GM Talking New BMW-Fighter for Cadillac

Posted by: David Kiley on August 10, 2009

General Motors is not losing any time telling its story and trying to show “green shoots” coming out of the New GM.

Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM EST, GM CEO Fritz Henderson will be hosting a webcast to update the public and the media on the automaker’s turnaround. Henderson is also expected to make a new product announcement.

The company, trying to make good use of Twitter as a message delivery system, today showed some plans to staff and social networked folks who have tweeted today on what they saw:

GM showed a new Cadillac concept car dubbed the ATS, a compact BMW 3-Series competitor that will come in both sedan and coupe versions.
The Cadillac DTS’ replacement, which is currently, named the XTS, will be built on the Buick LaCrosse vehicle architecture, and offered in all-wheel-drive.

The CTS coupe will arrive in May 2010, and there is chatter at GM about offering it in a performance “V” version.

Beyond Cadillac, Henderson is expected to nod to , if not show images of, the new Chevy Malibu due in showrooms in 2012, as well as talk up a new mid-size Buick model expected to arrive in the next 24 months.

Cy

August 10, 2009 5:18 PM

Brilliant, tap into a market that's already saturated by Acura, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes, all of which make a higher quality product. Wonder if anyone is shorting GM stock already...

Gimme a BREAK

August 10, 2009 5:45 PM

Ha ha.
do YOU remember the Catera? The Allegro? How about the Cimmaron? People, save yourself a lot of grief, and money.....go BUY a BMW and KNOW what very may well be, the world's BEST CAR!

kuei

August 10, 2009 6:54 PM

Uhhh...no thanks GM. I'll stick with my Lincolns and Fords. They run great and don't need americans to bail them out from incompetent leadership.

Bob Jones

August 10, 2009 6:57 PM

Cut the crap with all this green shoots non-sense.

Ballbuster

August 11, 2009 3:30 AM

Once upon a time, when GM had a press conference, everyone listen. Now, as Government Motors, everyone's attitude is " Who cares?" Having performed the same dance, song, and poetry recital before becoming Government Motor, Fritz and his Old-Boy-Network have little credibility with the American consumers. No amount of fancy sheet-metal and clever acronym like XTS or ATS will rid the rotten culture within GM. It is the malignant rot within GM's corporate body, from its Board to all their managers, that ultimately destroyed the once proud icon of American auto industry. Whitacre has not shown any courage to line-up certain managers before the firing squad. Time is running out for GM. Before long, these conniving incompetent managers will consolidate and force out Whitacre as well as others who demand draconian changes. Chapter 7 is not too far away.

Patience

August 11, 2009 12:14 PM

@ Gimme A BREAK:

You might want to catch up with the times my friend. While I must agreed that the vehicles you mentioned in your post were TERRIBLE offerings from the Cadillac brand todays lineup is nothing to scoff at. Just look at the Caddilac CTS (Soon in both wagon and coupe form)! It is unquestionably a strong competitor for the BMW 3 & 5 series. You might also consider it's V-series form which OUT PERFORMS BMW's M3 & M5 (The M3 by a wide margin I might add!) I'm not saying that BMW's aren't fine examples of engineering prowise, but don't count caddy out so quickly!

BTW - I would issue you a challenge to find me a BMW (ANY BMW!) with the performance #'s of a corvette ZR-1. Can't think of any? Thats because none exist! Hmmmm???!

Arthur

August 12, 2009 12:24 AM

I vaguely remember the Catera. I think they should have put a high-performance V-8 when they first brought it out.

If they had, I respectfully submit that they could have sold more than they did.

ps

August 12, 2009 8:03 AM

While not a GM (or Ford or Chrysler) fan, I think GM is moving the right way. Years ago they ceded the luxury market pretty much when they were making Tony Soprano land yachts while Beemer and others made great luxury sport machines. I think the CTS and SRX have been great transitional vehicles and the new Caddy lineup (and even Lincoln somewhat) are undeniably American school of design, not me too foreign imitators (except the me too aplha numeric labels). I don't think it's hype this time as hopefully the finance mba's and bean counting drones have been shunted aside so GM can build what people actually want, especially the under retirement age set.

Brendan

August 13, 2009 3:23 PM

I am disappointed that Cadillac is not bringing a large, RWD car to the market. A long wheelbase, full size Zeta platformed car would be sporty, well proportioned and spacious. This new large Cadillac, like the DTS, will be nose heavy and retain ungainly, FWD proportions.

nyongesa

August 23, 2009 7:25 AM

I am a long time GM detractor, but I'm also a student of business, and KODAK, IBM, XEROX, GE just no name a few major U.S. corporations also circled the drain in the not to distant past as each one faced a transformed industry landscape and hide bound corporate culture. All those companies came back storng as they were forced to change. Wether GM pulls it off is a question for the future, but I find the idea that only months into the process, it is evident they are doomed as trully laughable. Given the history of american management, I give them a better than average chance.

jmeyers

September 28, 2009 10:11 AM

Well not so long ago GM when they were making billions in profit started the trend of laying off 30,000 employees at factories in the good ole USA... to build new factories in Mexico to build GM cars... that's when I stopped buying GM altogether... Now the tax-payers have bailed them out they want Americans to buy their products... Where will these cars be made? in another country? just so the fat cat CEO's can get paid more? Check the VIN numbers when you purchase a car in the future... buy, Hyandai, Toyota, Honda many models are made in America even Mercedes... I will never... NEVER buy a GM car again...