

Carl

February 17, 2010 5:23 PM

@Joe..Mock if you must but I much rather learn from someone worth over $300 million than some person sitting in an office writing papers with no real accomplishments. This is business and real world trumps prestige any day in my book.

Samantha

February 17, 2010 7:25 PM

@Carl. FYI, Warren Buffett went to Columbia. He is worth just a little more than $300 million at $62 billion in 2008. But I don't know, maybe in your book, $300 million is more than $62 billion.

Guy Serge Tahye

February 17, 2010 8:45 PM

I think it is a great entrepreneurial venture. Diddy is worth a few thousand millions... and it take more than that to get a school running..I expect the right tuition to keep things going. He just needs to make it very clear that it will be nothing free, or it is deemed to failure... Congrats. Diddy.

Bryan Chan

February 18, 2010 2:51 PM

Instead of starting his own business school and worrying about accreditations, etc, I think P.Diddy should channel his efforts to helping existing non-profit, free-tuition institutions. Some examples include the University of the People and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (http://bit.ly/8f0Vaj) among others.

Michael

February 21, 2010 7:47 PM

I think it is a good idea. Better to teach a person how to fish than to distribute fishes.

---
@Samantha: Buffet, Diddy, Trump... the *principle* remains the same: Great to learn directly from a self-made, hard-knocks, wealthy person vs someone with only 'book' acumen.

Stepaney Latrice

February 23, 2010 10:18 AM

ok, the school is a great idea, i couldn't be happier. but in Harlem? i have nothing against Harlem, but for pete sakes, Diddy! Location!!!

Ray

February 23, 2010 3:26 PM

@ Monica,

Diddy was being interviewed face to face. He did not write anything out... whoever wrote the article needs to be schooled.
===========
@ Jose,
I hope you're joking. He would not be taken seriously.

lauren

February 25, 2010 4:51 PM

Monica: you're unintelligent. It is always if/than...not if/then. Way to look like a complete fool. You're the one that needs an education.

BW's Louis Lavelle

February 26, 2010 10:08 AM

I want to thank everyone for their close reading of this blog post. But in the interest of putting this then/than debate to rest, the way this appears in the blog post is correct. It's "if...then." Than is used when comparing two things: "Your house is bigger than my house." I've been writing and/or editing for more than 30 years...I'm as certain of this as I am of my own name. But if you don't believe me, look it up. My dictionary says then means "at that time," while than is "used to introduce the second element or clause of an unequal comparison: She is a better athlete than I." Whaddya say we devote some of the energy that's going into analyzing this non-mistake into discussing, oh, I don't know, maybe P. Diddy's plans for a b-school?

Louis Lavelle, Associate Editor, Bloomberg BusinessWeek

Jarrod

March 12, 2010 4:12 PM

Okay, so the business school sounds like it has the potential to be successful, but I agree that Harlem may be an odd location unless there is some sort of initiative to bring in students from the area. Obviously, there are plenty of issues to be worked out on the logistics side- but I would be willing to see what the institution had to offer.

Bradley

March 16, 2010 4:35 AM

I did not get the impression that Mr Combs meant that his business school was going to be competing with Columbia, Stern or Wharton. The impression I got is that of a kind of vocational school for the people of Harlem to teach them entrepreneurship. That is the community from whence he came so I believe he is trying to give back to his community. The location would therefore be appropriate. At the end of the day regardless what kind of educational institution it might be it is a positive thing for his community and for that he should be applauded, not ridiculed. I find it very strange that anyone would have a problem with such a positive idea. It takes nothing away from any of us. He is funding it with his own money, not ours. :)

John

March 18, 2010 8:07 AM

@ Stepaney Latrice

He is targeting Harlem since he grew up there and wants to help his community. Obviously he's not going to open it in the best place in NYC. Also, Harlem is starting to develop into a much nicer area than it had been, especially since Bill Clinton opened an office there.

Gen

April 14, 2010 6:53 AM

I think that this is a great idea. He is a self-made success, and there are too many people in this world complaining that they haven't had the same opportunities at success as others- he has proven that it is up to the individual to make opportunities, not wait for them.

I also believe that locating the school in Harlem is going to help Harlem's image, bring more money into the area and allow for more "urban renewal". Again, opportunities are made, and Diddy is making opportunities for Harlem.

Felicia

August 28, 2010 9:08 PM

As a small business owner, I think the business school will be great, I support you Sean. As a recent MBA graduate, I would be willing to be a mentor at the school. I'm currently a mentor to adult students at a local University.

Here's wishing the school much success.

Mafa Brutus Makumbi

September 2, 2010 10:03 AM

Sean, you always inspire me man, you got these amazing ideas and a zeal to see them through, I am not really suprised to see that you are coming with this because you have kept on doing greater things, I would not expect anything less.
God has blessed you with amazing business mind, and keep flying the flag.
I think you would not set the sky as the limit,go can go even higher!!!

Mafa Brutus Makumbi