NY Auto Show: A Pontiac Pickup? No, Thanks

Posted by: David Welch on March 20, 2008

sport truck.jpg Here is one car I just don’t get. General Motors plans to bring the pictured Pontiac G8 sport truck from its Australian Holden operations to sell in the states. It’s a throwback to the old Chevrolet El Camino that was killed off in the late ‘80s. It should have stayed in the ‘80s and so should this car.

Still, GM plans to sell it here in late 2009. It’ll come with a gas-hogging and road-ripping 361-horsepower V-8. What it doesn’t come with is an explanation of why this car is being sold here. Not only is the car irrelevant in an era when $3.25 a gallon gasoline and tough fuel economy rules have made efficiency the order of the day, but GM already tried this idea. The company launched the Chevy SSR sport pickup a few years ago. It died ignominiously. GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz says they don’t plan to sell very many of them. I think he’s got that right.

Tony

March 20, 2008 9:01 PM

How can this be compared to an SSR. That was way too attention getting to be used as a work truck. It would be a sin to throw tools and rubbish in the back. Hats off to GM for finally remebering the real El Camino lovers.

Noz

March 21, 2008 12:23 PM

Right in Spades about the Pontiac Gent's PU. But as you know, Down Under this kind of thing sells rather well. Recall the Valiant PU, and the several Ford models. the long lonely miles in the Outback can call for something far more civilized that your typical bucking-bronco (roo down there) cab/box-on frame pickup. A HONDA Ridgeline might cut it nicely, but I suspect they are all LHD, made for the American market. And building a RHD model of the Pontiac, if done from scratch, is not be too far a leap iout of the troubled pot of failing/flailing GM. The SSR was strictly for the few mental midgets with $40 grand or so to blow. Pretty dumpy car and it sold poorly with its high cost, high weight, clumsy ride and handling, and Oh, that mousy front ende!

Bottom line, I think you are right in your assessment of the viability of the G6, but as we know there are herds of suckers out there--up here, that is...

Luiz

March 21, 2008 5:11 PM

"The company launched the Chevy SSR sport pickup a few years ago. It died ignominiously."

Nope, the Chevy SSR was intended to be "limited edition". The number of production was limited and the price was high.

I think this Pontiac G8 Pickup will be "limited edition" with limited quantity.

Reese

March 28, 2008 7:22 AM

With V-8 and Pontiac in theie Bag,
I see GM eying for Electric Car's Market !

Rick

May 19, 2008 1:43 PM

If you don't have use for a truck then you won't understand it! You must be a big city type who pays to have everything delivered.
I had a 2004 GTO w' a 6 speed I ave'd 20 mpg around town and could easly knock down 26 mpg @75-80 mph on the hwy. The only reason I didn't keep it is because my wife didn't want to shift manualy. So if I can get a pickup that get similar gas mileage and carry something I will be the first in line to get one. Thank You!

mark

October 21, 2008 6:48 PM

IF they can keep it like the SS Commador UTE which is down under and not make it look like the rest of the pontiacs and have the HSV parts for it i will be inline for one as well it will look good beside my GTO.

Edgar Phelps

January 13, 2009 12:19 PM

WILL THERE BE A PONTIAC TRUCK MADE ?

robert anderson

January 27, 2009 9:51 PM

with a v8,I hope so!

BryantReeL

April 8, 2009 9:46 AM

I really like what they are trying to do here with this idea. I believe an all terrain type truck would be a good idea here to. Alot of people who may buy this may not just keep it on the street. Maybe make a few thousand with a 4x4 and see how it sells. Just an idea if its going to be limited edition.

RM

December 28, 2009 10:48 PM

Pontiac has left this world
Pontiac 1926 - 2009 in 210 you'll be buying wha they couldn't give away in '09.