Ford Focus Surprises

Posted by: David Kiley on April 16, 2008

focus.jpg

What do the auto writers know? When Ford introduced the Ford Focus at the Detroit auto show last year, the redesigned body was greeted with yawns and catcalls.

Journos also hated the fact that Ford was going to just a sedan and coupe. No hatch and no wagon. We like hatches and sportwagons in the auto press. The public…not so much.

On the strength of the redesigned body (the engineering platform is carry-over, though improved)directed by Peter Horbury, the addition of the SYNC telematics system, good fuel economy and a pretty effective launch ad campaign, Ford Focus sales are up 23 percent in the first quarter, including 35% in March. The Focus is now third in U.S. small car sales behind the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. And Ford is getting much more revenue per vehicle than the old Focus model.

The only thing is…when I searched for the image, the different and much nicer looking European Focus kept coming up.

bob

April 16, 2008 3:16 PM

Ford execs are really up on things..where are the hybrids guys..?

Noz

April 17, 2008 12:58 PM

Let's just consider that first sentence-- "What do auto writers know?" Not a lot, as it happens. This becomes apparent when considering the mindless drivel spewed in the four major 'car books' that assault subscribers each month. The practicality that is so very much a part of vehicle ownership very seldom enters the picture, the cost of operation is usually ignored. Indeed the 'thrust' of the articles is largely boy-racer nonsense. It is remarkable how frequently the 'Cars of the Year' turn out to be dogs, trucks as well.

But then the 'journalists' will whine about their tough life, all the conditions they have to meet in their efforts to remain employed, blah, blah, blah. So very sad.

And thus my primary source of information is Consumer Reports. What I read is taken with very little salt. And the stats are often those of their readers/subscribers, not those of the manufacturers nor some self-described 'sporty ego-driven scribe'.

Ken

April 23, 2008 5:43 PM

The new American Ford Focus, to put it charitably, looks like a piece of garbage. Ford has clearly lost its "focus". I say that because I believe you, the reader will come to the same conclusion when you see the EUROPEAN Ford Focus. BTW, just simply "google" the European Ford Focus. The European version is the version that should have been offered here in the good ole US of A.
Hint......Ford, here is the secret of success in any field: FOCUS!!!

Apex Alex

April 30, 2008 5:16 AM

i used to own a 2000 focus.

imo, with every "freshening" of the focus' styling, it got MORE BLAND.

njriverman

September 23, 2008 10:05 PM

I used to own a 2000 Focus and I liked it more than my 2005 and definitely more than my wifes 2006.

I found this threasd through trackback from http://www.pennjersey.info/forums/

ValenzuelaRAQUEL29

August 4, 2010 3:04 AM

If you are willing to buy a house, you will have to receive the loans. Furthermore, my brother usually takes a short term loan, which supposes to be really fast.