A Chevrolet Camaro for the MBA set

Posted by: David Welch on September 18, 2009

camaro2.jpg

In its day, the Camaro was a cheap sports car for the buzz cut and gold chains crowd. But the new one, packed with a high-tech V-6 engine that kicks with 304 horsepower and 29 mpg on the highway (V-8 is optional) is far more sophisticated than the old generations of the car. General Motors wants to up its sophistication up a notch with an Executive Express edition of the car that will look snazzier than the stock version of the car, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told me. The car will be all black, may have some aluminum trim touches on the outside and a European-looking interior like an Audi, Lutz says. The car pictured above is not the Executive Express, it’s just a black Camaro. But you get the idea.

Why not? The car’s design certainly has cues from the Camaros of yore. But it’s not a retro knock off. It really is a modern interpretation of the Chevy pony car. So far, it has been a success. GM sold 8,700 last month, compared with 6,300 Ford Mustangs sold last month, and it remains in short supply at dealerships even in this dismal car market. A spruced up version may just hit.

kuei

September 18, 2009 6:54 PM

I always like Trans Ams better

G Reid

September 18, 2009 7:25 PM

So when do we get the Right Hand Drive Model Bob? Remember this is a World Car.

Carlos R Casoni

September 18, 2009 11:10 PM

Beautiful car .....I want one...how much does this little toy cost?
Can I get one down here in Chile?
Keep it up GM ...the Japs don´t make them like you do!!!

Harold West

September 18, 2009 11:43 PM

Does anyone remember the lame Berlineta trim level of the 80's Camaro?

mike, mba

September 20, 2009 12:32 PM

It's about time the did away with the chrome pieces for an educated demographic that's more sophisticated--chrome is for _______...

Liberty For ALL!

September 20, 2009 5:46 PM

Ok, but what about a Direct Injection Z/28 version?! ;-)

Steve

September 21, 2009 11:17 AM

I remember the berlinetta, f'ing awful!I picked mine up 10 Sep (Summit White, 2SS/RS. It's not retro to me, it's just plain sweet. Of course I am 38 not in my 50s. I think it's the best looking car on the road. The Challenger is pretty hot but the Mustang looks horrible to me. Nobody makes a muscle car like GM.

ps

September 22, 2009 8:09 AM

MBA set? Will they repackage the car several times until it turns into a rolls royce with approaval from the ratings agencies? Deja Vu.

Paul (Vw)

September 23, 2009 5:39 PM

>>> The car will be all black, may have some aluminum trim touches on the outside and a European-looking interior like an Audi, Lutz says.

If they can pull it off, that would be nice. I think Audi has the best interiors around. Any mention of this AWD on the so-called "Executive Express"?

Sprocketboy

September 24, 2009 9:40 AM

GM doing an Audi interior on a Chevrolet? I would like to see this...

jason

September 27, 2009 9:22 AM

i'd take one no matter what the color. although paying for it is another issue!

cool jules

October 22, 2009 11:20 AM

I owned a Z28 from nearly new over here in the UK!, 1991 model, and its still as good as new!Just proves chevvys go on for ever

michelle

November 4, 2009 2:47 PM

TRUE That .... i have a 99 camaro and i absolutely love it .... i really want a new one though.. too bad i am only sixteen but my parents are getting me one in two weeks... V8 with all black everything and it 43,000 i know i am spoiled.... lol i love it

faisal

December 23, 2009 3:48 PM

what its exactuly prices in usa...

plz if any body knows