As Jag Heads For Auction Block, It Tops Satisfaction Survey

Posted by: David Kiley on July 20, 2007

keyring1.jpg

Remember the joke about Jaguars in the 1980s; that you needed two—one to drive while the other one was in the shop. Jag has certainly come a long way in quality. Not only does it score well in J.D. Power’s Initial Quality Study, but it topped Power’s ranking of brands for Sales Satisfaction when it comes to dealer service.

It’s worth mentioning this since buyers are lining up to take Jaguar off Ford’s hands. The brand, despite the good service score, has long been killing Ford with losses. Ford has become Jag weary, trying to make the Brit brand profitable after almost 20 years of ownership. Plus, CEO Alan Mulally sees it, and Land Rover, as distractions to fixing Ford.. Also…he doesn’t want to start fixing the company, get some earnings momentum in 2009-2010, and then have some wacky British labor problem or a further weakened dollar zap his earnings down the road.

Jaguar ranks highest with an overall CSI score of 925 points on a 1,000-point scale—13 points above the top CSI performer in 2006—improving considerably among repair customers in the areas of service quality and service initiation. Following Jaguar in the rankings are Buick (918) and Cadillac and Lexus (913, in a tie).

Whoever winds up buying Jag-Land Rover will have a devil of a time coming up with regular earnings. Maybe the likes of Cerberus or a private equity firm featuring former Ford CEO Jacques Nasser has an idea about how to put the brand on new rails. But at least one thing seems clear. People no longer need two Jags to enjoy the brand, even if that would help sales.

Neil

July 31, 2007 10:35 AM

Jaguar has come a long way but the deal looks to include the ball and chain known as Land Rover. As an owner of a Land Rover may I caution anyone who decides to align themselves with such a nightmare product. Even with added investments in customer support and service, no one can work the magic LR needs to be pulled from the bottom. Others can testify to this as published by JD Powers.

joe

November 9, 2007 9:32 PM

I own a jaguar and I love it I hope that both jaguar and landrover go to a good company that wont turn jag and land rover into companys that are known for being cheap. To me jaguar is a very ellegant car. What jaguar and landrover really need to do is to save money by only building cars by request not like now were they make billions. That will save them alot of money because that is how rolls royce and bentley do things.

joe

November 9, 2007 9:34 PM

Joe

December 31, 2007 4:42 PM

Tata is buying jaguar and land rover this sucks. All I have to say is bye to jaguar and land rover because they will be so cheap building those cars it is not even funny. Ford really sucks I cannot express how dissapointing that is. I am never ever going to even think about buying a ford now because of this I love jaguar they are stupid to get rid of a car like jaguar.

Joe

December 31, 2007 4:42 PM

Dilly

January 29, 2009 1:59 AM

Hi Sir im interested to buy one of those jaguar key rings, so can you advice me where can i find one of them please. Thanks.