Toyota suspends sale of eight models.

Posted by: David Welch on January 26, 2010

Toyota’s image problems just keep getting worse. Toyota said today that it will suspend sales of the eight models that the company stated it would recall on Jan. 21 due to isolated incidents of a sticking accelerator pedal. A recall is one thing, but when a company decides to stop selling the cars, it’s quite another. Bob Carter, Toyota division general manager and a group vice president of Toyota Motor Sales USA, said in a statement that the company wanted to stop sales until a remedy is found.

Recall that on Jan. 21, Toyota said it would recall 2.3 million vehicles that could potentially have a problem. They are the 2009 through 2010 RAV4, 2009 through 2010 Corolla, 2009 through 2010 Matrix, 2005 through 2010 Avalon, some 2007 through 2010 Camry models, 2010 Highlander, 2007 through 2010 Tundra and the 2008 through 2010 Sequoia.

Toyota is being very cautious, which is the smart thing to do. Some vehicle owners have alleged that the sticking accelerator pedals have caused accidents, some fatal. So Toyota needs to do this to prevent any more accidents from happening.

Sooner or later, Toyota will engineer a fix. And Toyota is handling it the right way. Edmunds.com CEO Jeremy Anwyl likened the move to Tylenol’s decision to yank its products from the shelves. “I imagine that in this situation, Toyota eventually had the same decision-making thought process: realizing that the company has to get ahead of the problem,” Anwyl said. “Toyota needed to send a clear message they care more about their customers than monthly profits. And they are.”

True, but doing damage control for its once bulletproof quality image will be much more difficult. Add in the big recalls that Toyota has had in recent years and its image as a quality leader is taking another hit. That list of models, by the way, contains Toyota’s two top sellers in the U.S. in the Camry and Corolla. Toyota sold 650,000 of the two models combined last year. That’s a lot of customers who have a reason to question Toyota’s cars.

Phil Davis

January 26, 2010 7:10 PM

After this maybe people will return to buying Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

Daniel Butler

January 26, 2010 7:12 PM

I need to have my car checked out ASAP i just bought this Car for my Wife because its supposed to be safe. Its a 2007 Camry LE, i need a recall letter ASAP, this needs looked at quick because thats the only ride she has and she is expecting soon... please help me get a recall letter!!!

big boy

January 26, 2010 7:15 PM

yota product line is over rated junk.

Jim Rogers

January 26, 2010 7:20 PM

I have a 2010 Camry with 2700 miles on it.
If Toyota is suspending sales they must think them unsafe to drive. There is no
comment on what current owners should do.
I would like to turn in my Camry and get something else. Maybe they should buy back the faulty vehicles??

big boy

January 26, 2010 7:21 PM

yota product line is over rated boring junk.

l greco

January 26, 2010 7:25 PM

I purchased a 2007 CAMRY LE HYBRID 3 YRS AGO, NEW. IS THIS VEHICLE BEING RECALLED FOR POSSIBLE ACCELERATOR PEDAL DEFECT?
THANKS,
LOU GRECO

Commie Stooge

January 26, 2010 7:31 PM

In October 2009 I traded in my 1999 Dodge Neon for a 2007 Toyota Camry because I was tired of driving a subcompact and wanted a larger car.
Little did I know that I was buying into one of the greatest auto stories of the last decade.
With the floor mats of the Camry held by clips; I believe this is a software problem.

GM, Chrysler and now TOYOTA ?

January 26, 2010 7:35 PM

If they have been utilizing these parts since 2005, they had to know before now that there were problems. I wonder what really caused them to take such drastic actions.

Just a scant five years and how many millions of vehicles for them to "notice" something might be wrong. Where is our Government? Aren't they supposed to protect us from the Transportation Safety concerns?

Heather

January 26, 2010 7:35 PM

I think that Toyota is doing the right thing by stepping up and trying to fix this problem. Other companies like Ford, GM, and Chrysler have hid certain potential dangers with their vehicles from consumers. With that being said this is only a small dent in the Toyota industry in my eyes. In the long run it will have no bearing on the quality and reputation of the Toyota products. True Toyota owners will back up the company as well. The media just needs something to latch on for the day/week/month.

Cherie Leger

January 26, 2010 7:37 PM

I have a 2009 Camry. Do I need to wait to receive a recall notification in the mail before I take it in to my local dealer to have it looked at?

Peggy Hoefl

January 26, 2010 7:49 PM

Great idea but it isn't the gas pedal and it wasn't the floor mats. They have a bigger problem than this! I had three episodes in my Toyota Tacoma and it was none of these! It is something to do with the computer, a sensor, or something. The gas pedal does nothing when it happens. It doesn't stick. The vehicle just accelerates!

Mathew Varughese

January 26, 2010 8:09 PM

I bought a 2010 Camry from Nalley Toyota, Roswell, Georgia. Please let me know what I have to do with that.
Thanks
Mathew

scott

January 26, 2010 9:11 PM

so what are we suppose to do? drive anyway? roll the dice? would toyota consider putting its customers into another car which isn't being recalled?
what should we do?

Parnelli Jones

January 26, 2010 10:08 PM

The Toyota emergency stop does not activate for 3 seconds. The stopping distance delay is the length of a football field at 60 mph. Toyota engineers give new meaning to "Driving While Asian." Some days it does not stop at all.

Timothy D. Naegele

January 26, 2010 10:16 PM

BigDually

January 26, 2010 10:33 PM

C'Mon ... This isnt front page news? One mistep by GM/Ford/Chrysler and the drums are beating ... This is the way to handle it? After flubbing through the scandal, (and it is a scandal) in a manner more devious than John Edwards?

Madge Mckee

January 27, 2010 12:00 AM

I have a 20l0 Camry, which needs a new gas paddle. It has stuck before.

When are they going to fix our cars?

Sri Ganesh

January 27, 2010 12:15 AM

Is this a worldwide recall or only in the US?

dave

January 27, 2010 6:51 AM

These are the same models that Consumer Reports always rates as extremely reliable, year after year. I've often said that CR was biased, and their disregard for all of the major recalls and defects of Toyotas, is blatant proof.

ed

January 27, 2010 8:11 AM

First it was the mats(rediculus), now its the pedal linkage(possible), it it too expensive to look at the micro-chip controls?

Mark Hofeld

January 27, 2010 8:28 AM

I have had many Toyotas with a lot of miles on them. I am not sure what the problem is with the involved models, but what I do know is that overall Toyota maked incredibly good products. Which American car company would EVER institute a recall of this nature JUST to be safe? As far as Consumer Reports ratings, I have found them to be VERY accurate. Long run Toyota will fix this problem and continue making GREAT CARS.

Mike

January 27, 2010 9:29 AM

The company has a huge track record, i think they are at least trying to be responsible. Let's keep this intelligent guys "yota product line is over rated junk". Consumer Reports does include major recalls, this issue is so "new" that it has not been included in it's testing. They also mostly test on reliability. Interesting how they narrowed it down to only a select manufacturer locations???

Gabriella Trubridge

January 27, 2010 10:47 AM

I bought a 2010 Camry 3 weeks ago from Beaman Toyota Nashville TN, it only as 628 miles on it, I spoke to Toyota last week they said they have not solution to call back in a week, the dealer last week would not even admin there is a problem, I would like to return my car back to Toyota, think they would take it?

Abhi

January 27, 2010 12:01 PM

How about Microsoft selling defective software and then releasing the patches later on. Who will pay for the damamges that their software is doing to the business in form of man hours lost. Its understandable that it wont cause any fatal accidents but again somebody is selling stuff which is having defects.

katy

January 27, 2010 12:22 PM

Name me and automaker who hasn't had a recall. I currently own a TOYOTA and haul 3 children. I love my TOYOTA and will own more in the future. With all the Americans in todays economy without jobs and with all the manufacturing companies toyota has in the US why would anyone want them to fail? Do the math if they fail look at all the American people that would be without a job or insurance. Makes more sense to succeed than fail all the way around

airbusrider

January 27, 2010 12:28 PM

Consumer Reports uses surveys to rate cars. As far as I know, they do not use manufacturers warranty or repair data or disassemble the cars to review the engineering. If you want to stake a car's reputation on a survey, then go ahead. As for me, I'd rather talk to mechanics and see which cars are the most reliable and the easiest and least expensive to repair. One timing belt replacement (maintenance) in a Japanese car can pay for a lot of repairs on another brand.

Not an Engineer

January 27, 2010 12:54 PM

I am not an engineer but since some have complained that the runaway cars respond to the brakes by speeding up, is it possible that someone may have planted a ocmputer virus that is being filtered down into all the cars computers??? I know it sounds crazy but these are the times that we live in.

Not an Engineer

January 27, 2010 12:54 PM

Jeff B

January 27, 2010 1:22 PM

Here are some other aspects of this story you will not see in the popular press, but which are central to an understanding of the problem:
1. This is a "design & engineering" problem -- not a "quality" problem. The incident will certainly affect Toyota's image, but we should be clear about what the issue is.
2. There is no car in the world which has an engine more powerful than it's brakes. In other words, if the throttle (gas pedal) on your car (any car) sticks fully open, all you have to do is hit the brakes hard, and you will slow down & stop immediately. This was learned during the CBS hatchet-job investigation on the Audi 5000 years ago. That doesn't mean that stuck throttles are okay, but I would hope the media would try to help consumers deal with this situation by letting everyone know that all you have to do is hit your brakes.

WALLACE

January 27, 2010 3:54 PM

If I bought a Corolla yesterday??? Can I return it today?

steve

January 27, 2010 4:19 PM

Buy a GM

LOUIS MELO

January 27, 2010 6:55 PM

My 2008 Avalon sometimes just go about 20 MPH at a iddle gas pedal. I have to break or it will go by itself. I dont want this car anymore.

Michael F

January 27, 2010 6:56 PM

I've had a 2007 Camry V6 XLE from new; now at 38,000 miles. Neither the gas pedal nor the transmission (for which it was cited) has given me any problems. Not every car, evidently, is a wreck waiting to happen. No, Toyota is not obligated to return your money; they are obligated to isolate, identify and solve the problem at their cost, and compensate persons who fall victim to the fault. They will bounce back. Meanwhile, we should all practice, for a week, throwing our vehicles into neutral and jamming on our brakes. Maybe if the push-button owners fail to switch off the engines, they might at least get new engines when their old ones red-line and go bust!

mahendra macwan

January 27, 2010 7:12 PM

I purchased Toyotta Carolla 2008,considering one of the best car. Today i came to know that carolla has gas paddling problem, and many lost their life in accidents.
Today I visited the show room and they said 2008 carolla has no problem.
Incase if any such problem occurs,and in an accident anything happens who is responsible?I want answer from the TOYOTTA.

Johnnie

January 27, 2010 7:21 PM

To
Peggy Hoefl
Gas pedal is not sticking, since vehicles are drive by wire, the acceleration is measured by a sensor, most likely a potentiometer, if it fails, it will send a throttle signal to the TB, and the vehicle will accelerate.

JULIO VICTORIA

January 27, 2010 7:26 PM

HI, MY NAMES IS JULIO VICTORIA , FATHER OF TWO KID'S AND OWNER OF A 2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA WISH I PAID CLOSE TO $40K FOR IT AND I M NOT LONGER FEEL SAFE PUTTING MY KID'S IN IT. TOMORROW THAT TRUCK IS GOING BACK TO WHERE I GOT IT FROM, IF ALL RENTAL COMPANY TOOK ALL THEIR TOYOTA'S INVENTORY BECAUSE OF THEIR CUSTOMER SAFETY, HOW CAN I KEEP DRIVING MY FAMILY IN THIS TRUCK????? IT IS NOT HAPPENING.....

JRH

January 27, 2010 8:31 PM

Well Mark Hofeld....GM was the American Company who did more than that for less....I built Saturns for 17 years and in our first year we had a radiator fluid problem..Our Supplier put a corrosive into the fluid they sent to our plant...We either PURCHASED or built a NEW vehicle for our customers for 100% of the affected vehicles, and then crushed every single one of the affected vehicles...So none of them could end up being salvaged from a salvage yard and ending up on the street at a later date....Let's see how Toyota reacts to letting their customers continue to drive dangerous vehicles while they are trying to find a fix.

EON THOMAS

January 28, 2010 2:10 PM

I honestly think that as much as Jeff B is trying to express concern the true issue here is not to have one drive a vehicle that has safety issues that endanger one's Life. This is a Quality Problem. Maybe we need to remember that this is the same Manufacturer who had a sludge problem a few years ago. So is it Quality or not? This is the time to look at Nissan. The Best Kept secret for a Long Time.

Consistant

January 28, 2010 4:49 PM

Yes it seems toyota,s quality is consistant ,their fork lifts "used " to be classed as the best forklift not anymore ,too many problems to list

Consistant

January 28, 2010 4:49 PM

Steve

January 28, 2010 8:16 PM

Toyota will be the second General Motors. Things could be a lot worse, as the north american market is their biggest market, while he is not a U.S.-based brand, he would be having quite a hard time, the very opposite experience from what he had.

Johnnie

January 28, 2010 8:20 PM

Jeff B

I agree, theres not a single car, with an engine more powerfull than it's brakes, but if you are cruiseng at certain speed, en your gas pedal gets stucked, the car will certainly exted its braking point, and even worse, the brakes can and will fade under that kind of abuse.

Steve

January 28, 2010 8:20 PM

j bantum

January 28, 2010 10:30 PM

I own a 2009 Toyota Corolla bought it brand new before '09 even came in.I love that car so much I named her Lola.Never no problem.Justa little fast.Icalled the dealer they said not to bring it in unless I get a recall letter.Iwill continue to drive and pray to God as I do anyway even before the recall.

COnfused

January 28, 2010 10:49 PM

I called Toyota manufacturing company today. I have purchased a 2010 highlander a week ago. I told him that i was concerned and he wanted my vin number for the vehicle. After I gave it to him he said that if your vin number starts with JT then that means they where made in Japan and not in North America. If they where made in japan and started with JT then they where supposed to be O.K. How come there was no mention of this on the news then? Is the guys lying to me ???

K

January 29, 2010 1:14 PM

Gee how everyone forgets about all the FORD, and Chevy recalls over the years.

Jeff B

January 29, 2010 1:45 PM

My earlier comments were intended to point out that, while this is a serious situation, it is NOT a reason for owners of Toyotas to panic. (I have never owned one, and I have no financial interest in the company). The media once again throws gasoline on the fire, and leads people to believe their Toyotas will suddenly race out of control and kill their families, and there is nothing you can do about it. That CAN NOT HAPPEN if you simply apply firm pressure on the brake, if the engine starts to race. Yes, it may take a little longer to stop if the engine is revving high, but not much. All of the people ready to give their cars back ought to think twice.

J.C.

January 29, 2010 7:15 PM

Please do not panic, Toyota is known for quality and safety! You guys who are ready to bash Toyota probably ride bicycles and can't afford a Toyota even though they make the best and most safest and affordable car in north america. Look at the big 3; GM,Ford and Chrysler and see how many recalls in the past 10 years they've had.Toyota is the only company that did not lay off their employees when this recession started. Where are the big 3 (Frd,Chv,Chry) employees now!! Probably working for Toyota because their copanies let them down. Thank God for Toyota! You people who want to return your Toyota's,don't make that mistake. Do you want to give your money to a car company that lined their pockets first and customers second? I don't think so! Toyota, Moving Forward!!!!!

Rick G

January 30, 2010 1:27 AM

Suprisingly Ive had NO problems with my 2007 toyota tundra. it has 49K on it. The recalle for most toyotas was with the rubber ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS. not the stock carpet mats. but seriously chill..... you guys buy toyotas because they run for along time. not bc something stupid happens. FORD GM and Chrysler have all had there share of recalls GOD FORBID toyota have one.. GEEEEEZ....

Toyota employee

January 30, 2010 3:52 AM

I work at a toyota dealership and it is correct that there are specific models that MAY be affected. If your VIN starts with JT, your vehicle is fine. Also, there have been NO deaths contributed to this problem. They are very close to a different design, you will receive a letter when the dealerships receive the parts to replace the defective ones. The gas peddle sticking is RARE and happens gradually (you will not all of a sudden accelerate if you had no problems prior), so there is no need to panic. The media has misinformed people. I URGE EVERYONE TO READ THE CORRECT INFORMATION at www.toyota.com, click on the recall info box in the bottom left corner. I also own a 2009 Camry, which IS affected by this recall, have two small children and feel 100% safe in my vehicle. I apologize if your dealerships had no idea what was going on at first. We were not told of the recall until AFTER it was announced to the news. We are working hard to keep our customers satisfied!

Karl

January 30, 2010 11:48 AM

Does anyone know which Lexus models are being recalled? If you 'Google' this- MY LEXUS IS DEFECTIVE, you can watch both videos that are available. The crash, that's shown in that video, was a Lexus, right? And didn't one of the Toyota owners in that video have a Prius? Are all of the Prius models being recalled? Thank You.

Karl

January 31, 2010 11:04 AM

Toyota (and their Ad Agency) were able to MANIPULATE the minds of the American consumer (many of them) into believing that Toyota/Lexus vehicles are quality vehicles, when in fact they're no better than the rest of the cars & trucks being made here, & in Japan, or anywhere else. It just proves how powerful TV advertising can be, huh? Guess what? The videos available on the web don't lie, right? Anyone can 'Google' this- MY LEXUS IS DEFECTIVE, and watch the videos that are available if they'd like, correct? Thank You.

John B

January 31, 2010 9:07 PM

Actually there is a chance that it could race out of control just like there is a chance that someones pit bull might attack your kid. Whether or not the brakes can stop the car depends on the speed and condition of the brake pads and also the distance needed to stop might be more than what is needed to avoid an accident. Furthermore some roads don't permit pulling off on a shoulder and so riding the brakes is still not a smart option. It's a lot smarter to avoid the whole situation altogether by not owning a Toyota or trading it in. If you look at the defects per thousand per model you would see the difference between Toyota and a other brands is very minute and therefore potentially putting you and other peoples lives in danger is not a very wise proposition given the options. Also Toyota is behind Hyundai and Honda respectively in gas mileage across the board.

EMC

February 1, 2010 10:32 PM

Toyota..the evil Japanese company. Right.

Funny that no one mentions in this press frenzy that the cars that were affected were the ones MADE in the USA.

Whoops.

When you are pointing a finger at someone, remember that there are 3 fingers pointing right back at you.

EMC

February 1, 2010 10:32 PM

Toyota..the evil Japanese company. Right.

Whoops.

Westernfan

February 2, 2010 4:24 PM

Could any of the newer Toyota customers take advantage of the "Lemon Laws"?

Jeff B

February 2, 2010 5:41 PM

Wow....
"Karl", yes thank goodness you have uncovered the great conspiracy against America by the evil Japanese car companies! What would we do without such informed opinions? Make sure to let Consumer Reports know they have been wrong for the last 30 years about Toyota!
"John B." - No, actually ANY vehicle that has it's brakes in normal condtion, traveling at anywhere near legal highway speeds would easily be able to stop quickly (at least once) if the brakes were applied hard, no matter how much the engine is revving. If the driver panics, that is another matter, but that is user error -- not bad engineering. The media has totally distorted this problem, and no I do not work for Toyota. You could also shift the trans into N or P.

Luis

February 5, 2010 12:27 PM

COnfused
January 28, 2010 10:49 PM
I called Toyota manufacturing company today... and he wanted my vin number for the vehicle...he said that if your vin number starts with JT then that means they where made in Japan and not in North America. If they where made in japan and started with JT then they where supposed to be O.K. How come there was no mention of this on the news then? Is the guys lying to me ???

That's true. Just check question 13 on the Toyota website, Pedal Recall:

Mokys

February 21, 2010 2:08 AM

Some very interesting information here, and a very interesting blog too.

I will have to bookmark this and stop by more often.

thanks

EJ_Houston

February 25, 2010 8:39 PM

Acceleration issues extend back to the 2002 and 2003 Camry's - yet Toyota seems to prefer to "ignore" this fact. Until they do the right thing -- and recall all potential vehicles with the acceleration issues -- they do not deserve any trust; I also suspect that a full recall will likely cost them $10 billion perhaps; and the liability issues could be far higher. Who knows for sure; but I also suspect that this company could be headed for bankruptcy within 12 to 24 months. Business over the next few years may not be profitable; and could lose hundreds of millions, even more perhaps. The liability issues are huge, and likely grossly under-reported. In some cases, because of the company attitude, drivers may also be blaming themselves for problems, even accidents, that were not their fault. We'll see!! But I believe the worst is yet to come - likely far worse than most expect. I also believe this is why Toyota is deliberately stalling -- but lies and obstruction ain't gonna help now. It's too late.

vaestanfors

March 4, 2010 4:03 AM

bit of a joke I think, I drive a whole fleet of toyota's from sedans to buses and not a single toyota has had a problem, also havent seen the sticking accelerator pedal or dodgy cruise control. As far as reliability goes Toyota will out perform any other car maker any time so don't ditch Toyota just yet, they still do make the most reliable cars, trucks and buses on the market. BTW we punish the hilux 4X4 and they just keep working...we even overload them and take them for thousands of kilometres through the desert and still they work. The 2010 Aurion 3.5L V6 easily does 200km/h during an over taking manoeuvre without any fuss. As for the yanky companies, my mate owns a yank tank and it's not very well built...even the koreans would put an American car to shame, we all need to look at how many hundreds of thousands or millions of cars Toyota has sold in the US of A. that I think speaks for itself.