Toyota to recall 2.3 million more vehicles as its troubles continue

Posted by: David Welch on January 22, 2010

Tundra.jpg

The bad news just keeps rolling in for Toyota. Even with some $29.6 billion in cash (as of Sept. 30) the company can’t seem to buy a break. On Jan. 21, the company said it is voluntarily recalling 2.3 million Toyota brand vehicles to correct a sticking accelerator pedal. This recall is in addition to the 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles that are being recalled to correct problems with floor mats sticking on the accelerator, the company said in a statement. The recalls came amid claims from some vehicle owners that either floor mats or the accelerator pedals were causing the car to lurch forward unexpectedly, causing accidents.

Plaintiffs’ attorneys have already been lining up. But for Toyota, the bigger damage could be done in the court of public opinion. Even though problems with the recalled models are not common, according to Toyota’s statement, this is just the latest in a series of large and embarrassing recalls. For its part, Toyota explained in its press release that, “the condition is rare, but can occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn and, in certain conditions, the accelerator pedal may become harder to depress, slower to return or, in the worst case, stuck in a partially depressed position. Toyota is working quickly to prepare the correction remedy.” Here is the list of cars being recalled: 2009-2010 RAV4, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2007-2010 Camry, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Toyota is voluntarily recalling those cars to head off major problems or potential accidents. The company is known for handling recalls well. But the more pressing problem for Toyota is that these recalls and quality snafus can threaten the company’s reputation for quality. That image for great reliability is the foundation of the company’s sales success. For all of its prowess, Toyota is simply not known for having great styling or grin-inducing performance. Toyotaphiles appreciate the company’s quality, engineering and fuel-efficient technology.

Quality was supposed to be a given. And when problems started to appear, Toyota vowed it would make quick amends. Back in July 2006, former Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe bowed deeply in apology at a press conference, according to a report in the New York Times. The company launched an initiative to solve quality problems, examine customer service and look at costs. After Toyota’s headlong expansion in the ‘90s and most of this decade, it seems they had lost control of some of the basic principles that made it such a great company. Watanabe was trying to reaffirm the company’s commitment to quality.

New CEO Akio Toyoda has redouble those efforts. If Toyota doesn’t get a handle on this issue, the company could make the same kind of missteps that Detroit’s automakers did when quality problems started cropping up in the ‘70s. Those problems gave consumers a reason to look elsewhere, creating opportunity for Toyota, Honda and Datsun—which became Nissan in the early ‘80s—to get a foothold in the U.S. market. It’s far too early to count Toyota out. The company isn’t near where Detroit’s carmakers were in the ’80s. But if the recalls continue, Toyota could be exposed to a resurgent Ford or to ambitious players like Hyundai-Kia and Volkswagen. Even General Motors is showing some signs of stability. All of those companies are on the march just when Toyota is stalling.

big boy

January 22, 2010 3:00 PM

Yota is over rated boring junk!

Former Toyota Fan

January 22, 2010 3:45 PM

If you think this is bad, please check out the issue with the Prius HID headlights! The internet is full of stories of headlights failing with no notice while driving! And if you don't crash, the headlight bulb is over $500 to replace! If the ECU is junk as well, add another $550 for just ONE headlight. My Acura HID lasted 8 years with no issues but yet some Prius owners go through 2 or 3 a year. Never again, Toyota!!!

Kim

January 22, 2010 3:52 PM

OH No!! there is a recall issue involving the 2010 Sequoia. See article.

steve

January 22, 2010 4:09 PM

WRONG. The problems that Detroit has are MUCH different than the problems that Toyota faces.

The problems in Detroit were representative of a deep rooted belief that the American consumer should pay for a new car from Detroit every 3-4 years.

The plan was called "Planned Obsolescence". It allowed Toyota, Nissan, and Honda to destroy them competitively.

Strategery

January 22, 2010 4:11 PM

I'm not a Toyota fan, but put this in perspective: Ford vehicles were known for rollovers for years before the company did anything about it. GM and Chrysler eliminated any liability through bankruptcy (includes fixing recalls and liability from pending, settled or future accidents and other problems.)

Rosalina Davila

January 22, 2010 4:14 PM

I had a Matrix 2009 i experienced the problem already took my vehicle into 2 diferrent dealears state nothing seem happen my problem still i need someone to help me i am in the state of south carolina i purchase my car in Florida thanks Rosalina Davila.

Rosalina Davila

January 22, 2010 4:14 PM

Stepen

January 22, 2010 4:16 PM

172,000 miles and still starts immediately. Toyota has a long way to fall before I would lose faith in it's vehicles.

Nilda

January 22, 2010 4:22 PM

This is an fyi, thinking of your car...

Don Gitzlaff

January 22, 2010 4:26 PM

I'm a 54 year old, certified auto technician. I started with my dad in Kenosha wi. when AMC was king here. AMC was always knocked as low quality, but i would still take them over BIG THREE in the 60s to 80s. I became GM for the longest time, untill I realised I was getting ripped. Turning in our 05, leased Envoy, we purchased a 09 Toyota RAV . Mainly because the only time I see a Toyota vehicle in my shop, is for basic maintenance. And I mean, Toyota's over 100,000 miles, and ten years old. This recall is a minor problem, but should show potential customers that this company cares about the product. Unlike the GM's with fuel injectors that clog with rfg fuel.

phil

January 22, 2010 6:11 PM

A non-union company will always be superior to union made garbage. Statistically,the facts indicate Toyota is superior. period.

siphandone

January 22, 2010 6:34 PM

We have 2002 Highlander, 2009 Camry, 2010 Camry in our house. All are fine. I also had 1987 Celica in which I disposed of after 180,000 miles on it. Could not wait for pedal replacement for my new Camry's........

Pattijor

January 22, 2010 6:40 PM

I've had no problems with my '06 Prius. Toyota dealer replaced a headlight for $35.00.

Takeru

January 22, 2010 6:52 PM

There must be something wrong with the Japanese. For instance,
they have a strange employing system. You can have a look at the below sites.

Ph. D.’s in Japan can’t find work: Little recognition for high expertise, says Mainichi Communications Survey
June 16th, 2005 by Adamu

“We want to hire more in science and engineering, but save the Ph. D’s, please.”—This is the response enterprises gave when asked their employment projections for next spring by employment magazine publisher Mainichi Communications (Based in Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo). Most businesses listed “communications skills” as the most emphasized skill at the time of hiring, regardless of post-graduate status, and conspicuously gave little credit to the “expertise” of Ph. D’s.

401 companies responded to the survey, which was conducted in February and March of this year. This is the first survey investigating the hiring projections for undergrad, master’s, and doctoral graduates separately.

Of those businesses aiming to “increase” their hiring of science and engineering students next spring, 30.3% planned to hire graduates with a bachelor’s, 17.5% planned to hire master’s graduates, and only 7.1% planned to hire doctorates. On the contrary, 41.1% either had “no plans to hire” or “stopped hiring” Ph. D’s.

When asked what skills are considered most important when hiring (in a “choose all that apply” format), more than 70% of the companies cited “communication skills.” “A fighting spirit” and “the ability to get things done” were top in both bachelor’s and master’s graduates, but even among firms that planned to hire Ph.D’s only 32.8% cited “fundamental knowledge appropriate to education level” as an important skill.

Project Promotion Chief Takuya Kurita, who headed the survey, explained, “It seems as if the idea is still strong that Ph.D’s are too specialized and thus hard to utilize. Perhaps their attitudes would change if there were a chance for employers to come in contact with doctorates.”

The number of doctoral graduates has been growing year by year since the latter half of the 1990s as a result of a government policy of emphasizing post-graduate studies, reaching 15,000 people in 2004. Realizing that positions for full-time researchers at places like universities are limited, the Ministry of Education is treating the development of a diverse career path for Ph.D’s as an important policy measure. They recommend that companies “hire based on the practical ability to solve problems regardless of age.” (Taku Nishikawa)

Comment: The last sentence says it all. Firms in Japan simply do not want to hire older people. If you look at most “shushoku” (full time hiring) requirements, you will almost always see an age cutoff of about 25 or so. Firms want the chance to get them young to train them and make them into loyal company men. Call me cynical, but I don’t think companies will change their behavior simply because MEXT asks them to. Japan needs an age discrimination law (with teeth) and fast.

Lisa

January 22, 2010 7:29 PM

My beloved niece died in a car crash driving a 2007 Camry. State Troopers said when she crashed into the other vehicle, it appears she didn't slow down. If Toyota is the cause and I believe in my heart they are, this is such a tragedy. My niece Asia, was a little sister to me and she died less than two weeks before her 26th birthday. If anyone else knows of accidents or fatalities, please email me: lisarfruge@cox.net

Jane

January 22, 2010 7:52 PM

re: I see a Toyota vehicle in my shop, is for basic maintenance. And I mean, Toyota's over 100,000 miles, and ten years old.

But 10 year old Toyota was made in Japan. Modern Toyotas sold in North America are not. Big difference!

Demi

January 22, 2010 8:04 PM

We currently own a Toyota Camry that has driven over 155,000 miles. We have not had any major issues, and the only thing that needed to be changed was a new battery. We also own a Honda Accord, these two cars to me are the best on the road. How many recalls have other car makers had? Did you quit buying those too? Everyone wants more car for the best price, we all do. These two cars have the best record of longevity, with less major problems. There are other recalls from other car brands that are more fatal. I am not saying fatality is okay. I am just saying things happen, and unfortunately we are vunerable to newly developed merchandise. That is why some people do not take the N1H1 Vaccine, its new, they do not know what the side effects might bring to themselves or family members. They do not want to be the person tested to find out what they are.

Roy

January 22, 2010 8:21 PM

I wonder why there aren't any news about Toyota's quality in Japan? Maybe they are having issues coordinating with their American devision or something... I wonder...
But it's nice for companies to admit their wrong doing and trying to make up for it.

B Blue

January 23, 2010 12:47 AM

Put a Toyota drive train in any American made cars and I might start buying American cars again.

Jim

January 23, 2010 2:14 AM

Is Toyota becomes GM part II? After it becomes the world biggest auto maker than start falling apart?

Fernando

January 23, 2010 5:20 AM

At least they are taking full responsibility and doing something about it. A bad company would do anything in their power to get away without fixing the mess, but they are sticking their necks out. I give them props, I am sure they will do better in the future.

maryoakley

January 23, 2010 9:30 AM

is 2003 Toyato 4 runner on the list

maryoakley

January 23, 2010 9:30 AM

is 2003 Toyato 4 runner on the list

Christian

January 23, 2010 9:42 AM

LOL. So much for Toyota's "quality".

frank

January 23, 2010 11:31 AM

Obviuosly that recall is not a good news but it's definately better than hide the issue. It's not easy, but Toyota is doing the right thing.

herault

January 23, 2010 11:59 AM

Even with TOYOTA suffering some design related recalls the big question remains the survival of CHRYSLER-JEEP with FIAT-ALFA ROMEO as their rescuers. Italians are very capable carmakers in Europe. But has FIAT acquired the luck to be financial escape artists for an American icon? More recalls please TOYOTA!

j

January 23, 2010 2:11 PM

There is a new rule in the Obama administration. It is called smear Toyota. Obama forces Toyota recalls for the most rare problem. This generates lots of bad press for Toyota.

Mark Hillz

January 23, 2010 5:22 PM

Was GM for decades 63 chevy to 2005 GM Taho. GM Hid many things from me, Service bulletins to fix gaskets, intakes, and intermediate shafts. I had to FIGHT to get any service, and do the digging on my own. Now comes Toyota, 1996 Tocama with the rust thru frame problem.I get a letter in 2008 "TO EXTEND MY WARRENTY ON MY 1996 Tacoma"...............

WOW!!!!!! If I had a rust problem, to get it inspected, then do a KBB vvalue and Toyota would pay me 1.5 times the KBB stated value if I had the problem.

Has GM EVER extended their arm to try to keep a customer happy???

Most GM service managers are JERKS, they know NOTHING compared to the approach of Toyota.

Big 3..... May the Best cars win, but be sure with your "NEW cars" insure a customer satisification.

I think Ford is on the right path, and will consider their product.

Also, the american imports (Toyoa Mazda Honda), are forcing the Detrpoit 3 to make needed changes.

Mark Hillz

January 23, 2010 5:22 PM

Has GM EVER extended their arm to try to keep a customer happy???

I think Ford is on the right path, and will consider their product.

Janka

January 23, 2010 5:50 PM

I had Toyota Camry....made almost 300,000 before I got Honda Odyssey (needed car for children) and it is amazing....no problems, just oil and tires change. Honda and Toyota are the best. Had Subaru outback too, but not that great...

MHunter

January 23, 2010 6:19 PM

Recalls by Toyota have really increased since they started building cars in the US. This is so sad!!

Sreenath

January 23, 2010 7:25 PM

Well, it is really unfortunate that a company with such a stellar reputation for quality is going through such problems. It will, however, still take more than these issues for Toyota-loyal people to lose faith in their quality. One must also note that the new CEO of Toyota is focussed on making the company's products fun to drive. Ergo, the Lexus LFA. Toyota is in for something big. Something thats perhaps Nissan GTR level. Until it unfolds, though, we'll just have to wait and watch.

proctrujillooro

January 23, 2010 10:21 PM

Ilove toyotas I own a corolla 07 and i have no problems with it, but i may consider switchig to Honda
Hopefully toyotalearn from their mistakes

proctrujillooro

January 23, 2010 10:21 PM

Hopefully toyotalearn from their mistakes

jerrypayne

January 24, 2010 12:31 AM

IN my years I have owned several gm products. 66 gto 69 camaro and a 70 chevelle. Look at what any of those cars would bring today. I own a 2000 Impala, when the intake gaskets went out I called gm. The engineer actually told me they were not going to do anything about it until the government made them, whats even worse I listened to my wife and bought an HHR for her. what a piece of junk. 98 Ford f150 233000 miles. 1 radiator,1 alternator. GM GOODWRENCH what a joke you need a garage staff like leno to keep 1 going and you would still have to rent a car

Haris

January 24, 2010 12:52 AM

Toyota makes the best, most reliable friggin cars on the planet! Period.

Haris

January 24, 2010 12:52 AM

Toyota makes the best, most reliable friggin cars on the planet! Period.

Rick

January 24, 2010 1:01 AM

The real problem is not the accelerator but the the computer that controls everthing on the engine. There is no need for a drive by wire system except to make the vehicle more expensive and to satisfy the ego of some worthles nerd that does the computer design of the system. Hopefully this will put Toyota in the red.

Kev

January 24, 2010 3:16 AM

Every members of my family is driving Toyota or Lexus. All of the cars are still running smoothly even after 150,000 to 200,000 miles. Beside basic maintenance, Toyota has no problem at all. It is the best quality car in the whole world. Recall happened to ALL car companies in the past.

Mahesh Lad

January 24, 2010 8:29 AM

Well, I have full faith in Toyota Motor copmany and their brands. I have been using Toyota products including camery, Avalon,Corolla, Pick up trucks since 1989 and so as many of my friends. Mnay of my vehicles have covered over 150,000 miles. The 1994 pick up is still runiing good at 199,000 miles now.I am sure for the recalls, toyota will fix the problems to the utmost satisfaction of their owners. No question of frusrtation from either side.I wish all the best to Toyota Motor corporation to serve the motor industry at its top level. Thanks for reading. Mahesh Lad/KY/USA 01/24/2010

Mahesh Lad

January 24, 2010 8:31 AM

Well, I have full faith in Toyota Motor copmany and their brands. I have been using Toyota products including camery, Avalon,Corolla, Pick up trucks since 1989 and so as many of my friends. Many of my vehicles have covered over 150,000 miles. The 1994 pick up is still running good at 199,000 miles now.I am sure for the recalls, toyota will fix the problems to the utmost satisfaction of their owners. No question of frusrtation from either side.I wish all the best to Toyota Motor corporation to serve the motor industry at its top level. Thanks for reading. Mahesh Lad/KY/USA 01/24/2010

FED UP

January 24, 2010 9:01 AM

I love the blind stupidity of the typical Toyota owner, I had a similar problem with a Honda, it would take off on its own full throttle, of course the dealer could not find anything wrong with the car, they considered it high mileage at 60k? The cure I got rid of it and bought a Chevy, 75k and no problems not one. WAKE UP IS YOUR BLIND LOYALTY TO TOYOTA WORTH YOUR LIFE OR YOUR FAMILIES OR THE REST OF US THAT DRIVE RELIABLE AMERICAN CARS.

phil

January 24, 2010 9:08 AM

How come the fact that the pedal mechanisms are parts that are manufactured by a company called CTS Corp. isn't being talked about? Why doesn't the media talk about how many other auto manufacturer's use CTS Corp. accelerator pedal mechanism in their vehicles? If CTS Corporation supplies almost every manufacturer, that means Toyota is the only one that is being proactive in bringing vehicles in for a fix? All others are just waiting for the government to mandate it? If you do an internet search for stuck accelerator pedal and subtract Toyota (google search: accelerator pedal problems -toyota), you will find countless instances of other manufacturers having similar problems.

Does Toyota use any other supplier for this part or does every single part come from CTS Corp? If they do use more than one supplier, can someone still buy a top-notch Toyota product with an accelerator pedal that is from a supplier that doesn't supply defective (possibly) parts?

I think that the media should do some research and find out who makes the defective (supposed) accelerator mechanism, find out who else they supply to, and find out if Toyota uses any other supplier for the same part. I think Toyota is being responsible in reporting the potential problem, and that other manufacturers should follow suite. I also believe that Toyota is being extremely professional and not throwing blame onto another company when they very easily could. I think they are trying to save face for a company that does a lot of work for a number of different clients including the federal government.

John Peck

January 24, 2010 9:55 AM

Leave it to the media to scare the hell out of everybody.

Toyota has millions of cars on the road in every country, a recall here and a recall there shows the companies dedication to it's product, and the safety of its customers. Sure, its annoying, but problems can be fixed.

The only ones who lose here are Toyota, and that's through a hit in the wallet, and a black eye from the media.

So keep buying your Toyota's and Honda's people... but don't buy Chrysler!

Guillermo Mesias

January 24, 2010 10:56 AM

I have no clue why my Toyota Sienna van 2003 is showing a blinking of the seat belt at the rear passenger on my dashboard. And the sliding door on the passenger side is making some squeaking tiny noise while I am driving on a freeway. Is this a warning of some sort that my sliding door might just fall off? Can someone help me on this two issues please? Thanks

Guillermo Mesias

January 24, 2010 10:58 AM

I have no clue why my Toyota Sienna van 2003 is showing a blinking of the seat belt at the rear passenger on my dashboard. Even when everybody in the van already clicked their seat belt on. And the sliding door on the passenger side is making some squeaking tiny noise while I am driving on a freeway. Is this a warning of some sort that my sliding door might just fall off? Can someone help me on this two issues please? Thanks

Cameron McNaughton

January 24, 2010 11:32 AM

The Toyota brand is anchored solely by "quality." These recalls are an absolute assault on Toyota's brand equity. Obviously they need to fix the product issues and handle the recalls appropriately with their customers but what are the marketing guys doing to help? Not using marketing to help the company through this rough patch is a missed opportunity to defend the Toyota brand.

Cameron McNaughton
McNaughton Automotive Perspectives

John

January 24, 2010 12:44 PM

If the gas pedal gets stuck, use some common sense and try putting the car in neutral and using the brakes. Panicking and screaming is not going to solve anything...

Toyota is a leading edge car company with a long standing record of durable cars which require minimal maintenance, hybrids may be the exception but if you want bleeding edge you should expect some issues. Never buy the first or second generation of anything until it is proven and you can find out what has happened to those vehicles.

monica

January 24, 2010 1:07 PM

i called the dealership they cant even get the car in until mid feb. and they stated that they cant even fix it at this time they dont know whats wrong. where i just bought my 2009 camary 6 months ago i thought it was only due to my driving habits and not being use to the car. i have the car speeding forward and didnt know why

sreenivb

January 24, 2010 2:45 PM

I using Camry for last 5 years. I spent money so far for maintenance only and no major repairs. Hope this should message from Toyota should not hinder its future progress and should be considered in a positive way.

Thanks.

Jboz

January 24, 2010 2:50 PM

I've been very unhappy about my 2007 Rav4. It only has 32k miles. We've had it in the shop 8 times trying to get a loud vibration fixed that occurs intermittently from the area of the fuel pump / tank. We had to get a shaft in the steering column replaced this week that was going bad.

Mike

January 24, 2010 2:53 PM

Why buy a Toyota when for around the same price you can get a Subaru- a car that has more power, All-Wheel-Drive, and are very reliable. Subaru is also the only car company that saw a sales increase during the past 2 yrs. when all the other automakers were seeing declines.

Gene

January 24, 2010 2:58 PM

Ford has become a leader and huge competitor in the automobile landscape again because it used old Detroit attitude of wanting Americans to buy a new car every 2 to 3 years but instead decided to create amazingly new reliable vehicles during that same time so you wanted a new car instead of needed a new car. This is also helping with resale because Americans now want the old and new. GO FORD. The Sleeping American King is awake, all others bow down.

steven

January 24, 2010 3:00 PM

This recall doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm still a Toyota fan. And it shows that they stand behind and care about their products. Can't say the same for American cars.

Long live TOYOTA!!!!

nena

January 24, 2010 3:03 PM

This is just a small issue compared to american car issues. I have owened two toyotas so far and will will continue buying them. This is no big deal

nena

January 24, 2010 3:03 PM

scott lamadeleine

January 24, 2010 3:25 PM

i have owned 5 toyots now. 4 of them i bought new and of one of the 4 i put 425,000 miles on it and sold it 5 years ago and it is still running today. never did anything to it other than to replace a timing chain and routine maintanence. i would and will keep buying toyota's. as a matter of fact i am going to buy #6 in may. great job toyota

owl_collector

January 24, 2010 4:33 PM

HAHAHA! This is great news! All of you sheeple that believed for years toyotas hondas etc were better than American cars...well looks like you were wrong! I have owned several American cars would never think of owning a piece of Japanese or Korean junk...that is why our economy is in deep sh*t you people dont even care enough about your own country to buy American...

TG

January 24, 2010 8:07 PM

We are talking about an accelerator pedal not engines and transmissions that fail after 2 years... I have a 2000 Toyota Camry with 414,000 miles and nothing except general maintenance...I run 25 Toyota trucks in my fleet and the same result...Had GM and Ford and they spent more time in the shop, than on the road. That is our country we rather believe in fluff than substance any day.....

Michael

January 24, 2010 8:54 PM

We own a 1999 Rav4 and we have had the same problem for awhile now. Haven't figured out how to fix it.

Waitaminute

January 24, 2010 10:44 PM

Toyota may be a lot of things, but junk isn't one of them

warren

January 24, 2010 10:51 PM

We as a Nation better wake up and wake up fast. I have been a mechanic for over 25yrs and i have yet to see or ride in a toyota that rides, handle or is safe. Most of the toyotas and honda are so unsafe on wet or even dry roads and we american fall for anything they tell us. Go and drive and compare car for car and see which one is better and stop all the mess about the Japs making a better car when most of there ideal and technologies come from the US auto makers. If we r not careful or kids and grand kids with not make it in this world. There was a time when USA stood for something and we stuck by our own and now it has gone so far left that these companies that gave so much for colledges and school and traning can't do it any longer. All of the Japaneese companies send 100% percent of profits back to there country so that there economics won't fall and our companies that are over there have to spend 25% of there supplier to keep them going strong, Wake up America, Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!

Nik

January 25, 2010 12:17 AM

are the recalling the scion tc as well?? because i was going to buy one

unbiased

January 25, 2010 3:26 AM

I think that Toyota's decision to institute the electronic, computer driven throttle control was a terrible one. Ford and GM still, mostly don't use this, though it was supposed to be to save gas (1-2mpg). Why is that? I guess now you know. Furthermore, if this feature is saving 1-2mpg, and Detroit doesn't yet use it, then don't you all think that they are doing pretty good in getting the mileage they are w/old, proven "cable" tech? Also, how could Toyo possible not have know about this when they are recalling all Avalons since 2005. I've investigated the blogs following the news stories on the internet, and I see a LOT,--A LOT-- of accounts of this DEADLY defect having been going on for a LONG time!

Personally, I think Toyo has fallen a long way since about 2003/4. That was the best camry ever built (opinion). My brother has a Tundra that doesn't get the "Advertised" mpg, as does a friend of mine w/a hybrid that doesn't even come remotely close to advertised! It is about 5+ shy of ratings no matter how she drives it!

My own mpg experiences w/chevy & ford have shown that they ALWAYS get at LEAST the mpg that they advertise! I can drive my impala 75-80mph, and still get 24-26mpg highway! Thats good enough for me. In fairness, I've replaced parts on these cars, but they are cheap compared to import parts, as I used to sell auto parts for a living. Acura parts are incredibly expensive!

SUMMARY: Toyo used to do better, but this last crisis is truly dangerous, unlike the "rollover" thing that was mentioned earlier. I was looking hard at a new Avalon, but now I've written that off totally. I would advise anyone who is looking at a Toyota from 2005+ to just Google it, like: "2007 Toyota camry problems"....always include the year and model of the vehicle. Open lots of links and blogs. You just might be very surprised at what you read !

Ignoring India was a fatal mistake

January 25, 2010 6:34 AM

Toyota should have got in at the first chance. But, even after ages they are struggling to put in a low-cost car in the fastest growing market. The Altios is, by no means, revolutionary nor cheap and, Toyota will pay dearly.
WAKE UP TOYOTA.

Ignoring India was a mistake

January 25, 2010 6:40 AM

Does Toyota have an explanation for not having a cheap car in India? This market is growing at double digits. GM's Beat has competitors scared and is giving a good fight. I'm bullish on GM not Toyota.

Will Toyota ever do anything smart?

rib4937

January 25, 2010 1:27 PM

THOSE SOB'S ARRE LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH. I HAD ONE OF THE LEXUS VEHICLES THAT INDEED DID HAVE UNINTENDED ACCELERATION PROBLEMS. TOYOTA DENIED THE PROBLEM. I ALMOST HAD A FEW WRECKS, BUT WAS QUICK ENOUGH TO AVOID THEM. I HAD TO GET RID OF THE CAR AND TOOK QUITE A LOSS ON IT. I BROUGHT ANOTHER LEXUS BUT WITH A TOTALLY DIFFERENT COMPUTER, WIRING SYSTEM AND ELECTRONIC ACCELERATION SYSTEM. THE NEW VEHICLE WORKS TOTALLY FINE. NEVER A GLITCH.I
CONTACTED THE GOVERNMENT AND WROTE THE NHTSA. THEY SIDELINED ME AS I THEY HAD VERY FEW OTHER COMPLAINTS AT THE TIME. I ALSO WENT TO THE TEXAS LEMON LAW COURT...BUT SINCE THE PROBLEM WAS ONLY PREVALENT WITH CHANGES IN THE WEATHER AND HUMIDITY, IT DID NOT DO IT ALL OF THE TIME. OF THE TEST DRIVE WITH THE JUDGE.

YOU ARE FREE TO CONTACT ME AT ANYTIME IF YOU WANT TO HEAR THE STORY. MY PHONE IS 713-270-4596. IT MAY HELP YOU IN ANY COURT ACTION......AND I'M RETIRED AND HAVE PLENTY OF FREE TIME.

I'D LOVE TO GET BACK AT THOSE LYING SOB'S AT TOYOTA.

ROBERT BOWERS

Drew

January 25, 2010 8:29 PM

2005 Prius. ABS brake valve failure. Dealer quoted $2600 repair. Got used valve installed for $770. Now have issue
with check engine lite/codes; show coolant valve failure and/or flow probs.
Read it is very expensive fix as well. This started at time of brake valve fail
Will not buy another Toyota product. Too
costly to repair and break like all others. Not worth cost to maintain.

Andy

January 26, 2010 2:46 AM

While Toyota says the condition is rare, when it occurs it presents in worn pedal mechanisms that become harder to depress and slower to return, potentially becoming stuck in the depressed position. With the throttle then stuck wide open, the car can continue to accelerate even while braking!

Toyota advises drivers experiencing a stuck accelerator pedal to apply the brakes steadily and firmly, and to shut off the engine at the nearest safe location.

And another of My 2000 Toyota Avalon has fallen ill to the "Toyota oil sludge" problem, despite dutifully maintaining and servicing the vehicle.

WHat's happening with this company. My friends already call me stupid for buying cars from Japan!

--------
Andy hgh

THOMAS

January 27, 2010 6:45 PM

I am a fourteen year Toyota tech and can say not until Toyota was forced to start using suppliers from here in the states did Toyota start having the troubles they are having.Poor U.S. quality from U.S. MADE IN AMERICA COMPANIES.Before 1995 Toyota had an excellent quality rating then thats when all the problems occured.I can assure you any part not made here in America and thats on any Toyota never fails,so what I am saying is the U.S. work force has done it again,poor quality like they did it to GM,FORD AND CHRYSLER,and caused them to go to crap,not it is happening to Toyota,its no wonder alot of these big companies are outsourcing their work.Wake up American workers start taking pride in your work.

Charlene Blake

January 27, 2010 8:46 PM

Toyota has said for a DECADE that Toyota ENGINE OIL SLUDGE (or GEL as it calls it) is caused by owner neglect. This company REFUSES to believe that there is an inherent problem in the engine!

Read the online petition that has over 3,000 signatories to see what is happening. This company is NOT honoring it own program which it touted as "unprecedented and generous."

Are we to believe that Toyota has suddenly gained a conscience after a DECADE of lying to Toyota owners?

Don't fall for it...Toyota is once again attempting to manipulate public opinion about it, IMO. I am far from alone in this belief.

Toyota engine oil sludge is alive and well in the later model Toyotas, too. This problem along with the ABS/brake failures (in light rain and snow, particularly), wearing tires, sticking sliding doors, emissions-control problems, failed transmissions, engine fires, and more paints a very different picture of Toyota than the one in all the Toyota ads.

See the new Toyota ad...the one that claims that Toyota is with the customer in good times and bad? Well, after a decade following the engine sludge or gel problem, I can advise that you shouldn't hold your breath in getting relief for your major issue.

Charlene Blake
charleneblake@cox.net

Toyota Owners Unite for Resolution: Engine Oil Sludge

YouTube video on Toyota Sludge

Toyota Oil Gel dot com

UC2blogspot dot com

mylexusisdefective dot com

Need more information? E-mail toyotaoilgel@cox.net

Lisa

January 27, 2010 10:07 PM

I own a 2009 Camry and previously owned a 1996 Camry. I love my car and believe that the Toyota Corporation admits faults to fix them (unlike many other companies). Even with this issue, I would never purchase a car from a different company. As far as the American comments go, why don't the companies listen to what consumers want and then make vehicles based on consumer wants? Sounds like a no brainer to me! Also most of the newer Toyotas are made in America! Take your McCarthyism comments and shove them!

Parris Boyd

January 27, 2010 11:49 PM

Toyota is one lousy company and its way past time for them to get exposed. I have a blog that discusses many of the issues and gives links to articles, other blogs by irrate Toyota consumers, and an online petition signed by OVER THREE THOUSAND Toyota customers:

Karl

January 28, 2010 7:11 AM

I wonder if "SLUDGE POEM 2" had anything to do with what's currently happening regarding the Toyota recall? Anyone can 'Google' this- SLUDGE POEM 2, and read it. That poem was posted in October of 2007!

No Name

January 28, 2010 8:53 AM

If you all think that Toyota doesn't withold important safety defects from the American consumer you are all sadly mistaken. After working for Toyota and Lexus for the last 10 years as a Service Director, I can assure you that they keep this information very hush hush just like every other car manufacturer.

This defect in the accelerator pedal is not new. As someone stated above it has indeed been going on for some time now. It was present in the early 2000 and up LS models that incorporated the drive-by-wire system. Many cars I personally saw came into the body shop after being in accidents from sticking pedals were intercepted by Lexus staff immediately. Lexus actually had a protocol set up that stated that if a customer claimed that there was a defect in the car that caused the crash, we were not even allowed to write the customer up/speak to the customer about the claim/or basically do anything but call Lexus and have them come out. They would come out and take pre-crash data from the cars computer (yes, it does store this information) and then speak to the customer themselves denying any liability whatsoever.

I have seen this happen countless times on both the Toyota and Lexus side. Yes, Toyota "did" have exceptional quality - but that was when they were manufactured in Japan. Since they have been manufactured in the US/Mexico or Canada they have slipped on quality. We used to always tell people to make sure they bought a Toyota with a VIN starting in "J" as these were better quality. Even those modeals have slipped though over the years. They have simply grown too big too fast.

Don't fool yourselves though. Toyota/Lexus hides things from consumers just like all the rest. They just do a better job of making themselves "look" better with "voluntary recalls" before the government makes them. They know that they will have to do it inevitably, so why not get some positive press from it claiming to be "proactive".

The car manufacturer to watch is Ford. They have surprisingly high quality and are very advanced in alot of their technology. I worked for Ford for 2 years too. And GM, and Hyundai, and . . . well, you get the picture. After over 25 years in the car business I am finally done. I now just sit on the sidelines and watch the game, and a game it is! Seeing people getting all riled up about their cars cracks me up. When was the last time you got fired up about your kids or their school? People put more effort and time into buying a car than they do in attending their children's school activities, or better yet just spending time with their kids/family. A car is just that, a car. Sure I like to get the most for my money, that is why I don't buy new cars though. I buy older cars because they are cheaper and fix them up and drive the wheels off them! Yes I have Toyota/Lexus products, but I also have Chevy products too. I buy the older stuff and fix them myself. Then I don't get stuck paying the dealers' overpriced labor for what they claim as "factory certified technicians". Oh yeah, for the most part that is a joke too. By Toyota policy they are only required to have a certain percentage of their technician staff "certified". So most dealers work the system and list the majority of their staff as oil changers so they don't get thrown into the mix of normal staff thus raising the percentages. So, out of a shop with 16 techs - only 4 will be certified. The rest have no experience working on cars, and these are the ones working on YOUR car. They are no more talented in working on your car as my my 10 year old is!

I believe that someone above said it correctly though. You want to solve the US economy problem, then buy American. And I don't mean an American made Toyota either. Go buy a Ford or host of other American based manufacturers. This doesn't mean we have to turn a blind eye to quality. You still have to hold then to the same standards, but threatening to buy an import is not going to help. That is what got us into this mess. Well, that and the greedy American worker. Yes, I was one too. I have learned to live on less now and am very happy with that. I would rather charge less to a customer and deliver better quality and keep that loyalty than to lose a customer to some inferior product/service. Guess it all goes back to pride in your work. Somewhere we all got off track and decided that our pride was worth more money?

Sorry for the rant, just voicing my experience of 25+ years in this horrible business. I see now that it was still, just a car - a means of getting from point "A" to point "B". Which by the way, I have more fun getting there on my bicycle - made in the USA of course!

Navin

January 28, 2010 12:20 PM

Well, This is a good move TOYOTA. Finally Management agrees!

cocoya hernandez

January 28, 2010 2:00 PM

i got 2007 toyota crew cab, never had any issues i love my tundra.
i will buy another toyota if i ever trade my truck!!!

Karl

January 29, 2010 11:32 AM

I agree with No Name, who posted a comment on January 28th 2010 at 8:53 AM. Believe it or not, I faxed information to Toyota's CEO in California back in 2005 regarding the way Wall Street operates, and it all came true! Anyone can 'Google' this- RIP OFF REPORT FUEL FREEDOM INTERNATIONAL MPG CAPS, and go to the 2001 Toyota Tacoma Ripoff Report, then to the 'Update' entitled- "Blame it on a Lawyer" and read part of what Mr. Funo & Toyota Corporate was sent in a fax.

I have the fax in front of me right now. It was faxed to Toyota Corporate & Mr. Funo on 4-20-2005 at 13:24 hours from a Kinkos on Sheridan. The fax transmission was successful.

Too bad no one at Toyota seemed to care, huh?

Thank You.

DJH

January 29, 2010 3:29 PM

I just had the ECM go out on my car. Since this was over 80,000 Toyota would not take care of the problem. When I called they were clearly aware that this was a problem in Corollas but would do nothing about it. I have a 2005 Toyota, first time owner and will never buy one again. Need less to say it cost me $1620.00 all said and done. Which was 1000 less than what toyota was going to charge. This caused 2 solenoids and the pressure control module to go out. My cars check engine light came on shifted hard and coded P2716. I did not drive this so thank goodness my mechanic said I did not have any transmission damage. Toyota should have taken care of the problem since they already new this was an issue but would not do NOTHING about it.

Karl

January 29, 2010 11:01 PM

*Anyone can 'Google' this- SLUDGE POEM, and read it. Toyota's CEO, Jim Press, quit his position exactly two weeks after that poem was posted about him.

If you 'Google' this- SLUDGE POEM 2, you can read that poem also. It was posted in October of 2007. A little over a year after it was posted about Toyota's President in Japan, Katsuaki Watanbe, he was removed from his position.

And believe it or not, 3 days after a 'Toyota Christmas Song' was posted about Toyota's CEO, he quit! Anyone can 'Google' this- RIP OFF REPORT TOYOTA CHRISTMAS SONG #2, and sing it, right?

"SLUDGE POEM 3" is about Toyota's current President. Anyone can 'Google' this- MASSACHUSETTS ERECTION POEM, and it appears with all the other poems & songs that are posted there.

Antonio Oliveira , Montreal, Quebec

January 30, 2010 5:35 PM

I have seen some comments here that made me realize that there are people that have no clue whatsoever about the problem with Toyota's accelerator pedals.
Phil posted that the problem is with CTS, manufacturer's supplier of the gas pedals. Man, the pedals are made of plastic with some little meattalic brackets, the problem is not the pedal itself, but the cableless and wireless eletronic system of the whole fuel system. When you depress the pedal , there is a solenoid and a little digital sensor that sends eletronic signals to the engine and fuel injectors (also eletronic actuacted). The problem is much more serious that they have told us. Toyota would not put set a recall of almost 8 million vehicles and stop sells (I have never heard of that in the history of car manufacturing) if the problem was just to replace a little plastic with some metal bracket on it, it is a much deeper and more serious malfunction.
A couple of months ago I wanted to buy a Toyota Corolla and during the test drive I noticed this problem with the gas pedal. I even mentioned this to the dealer when I came back to the showroom (I took the drive test alone, they had a copy of driver's license). The guy at the dealership was not concerned about it , he said "I wasn't used to driving a Toyota'", it was a ridiculous remark.
For me the best cars in teh world are Germans of course, BMW, Mercedes-Benz,Porshe and VW are outstanding cars , much more reliable, more sophisticated , more stylished and God damn good looking cars than Japanese boring cars, wow....
I owned a VW Passat , that is an excellent car. I also like Chevy Malibu and Impala. The Corolla that I took for a spin was a boring and fastidous experience , not to mention the problem on the gas pedal. People like japanese cars because of the re-sell value. I dont quite undestand, they cost much more when you buy them in the first place.

Karl

February 2, 2010 7:03 PM

Anyone can 'Google' this- TOYOTA AND GENERAL MOTORS HAVE BEEN NAMED IN A LAWSUIT, and read that article from 2007 about how "defect reports" were allegedly "altered", right? Thank You.

Sudd

February 3, 2010 1:33 AM

I agree with Mr. No Name - regarding how Toyota was trying to hide the "unintended accleration" problem - but at the end just because of the mounting pressure had to come up with some excuse (like blaming CTS pedals) - which is again not the actual cause, but an arrogant endeavor to buy some more time - until there are more accidents and more lawsuits. How will they escape then, if after all the recalls and their "shim" fixes their are more acceleration complaints? I read somewhere that Suzuki was a great brand in 1985 (maximum cars sold in the 1st year of introduction in the US), but just after 4 years in 1989, due to some bad rating in the Consumer reports, it totally vanished from the USA. I believe the same may happen to Toyota if there is any dishonesty on their part regarding this issue.

I used to be an extremely loyal Toyota customer, until the following happened.

I had this 2000 Toyota Camry LE bought new 9 years ago. This car had regular maintenance done at the Toyota dealership. It had approx 79K miles on it.

Last year February it met with an accident. My wife just started driving from our house for her Church, and just four houses down the road, there is a right turn. The residential speed limit is 20 mph. She tried to turn right, but the brake did not work. She pumped the brakes down to the floor board several times, but there was no response. In the police report later, the first thing she said was that "the brakes failed to work inspite of repeated tries". She rammed into a house garage door and its structure, on the opposite side of the road. The damage at the center of the vehicle was so severe that the body-shop estimated the repair cost to be approximately 12K. The car was declared a total-loss by the insurance company. My wife had a small fracture in the little toe.

Now after seeing the news of the sudden acceleration issues, she feels very confident that hers was an identical case. Now thinking back and remembering the severity of damage to the car, we feel it did accelerate a lot. (we have pictures of the damaged car taken at the body shop). We also feel that her impression that the brakes were jammed, could have been actually a sudden unintended accleration. We did report the above to Toyota. After a few days we got a letter from them saying that they inspected the vehicle but no defects were found. (this is exactly as Mr. No Name described - the tendency to hide even if something is found).

Nicole H

February 4, 2010 5:22 PM

I love Toyota and Honda

kaylia jones

February 7, 2010 3:43 PM

dis is really bad feelin srry

To Bad for Me

February 11, 2010 5:37 AM

Wow, this is to crazy. On 11/23 I purchased a brand new 2010 Toyota Tundra because everybody said they are the best and I noticed the resell cost for used Toyota vehicles that made me purchase a Toyota. Well, well, well what the hell. Can I sue the Toyota dealership for not disclosing this defect information to me at that time? I want them to buy my truck back.

michael stevens

October 4, 2010 5:39 PM

Toyota used to be a good car company they have fallen to cheap parts ect.. Im a ex tech for toyota an can say the pedal recall have fun with your cut down pedal thats all we did cut an sand and paint.Their junk.Ive never seen so many cars come in a flatbed truck in all my years as a mechanic.I would never buy nor tell someone to buy one.OO an the corollas have that ecu problem toyota knew about it but never wanted to tell the public yet when i was working their.

Roger

November 28, 2010 2:36 AM

I don’t have any first-hand knowledge of this problem. In fact, I have never owned, and will never own a Toyota, at least as long as my brother remains a Ford dealer.

But, I have read a lot about this problem, and I’m not sure that Toyota has addressed all Toyota drivers’ concerns with their proposed fix. Many Toyota owners and some safety experts seem to think that this throttle sticking/acceleration problem may be software related rather than mechanical.

As I understand it, the previous Toyota recall for this problem did involve a software change, so that acceleration would be automatically cut off by the car’s computer whenever the brake was engaged. However, that software fix is not mentioned in this latest recall.

Toyota must be very careful how they handle this problem. They need to address the problem fully, completely and with complete transparency. Otherwise, they could suffer problems similar to what Ford did in the Explorer/Firestone debacle. That is, they run the risk of being seen as caring more about their bottom line than they do about their customers’ lives.