Simon School Starts Scholarship Program for Applicants Impacted by the Financial Crisis

Posted by: Alison Damast on October 8, 2008

The University of Rochester’s Simon Graduate School of Business is stepping up to help business school applicants who have lost their jobs because of the financial crisis. The school announced on Oct. 8 that it will be offering 50 scholarships up to full rides to students in the incoming January class, as part of a program Simon is dubbing “InnovatUR.”

The move is part of a plan to add an additional 60 to 75 slots this year, bringing the size of the first-year class to about 250 students, said Simon School Dean Mark Zupan, in an interview on Oct. 8. This is an ideal time for the school to expand because many people who were recently laid off will be applying to business school this fall and the market will be flooded with new talent, he said.

“The way we’re viewing it is that it creates an opportunity for us, like Warren Buffet,” Zupan said. “These are folks that will help us take the school to the next level.”

This is the first move I’ve heard of by a business school to offer financial assistance to those impacted by the current financial crisis. Do you think other schools should also step up to the plate given the current economic times?

Okwudili Nwachukwu

October 20, 2008 5:51 PM

I"m from Nigeria and I need to apply for scholarship program.Can it be possible for me.

olaosebikan oluwabusola

February 18, 2009 9:37 AM

iam from Nigeria and a graduate of a well known university in nigeria,i have B.sc/Degree in business management i wish to apply for scholarship in any social sciences course for my master degree preferably MBA.i will be very glad if my request can be granted

olaosebikan oluwabusola

February 18, 2009 9:40 AM

i am from nigeria a graduate of a well known university in nigeria iwish to apply a scholarship for my MBA

Odimuko Oluchi

February 26, 2009 6:37 AM

I graduated as a microbiologist, and I'm working as a corporate strategist and would want to go far MBA in management consulting. Pls advice me on how to go about it.

philips udoh

March 9, 2009 2:38 PM

I AM A GRADUATE WITH HND IN STATISTIC FROM ONE OF THE REPUTABLE POLYTECHNICS IN NIGERIA.AM A TEACHER IN GAMBIAL AND DUE TO FINACIAL PROBLEM IN MY FAMILY L COULD NOT FURTHER MY EDUCATION FOR MBA AND MASTER PROGRAM,SO I NEED YOUR ASSISTAND FOR SCHOLASHIP IN ANY INSTITUTION IN EUROPE.I WILL BE VERY GREATFULL IF MY REQUEST COULD BE GIVEN DUE CONSIDARATION.YOURS PHILIPS

Okafor sixtus o.

April 25, 2009 8:02 AM

Please i am a student of madonna university in pharmacy department 200 level due increament of the school i have been look for assistane because of my father's death the support has being very low to my studies so please i don't want to drop out please if there is any help i will exetremly glad to acpuire it.Thanks