Questions for Ford CEO Alan Mulally??

Posted by: David Kiley on December 2, 2008

If I get to talk to Ford CEO Alan Mulally in the next week or so, I want to know what our readers would like to ask him if they had the chance.

Mulally will face Congress again this week on Thursday and Friday along with GM CEO Rick Wagoner and Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli. As I sat in last month’s hearings, I found a lot of the questions from our elected officials lacked informed perspective and even, in some cases, basic intelligence.

I am of the opinion that our readers have better questions than most members of Congress.

I plan to ask Mulally, if I have the chance, the five best questions that come through. Please include your name and the kind of car you drive, as I want to tell him who the questions are coming from.

Fire away.

jay

December 2, 2008 9:25 AM

"My God, such as the economic crisis, looooook, handbags are not

worth www.handbagsjobber.com" Excuse me, you, I see only

good news would like to share

Bill M

December 2, 2008 2:04 PM

The question I would ask is: Why didn't you come out swinging with a plan and a $1 salary the first time you went to Congress? A good offense is the best defense.

Bill Madro
I have 4 cars, 1 Buick, 1 Pontiac, 1 Plymouth, and 1 Chrysler

Arpit Agrawal

December 2, 2008 2:06 PM

The Center for American Progress says that health care and pension costs add an average of $1,500 per car. How does Mr. Mulally expect to remain competitive with these fixed costs especially if there is a focus towards smaller (lower profit margin) vehicles?

Family fleet: 2 Hondas (1995 Accord, 2003 Civic), 2 Toyotas (2002 Sienna, 2009 Camry)
I drive the 1995 Honda Accord with 200,000 miles.

ANDRE FOX

December 2, 2008 5:05 PM

MY NAME IS ANDRE AND I'M FROM ST.LOUIS,MO AND I HAVE A 2005 MONTEGO AND IT HAS 38,000 MILES ON IT AND THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT IN MY CAR JUST 2 WEEKS AGO AND THE DEALER IS TRYING TO CHARGE ME 6,000.00 TO PUT A NEW TRANSMISSION IN IT, THEN WHEN I TOLD THEM DON'T NO CAR TRANSMISSION GO ALL THE WAY OUT AFTER 38,000 MILE, NOW I'M A FATHER WITH NO TRANSPORTATION AND THE BAD THING ABOUT IT IS THAT I USE TO WORK FOR FORD,AND I JUST KNEW THAT THEY WOULD STAND BEHIND THERE CARS, BUT THE CAR DEALERSHIP IS TREATING ME LIKE IT'S MY FOUGHT...PLEASE HELP ME, I NEED MY CAR BACK IMMEDIATELY AND I DON'T HAVE MONEY LIKE THAT......
MR.FOX
ST.LOUIS
314-517-6933

Lewis Green

December 2, 2008 5:36 PM

Why should a corporation be entitled to a taxpayer loan from a government deeply is debt? @LewisG

Mel

December 2, 2008 9:23 PM

American manufacturers have largely eliminated the quality gap versus the imports - primarily Honda & Toyota - but the depreciation factor has not apparently been addressed. Ex: I recently was offered 2k more for my wife's 2002 Accord EX, than my 2003 Impala LS on trade for a Toyota Camry. Since the American car cost more when new than the Accord this resale value is a MAJOR factor when considering a new purchase.

PS: The Accord is my wife's 5th one in a row. Can hardly get her to look at anything else.

Paul (Vw)

December 3, 2008 6:58 AM

Mr. Mulally:
Word has it this time around you drove a car to DC. Since there was so much made about your transportation (as if that somehow has to do with Detroit's mega-buck fiasco), this begs the question...will you be driving (or did you) a car back to Detroit?

Oh, and Mr. Mulally if you end up getting this bailout from Washington I may never return to buying Detroit cars.

Paul
1 Audi A4, 1 Volkswagen Passat

BW Community Editor Shirley Brady

December 3, 2008 11:30 AM

Thanks for your questions! You can read David's on-the-road interview with Alan Mulally here: http://is.gd/a3P7

Maximus

December 3, 2008 12:21 PM

How do you see Ford's market share in the automotive market in the next 3 years and what plans are you taking to make sure that these targets are met?

Maximus

2003 Honda Odyssey, 2004 Toyota Corolla

Scott

December 7, 2008 10:14 PM

I think that Detroit has certainly made its fair share of mistakes; but as Americans do we need to hold this against them forever. I certainly would not hold something against a friend forever. I think this country needs to get a sense of patriotism again and help out fellow Amercians. I think the last time we had any sense of patriotism shown regularly was after September 11th. Does it tak a tragedy to be Amercian and buy American (or least as much Amercian as we can)?

As current a Honda owner I recognize that the American auto industry has improved quality, efficiency and safety standards. I will be strongly considering buying American in the future particularly since my current vehicle has a tranny problem at 58k miles (yep one of those Accords that Consumer Reports likes so much).

Well, those are my thoughts and by the way, I think Washington should consider giving the guys without suits who make cars some respect. Just becuase these guys don't wear Wall Street suits does not mean they do not work hard everyday.

Scott
Phoenix

S

December 11, 2008 10:13 PM

Ask Alan,
I understand that you are asking for an option to borrow 9 Billion from the government. This kind of option is of a great value especially in today's economy. Yet, you say that you will not take a pay cut unless you exercise the option???? Are you asking the taxpayers to give you something for nothing? Are you for real??????

Michael Bivens

December 12, 2008 12:10 AM

My name is Michael Bivens and i have good news.I am the inventor of a revolutionary ion battery that recharges itself.This battery will work well with GMs Volt.People for the first time will be able to buy a car and drive for free. Put this battery in the Volt and there will be no need to use a outlet to recharge the battery or gas,it recharges itself.This battery will put GM back on top in the market. I can't get in contact with the CEOs if you can help.NUM-708-991-2747

Shelby Jayne

December 12, 2008 7:58 AM

Well why not revert to the old ways (which were green) And start making diesel engines that run off hemp seed oil like they were originally intended for. Hemp seed oil/veggie oil. Low emissions, good milage, excellent cash crop, and a great crop for rotations in the field because their root grow deep. All parts of the plant is used for product. Start small piolet project. Create jobs......

Shelby Jayne
Lancaster PA

Robert DeJernett

December 17, 2008 8:14 PM

The replacement battery pack for hybrids is about $5,000. Why not work on a simple 3 or 4 cylinder natural gas powered vehicle.
Why don't you reserect the English Morris Minor. This was an innovative car that could be made in 4 variations- 2 or 4 door passenger car, pickup truck and panel truck and the only changes occur behind the front cab. This was a fantastic little car and it looked great.

tom

March 25, 2009 4:45 PM

Ford's Mulally probbally doesnt give a [hoot] about the little customer. i have been ripped of by ford so bad its heart breaking.

LoveSee

May 21, 2009 1:48 AM

I certainly would not hold something against a friend forever,I will be strongly considering buying American in the future particularly since my current vehicle has a tranny problem at 58k miles http://www.mp4-converter.net