Camaro Trumps Dodge Challenger

Posted by: David Kiley on January 10, 2006

camaro.jpg

On Sunday afternoon, the floor of the North American International Show in Detroit was abuzz over the unveiling of the Dodge Challenger concept that was also on magazine covers like Autoweek and Automobile. The muscle car in red got our blood pumping. And then a funny thing happened. GM unveiled the Camaro concept. And the air pretty much went out of the Challenger.

Chrysler pretty much dusts GM on concept cars. But not this time. It was an otherwise quiet show for GM. Not much to get excited about. New Escalade? Sorry. Yawn. But the Camaro was the car that people lined up to see. Under Bob Lutz and chief designer Ed Welburn, GM’s studio hit a much needed homerun and cleared the bases.

Whereas Chrysler kind of enslaved itself to the orginal 1970 Challenger, GM updated the idea of the Camaro into a modern interpretation of a muscle car that paid homage to the original Camaro from the late 1960s without trying to redo the car.
Though Chrysler boss Tom Lasords and head PR man Jason Vines dispute my assertion that Challenger wilted after the Camaro was unsheeted, my chats with several top designers and buff book editors tell me I have it right.

Robin Perez

January 13, 2006 4:17 PM

I agree, the Camaro looks much more sophisticated than the plain-old-looking Challenger (making matters worse, I just watched the "Dukes of Hazzard," and that 70's car looked the same! and even painted with the same color! -BTW, I didn't finish the movie,it was.... well, let's leave it like that) Still, even with all those techno touches, the Camaro just looks like a restored 60's Camaro. Isn't this retro thing growing long in the tooth already? Haven't retro proved to be just a fad for the first 2 or 3 years a model is on the market? (i.e. New Beetle, PT Cruiser, Thunderbird) Or is it the Big Three lack vision to the future? Look at Chevy's HHR, now look at Honda's new Civic. Once again the Japanese are showing us the tomorrow of 'automotivedom' while Detroit desperately looks to the past searching for hits. Yeah, Ford pulled it off with the Mustang, why can't we? -it seems it's the talk over there... (but the Mustang isn't totally retro, remember that)

Ed Marino

January 19, 2006 5:53 AM

I say way to go Dodge,...... Thank you for bringing identity and fun back into driving.. I will be on line to buy the new challenger!!

john GM

January 24, 2006 2:02 PM

please GM is riding on the idea that ford and mopar had with that camaro bring in the old there all old looking camaro with that grill that is well i will not even go there

Wes

January 26, 2006 3:50 PM

Agreed - the Camaro is very well done.

Retro is long in the tooth and there is no current retro production vehicle that has sold well after the intial nostalgia/mystique has worn off. Mustang sales are slowing down, driving down prices. PT Cruiser. It was cooked in 2002. The New Beetle? who actually buys them, I can't recall having seen any other than the "Geek Squad" one in the past couple months.

Bringing back the original Challenger with modern amenities will not work. Thank goodness the Camaro respects the past while looking to the future.

Dogg

January 27, 2006 12:58 PM

The new Camaro looks more akin to a Chrysler Crossfire or a Benz SLK. GM seems to be looking over the shoulders of Chrylsler designers (the HHR comes to mind) rather than dig for new concepts. Don't get me wrong, the new GMs look great, just "fashionably" (pun intended) late to the party.

How about that Dodge Challenger though. Wow. Why fix it if it ain't broke? I can hardly wait to see this car on the street.

G. Kulpe

January 27, 2006 10:33 PM

425 hp in that package! The dodge has it all over the camaro. I have a '94 camaro and '00 trans am ws6 and this time I would buy the dodge. ( A convertable???)

Ronnie Coles

February 7, 2006 11:49 PM

What an idiot to make such a statement that the Camaro Trumps Challenger.
The Camaro is hopeless, bufugly & is cursed by 2 factors. It's a chevy which is apart of Generic Motors. They WISH the Cramaro (crapola) was half the car as the Challenger. Long live Mopar & that legendary styling & colors.

Aaron

February 8, 2006 2:01 PM

First off, let's be fair here. The Challenger concept is built on an already-existing platform, with a lot of 'from-the-bin' parts. The Camaro concept is basically all new. Not only does the Camaro look like some sort of space-age fightership, but one look at the interior will tell you that it's FAR from production ready. With the secondary gauges in front of the shifter knob? Seriously, do you think this would ever hit the street that way? If you truly feel the Camaro beat out the Challenger, take a trip around some of the message boards across the internet. Not just Dodge boards, not just Chevy boards, but all of them. You'll find, as I did, that the resounding response from the general public (the ones who TRULY matter) is in favor of the Challenger.

ErikM3

February 8, 2006 4:51 PM

I have had been blessed in my career to be able to drive pretty much what I want. I am a current BMW E46 M3 and new E60 M5 owner, both of which are at the top of their respective automotive food chain. With that said in the past I have had everything from a 6.6 Trans Am to a Porsche 996, but once I saw the Challenger the left side of my brain kicked my EGO and ID into over drive telling me that this car will be mine. It brings back fond memories of my 71 Chally. The lines are perfect and the Hemi 6.1L or hopefully 6.4L mated to the Viper Spec 6 sp would be the perfect modern day Mustang & C6 slayer. It would cost DCX pennies, relatively speaking, to bring this car to MKT as the infrustructure is already in place.
The Camaro on the other hand looked just like what it is A Concept. It's lines would take considerable re-tooling on GM's part,(read:Capital Investment) to get this car to mkt. The second major hurdle would be talking the UAW into building it at a profitable cost. Yes I did say "build it" due to there is considerable legal restrictions levied against the "Camaro" name. If it was to be produced it would have to be built in Ontario. Right now there is alot of bad blood between Ontario and GM involving GM's fast and unexpected pull out when the F Bodies were canceled. GM also defaulted on large loans underwritten by the Gov't in respect to the F Body production. Until these rather sizable obstacles are overcome, the Camaro will be just a "Concept".

BlackRT

February 8, 2006 5:07 PM

Yawn for the Camaro.... Lutz will screw it up like he did the GTO. It's too aggressive to be a Chevy. They'll dumb down and otherwise preserve their conservative Chevy looks on the production version (if they actually have one at all). At least Dodge is realistic with the Challenger design concept. And yes... I think the Dodge looks way better anyway. Mr. Kiley has a jaded point of view. Look a the Camaro/Challenger poll results for your answer.

Barry Longest

February 8, 2006 10:39 PM

Wow! What a pinhead! Sounds like he is trying to "drum up" support for the Camaro. Look at all the car mags. They all have the challenger on the cover and MAYBE a small pick of the Camaro. Long in the tooth? Not hardly. Look at the honda civic? Are you SERIOUS?

Billy G

February 10, 2006 5:49 AM

I noticed that you cropped the photo of the Camero for the website, proably to hide that ugly nose that sticks out like Barbera Streisand's. I hope Chevy tones it down for the production model, if they can dig up the cash to produce it. The new Camaro still shouts unproduceable "Concept Car" to me.

The Challenger may look a lot like the 1970 model, but it will be miles away from those old ponycars that had squirrley steering, weak brakes and tiny overmatched tires.

I'd rather see new cars with a smoother look, not with sharp buldges and blobs. Detroit needs to get rid of these computer generated shoe boxes and pears on wheels and design works of art like they did back in the 50's and 60's.

I think the new Challenger will be a massive seller for DCX. The 35+ croud will love the retro looks with the tight handling and braking right out of the 300, while the kids in the high school parking lot will be blown away by the Hemi. The modern Hemi is a great engine, but it's been crying for a car that befits it's legendary racing heritage. Unlike the bland new Thunderbird and the imposter aussie GTO, the new Challenger wont be rusting on the sales lot.

Chris Matheny

February 11, 2006 1:02 AM

I think you are completely mistaken in thinking that the Camaro took the air out of the Challenger's debut. The Challenger is generating a tremendous amount of positive buzz amoung Mopar fans. On a Challenger forum that I regularly visit, there have even been current Mustang owners saying they will trade for the Challenger once it comes out. To me, the Camaro looks ok from the front, but looks like a Mazda RX8 or 6i from the rear, very uninspiring. The Challenger will hit production pretty much as is, while the Camaro will undergo who knows how many changes and most likely lose what character the prototype might have had.

Dodge gave people, it's fans and customers, what they wanted. Afterall, that's what they are supposed to do is it not? That was a retro design of a very popular and well loved muscle car. It is for them, that this car was designed and will be built for. Not people such as yourself. The Mopar faithful are loving it, and I'm quite certain it will attract many other buyers as well. DCX is the hottest American car company going right now, and as usual has the best designs going as opposed to GM's ho hum vehicles. Dodge will just continue this with new vehicles such as the Caliber and Nitro.

brian

February 14, 2006 2:41 PM

The tires will be the only thing wilting on the new Challenger as it passes George Jetsons' dream Camaro.

Tom Cyganiak

February 15, 2006 10:32 AM

I say SO WHAT to all who think you ALWAYS need to look to the future. Those old Muscle Cars helped us get where we are today and WILL help with the future. The styling just adds to the fun of driving and gives us "Old Muscle Car Gear Heads" another option when buying a NEW car. I had a 1970 Plum Crazy Purple R/T 440 Six-Pac Challenger in the 80's during the BEST time of my life so I'll be skipping in line for one of the new ones. I'm sure the Camaro folks feel the same way. I've seen ENOUGH SUVs and cookie cutter sedans. BRING ON THE MUSCLE!!!

Michael Boleynn

February 16, 2006 10:51 PM

David Kiley wrote this article huh? Can hardly belive that. Oh well, I guess there has to be at least one token idiot in the review circle or someone would say the deck was totally stacked in Dodges favor.

Buddy Mastin

February 20, 2006 11:58 AM

Dodge hit a home run this time.The new Mustang and Camaro look nice until you see the new Challenger. This is the first time i've been excited about a new car in years. I will be one of the first to be driving a new Challenger in my town. All these people with the negativity are just Plum Crazy.

Greg Saylor

March 13, 2006 6:13 PM

I can't really speak my mind, without sounding offensive, to the author of this article. "The Camaro Trumps the Challenger" (at the auto show).

Umm. Okay. Pull your head out of the sand.

Scott Fischetti

March 17, 2006 7:40 AM

The new challenger is the only car that i wouldn't have a second thought about buying. I liked Camaros when i was little but the new one looks like crap. The challenger is going to be loved by every one. I had a picture of the new one and every one thoght i was looking at a clean 71 at first look. i used to work for chrysler and this is deffinitly the best thing they have put out in a while. True muscle.
P.S. Ford suks

Ronald Fields

March 23, 2006 8:19 AM

I am not sure about the Camaro topping the Challenger.. it is a fair looking car but the Camaro just is too new looking and not retro enough... as far as Robin Perez's comments .. the Dukes of Hazzard uses a Charger.. Not a Challenger. I guess he left his head in the sand too long... anyway... What are these designers smoking? some of these new cars on the road are the ugliest pieces of horror that only some one on drugs or a bottle of vodka could like.. brings to life the comment "they all get prettier at closing time" to reality.. Pontiac Aztec, Buick Rondevous, Scion, many others are so ugly and they wonder why they can sell them... others look like they are assembled from a brix block bucket or AC Gilbert erector set (remember them) others still from a Jigsaw puzzle.... I don't know.... bring back the 60's with updates... the 1st one that comes out with a sleek 2 door hardtop (remember them.. no side post) is going to clean up...

Anthony

April 21, 2006 7:27 PM

Sorry David, you couldnt be furhter from the truth. I hate dodge, I am more of a pontiac guy but after seeing that challenger I began selling off old toys to make room for it in my garage. DODGE....If you build it, I will buy it!!!

David

June 21, 2006 8:09 PM

Camaro trumps Challenger, what a joke! Even your hardcore Chevy fans are saying they will buy the Challenger, that says it all!

David

June 21, 2006 8:09 PM

James

August 12, 2006 12:40 AM

The new camaro? All it needs to be the next batmobile is a black paint job and a hood mounted machine gun, The only problem DCX will have with the new Challenger is Removing the rubber from the carlot when all the happy customers hit the throttle as they leave.

Stephen

August 12, 2006 11:53 AM

I have owned several collectible muscle cars and have heard the spill about Ford vs. GM vs. Chrysler. I love the retro stuff!! I dont think their running out of ideas. I think their using timeless stylings on a new and improved chassis. If you look at the number the original 60's and 70's stuff is going for who could blame the big three for being curios and wanting to tap into the. I feel the kids today want those kind of styling and not so much the rice rocket feel. I love the new chally! I have a couple chevy friends who love the Camaro, and the Mustang and I really dig the competition and conversation! I cant wait till they come out so my challenger can blow the doors of the camaro and the mustang!!! C-ya at the track!

NineLives

August 19, 2006 5:37 PM

With all the "Chevy is better than Dodge, Dodge rules, Chevy stinks, and I'd rather eat worms than drive a Ford" talk I see in this blog, I just gotta say something here. If a car is cool looking and fast, I have long gotten over my teen-angst against what particular badge happens to be on the grill. I've owned 60's 409 Impala's, Chevelle SS396's, Firebirds, 421 Catalina's,and then a bunch of family cars out of necessity, then a 5.0 Mustang (in the 90's, when the only other car with a good power/weight ratio was the Corvette and other out of reach exotics), and many sports cars of various types afterward, even a Mazda, and a German brand. Look, JUST THE FACT THAT FORD, GM, AND CHRYSLER ARE BACK IN THE SUPERCAR BUSINESS IS JUST TOO COOL TO BE BELIEVED.(yes, we called them supercars, not musclecars back in the day). I don't get why people have to say that Brand-X new supercar looks like crap and has 15% less horsepower and it's going to be trumped by Brand-Y because the paint color looks too 1969, or looks too flashy and modern for a musclecar. I say, JUST LET THEM BUILD SOME COOL CARS, which hasn't happened since the EPA and politically motivated jerks like Ralph Nader (RIP, you jerk) pushed compression ratios down to 8-to-1, and made the manufacturers install those ridiculous "5-mph bumpers" that stuck out 10 inches from the grill on everything from Buick Estate Wagons to MGB's. Sorry, a bit of pent-up anger, over the years. (That's been brewing since about 1973). Y'all can dump on the Challenger's paint or the Camaro's instrument panel light bulbs if that's what you youngsters think it's all about. As for me, I'm just gonna be looking a what really matters, power-to-weight, and buy whichever of these cars that will blow the doors off the guy in the 440 6 Pack Roadrunner, AND the guy in the Subaru AWD dual-nitrous staged STi. The Supercar lives, and the brand is American, which I think is pretty cool. I'm leaning toward the Challenger, but waiting to see what Lutz has up his sleeve. Basically, if the car will do a 60 foot wheelie half way down Woodward Ave, I don't care if Bob does a retro-version of the Yugo, people will buy it.

Paul

August 27, 2006 3:33 AM

New age ...Camaro/GTO/Mustang/Charger/Challenger/Thunderbird/Beetle etc... all good ideas in their own ways. Anyone get an idea on the price of these 2 vehicles (Camaro/Challenger). Im not positive buti can almost say that the Challenger (HEMI) is going to be base 30k+ and you get a nice old school feel of a car, but if you look at the design, is it going to beable to preform all around like the camaro has for years? GM states that they hope to make the new Camaro base price in the mid 20k. Now not only stock will you get better preformance from the camaro, but you will have 5k+ dollars left to mod your camaro to well surpass the the Challengers 425 HP. And as far as style, it depends on the person. If you like the complete retro feel, by all means, buy a Challenger, but if you want to have any new age in your ride ,then you will be set with the new camaro.

Paul

August 27, 2006 3:47 AM

....from my last comment....The Dodge Charger 6.1 HEMI starts at 38k+ so you know for sure that the Challenger will be the same. So if GM pulls through to give us a Camaro 6.0L 400HP for mid 20k then I'll take my other 10k+ that I saved from not getting a Challenger, and invest it into my Camaro to make it 200HP+ more than your stock challenger...and I'll be blowin your doors off at the track!

ASHLEY

August 29, 2006 3:38 PM

I LOVE THE 06' CAMARO....IM NOT SURE ON THE CONCEPT THAT IS "SUPPOSED TO" COME OUT IN 09'... THEY ARE BOTH SUPPOSED TO BRING BACK THE 60'S CAMAROS...AND MY DREAM CAR IS DEFINETLY 68Z28.... THE 06'S I THINK WILL DEFINETLY BE A BIG HIT!!! I MEAN COME ON.... "FORDS CIRCLE THEIR MISTAKES" AND I THINK THE 06' MUSTANG LOOKS TOUGH... GOOD JOB ON THE NEW LOOKS... I CANT STAND THESE NEW CARS COMING OUT 4 THE "AERODYNAMIC" LOOK..... GO FOR THE MUSCLE LOOK PEOPLE! I MEAN COME ON.... AFTER ALL..... GUYS LOOK WAY BETTER IN MUSCLE THAN AERODYNAMIC!!!

PS ASHES TO ASHES....DUST TO DUST....IF IT WASNT FOR FORDS...OUR TOOLS WOULD RUST!

Dean E

September 15, 2006 5:32 AM

"Camaro Trumps Dodge Challenger"... I don't think so! Again, GM has no clue as to what the public is looking for. Strip all the badging off of the "Camaro" and ask someone what the heck it is... I doubt they will be able to guess it's a Camaro. Get your head out of your A$$ and wake up. The only thing GM has going for them is the Vette! And THAT is a awesome car. And yes, I'll be in line for the Challenger!

Randy

October 3, 2006 1:53 AM

LETS see what the camaro and the challenger has to offer, i like hem both.

I i am in a mid life crisis so i need one of the to come ahaead soon.. lol (i am only 34)..

Take care all...

Jim Mitchell

October 3, 2006 3:17 PM

Yeah, the writer of the "Camaro trumps Challenger" is just some idiot it seems, trying to create controversy or maybe GM paid him. LOL Who knows.
Chevy guys on all the forums are saying they might just buy a Dodge, which is astounding in itself. I can't wait to see one myself.
The Camaro concept missed the boat, the Mustang sure looks good in it's latest form, but the Challenger hit the nail on the head. Drop dead gorgeous!

Scott Phillips

October 14, 2006 6:26 AM

Bottom line is which maker actually get their concepts into production. I personally love the challenger and the 6.1 hemi. I have a four door ram with a hemi and I eat up ford and chevys all day long even though my truck weighs in a 6000 lbs. The Camero look nice but thats a poor excuse for a cheap quick fix to get buyers when we all know it wont look the same or be in production any time soon.

Anthony Hillis

October 15, 2006 7:31 AM

I welcome the retro look with a modern twist. Long has past the era on the muscle car making way for a bland watered down version of former glory... I cant help but look across a parking lot and everything looks the same. were producing fule efficiant go kart on squrae and rounded frames, with the ocasional option the upgrade to an engine that will perform. I love seeing anything from the mid 60's to about 74ish sitting in a parking lot with class and style showing how far away from excellence the designs have come. The mustang was a start it proved it counld be done and in my opinion the Challenger hit the spot... the baby boomer generation can relive the glory days and their children can have cars that they can look back at and say, "now thats a classic from my day!" this is the next generation of the collectable car... the rebirth of muscle... scoff if you will but these are exciting days.

Max

October 21, 2006 7:36 AM

come one guys-First I agree that the Camaro is not a true car yet since it is a concept, but you are all talking about the challenger burning the Camaro. There is no V6 for the Camaro if it goes into production it has been announced. Currently they have two V8 Engines available- the 400hp and the performance engine 505hp (used in the current Corvette Z06) which would run against your SRT-8 Challenger with 425hp. Who would be in the winners circle now? I come from a different viewpoint than all of you at age 18 and everyone I have talked to in my generation except 1 has liked the Camaro more. Another point-if Ford has screwed everything up-why is the Mustang the only pony car that survived through and through? Personally I am saving up for the 2009 Camaro release date everyone should be excited for.

vincent moore

October 31, 2006 6:14 PM

i have some pretty i mean preettttyy hard core chevy fan at my school. no one has seen the challenger concept. so i got a hot rod mag and showed them the car. They fell down to their knees in awe. so how could the camero trump the challenger. hard core chevy to mopar mainiacks. im 13 i and know the difference between reality and mir concept. dodge will demolish all with 425 hp and retro style

long live muscle down with ricers P.S.{david kiley is just plain MEST UP!!!!

Ferrari_Driver

November 2, 2006 8:55 PM

Well let's see, you're all talking about Concepts and stuff. I personaly think that both cars are a great come back for american muscles. Both companies are running their mouth alot, lets see the cars in our showrooms, compare their prices and then decide which stock engine will burn the other with its horsepower in REALITY!! not FANTASY!! So i can buy one of them..... ya and thanks for Chevy and Dodge for creating CARS,.. FINALY!

ben

November 20, 2006 1:24 AM

1. i am not brand loyal
2. i will be in the market for a high performance car under the 50 thousand when these cars come out.

so which one of these cars would i choose whenever the time comes? simply, the one that delivers the most performance for the money. that having been said, i am not a fan of the way the camaro CONCEPT looks. but i would still get one if i could get 0-60 times of about 4 seconds out of it. the challenger on the other hand is a very beautiful car (needs a little paint -too monochromatic for me)that i would consider getting IF it delivered good 0-60 times. i am far from having made up my mind on either one of these cars, but it looks like my money will go towards a challenger.

marco

November 20, 2006 12:16 PM

I'm Italian and I visited California last month,I must sadly say that America today is full of ugly asian cars!
I really can't understand how is possible to buy craps like toyota,nissan,infinity,lexus,mistubishi,kia etc..
America should be filled with muscle cars like mustangs,camaros and challengers as well as big enormous coupè and sedan that made it famous around the world!!!
don't forget also that many european brands that you(Americans love so much)in Europe are used as taxis!(bmw,volvo,mercedes etc..)
I really hope the true American style will return in full in the future.

Jesse

December 9, 2006 3:48 PM

I think the new Camaro looks like a futuristic muscle car. The new Dodge Challenger is by far the best retro car out there. The HHR, and PT Cruiser don't really do it, they are both small, Ford came close but Dodge has won it. Personally I think for a futuristic looking car the Camaro looks great, but for those of us wanting a muscle car that embodies what defined muscle cars, Dodge wins hands down.

Bill John

December 25, 2006 8:13 PM

I have owned two mint Mopars, one a 1970 Challenger convertible which I miss dearly. I saw the original concept for the Charger back several years before it came out. I was so excited I could not wait to buy it. It had the retro look, with the modern conveniences of a new car. I was then so disappointed when it came out, and with absolutly no recognition of the '60s Charger.

I have the same excitement now for the Challenger. I will buy that car if they stay true to the concept.

If they follow the GTO and Charger and leave the design of the muscle car, I will go ahead and buy foreign, probably Lexus or Infinti luxury car. There is nothing American that has drawn me design wise until the Mustang came out, and now to see the new Camaro and Firebird concept cars brings a whole new excitement to the American cars that has not been seen for 30 years.

Ford Mopar or Chevy, we are all winners in this return to the Muscle Cars!!

Knives

December 26, 2006 1:38 AM

i think you people judge too much lol
just be glad they are bringing back some good cars
a comment bout the challenger
its not as long as the original was
and it looks a bit too much square
and like someone said
with the price of the Camaro
i can easily save me some upgrade money and upgrade that engine. maybe bore it out to a 427
so its all good
the challenger still a good car
But as a GM fan im one who stays loyal and chooses the Camaro
retro is outdated
its time for something new
least GM isnt trending

Skip West

December 29, 2006 2:14 PM

Lets first start by addressing the guy that talks about the Dukes of Hazard TV show, that is not a Challenger, its a 1969 Charger, so if your going to talk about Challengers, you need to first know what your talking about. As far as the new Challenger vs the new Camaro, time will only know. I am a big GM fan and also a Chrysler fan. Since 2004, I have bought a total of 11 Dodges, most are SRT's. Ford, to me do not even excist, as far as performance. Lets talk about RETRO, you all must abmit that the Challenger is retro, and that the Camaro is a all together a new car. We will all see what the better car is, the Challenger will come out on top. Dodge always is the faster car. Look at the Viper, how long did it take for GM to get the vet. to keep up with the Viper? How much money do you have to spend on a Ford, to keep up with the Viper? Over 100k. Viper has been the faster car since 1994. My bet will be on the Challenger being the faster, better handing and best looking car on the market for 2008. Yes the Camaro looks good, but its not retro. The Challenger looks GREAT and is RETRO, and with a 6.1L (425 HP) it will kick, I only hope that by 2008, Dodge takes the HP to 500HP.

Skip West

December 29, 2006 2:32 PM

Max, to answer your question, I can tell you that its not all about HP, its also about the drivers. My 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8 kick the crap out of your 2006 ZO6, and the Charger is a 4300 pound car. So my money will be on the Challenger SRT-8. If you know anything about power, its not just about HP. Its knowing how to drive the cars, I myself have been in racing for my whole life, and I have been to SEMA to see both cars. The Challenger SRT-8, will come out on top, once more.

Dennis Hibbard

January 1, 2007 9:26 PM

I agree with John. With Dodge,Chevrolet and Ford
getting into the retro muscle car war, we all win.

Ken

January 2, 2007 10:23 PM

I am 50 (like probably several of the above posters) and have owned nothing but GM and Ford products in my driving history, but I WILL have at least one of those Challengers in 2008. Write it down and count on it!

Even with my prior (and current) ownership in Mustangs and F-bodys, I have no interest in the new Camero. Zero, nil, nada. It is about looks, performance, and charisma. Mint certified 1971 hemi Challengers go for well over $200k at auto auctions. No exotic rare combination f-body ever made will bring that. Probably not two of them added together. Dodge knows they have a gem in style and desireability and are playing on it.

When it is time for the drag strip, I will bring out my easily modified but stock looking V6 SFI 3.8L, turbo charged, intercooled, alky/water injectioned Grand National and run with any stock car down to the 10's. The stock Challenger will stay in the garage as I don't think that either it or a new stock Camero will hang with it in the 1/4.

stephen

January 9, 2007 12:34 AM

No F-body is capable of bringing $200k...... are you serious?? First gen camaros especially Yenko's and COPO's are notorious for their current worth in the muscle car market. Just watch Barett-Jackson sometime. The '69 ZL1 Camaro's, THE end-all, kick everyone elses musclecar's ass by the way, regurally sell for around the the half-mil ballpark. Still not as much as a Hemi Cuda or Superbird, but over $200k.....
Everyone else.... you guys are TOO critical. Both cars are great and are being produced almost exactly like their respective concepts. Some people would never consider the Mopar, while others wouldn't drive the Camaro if it was given to them. It's all individual taste. That's why the two are so different; they'll both find plenty of customers. I'd personally opt for the Cam', black on black 6-sp (yeahhh), but that's me. Either way, who cares which one is better as long as there's good ole' American muscle still around to kick everyone else's ass (and for way less money)!! I say bring on the neo-muscle era!!

camaro2009here

January 15, 2007 6:03 PM

not much to say but CAMARO!

camaro2009here

January 15, 2007 6:03 PM

not much to say but CAMARO!

turd

January 20, 2007 6:22 PM

you all dont know what your talking about.... the new dodge challenger is off the hizzy.... that is all... goodbye

p.s. i probably wont find this website ever again so there is no sense in writing back because you all know that i am right.

sincerely,
richard t. rumer

Tim Lindsey

January 23, 2007 6:45 PM

after i read this i could have rolled over and died!! im so happy MOPAR has finaly woke up from what has been a terrible NIGHTMARE I cant wait until the world is polluted with american made muscle cars again exspecialy mopars im (19) so you see i didnt get to see much of the muscle car era i have a 70 model Duster and i love it long live MOPAR MUSCLE............

Dwight

January 23, 2007 8:14 PM

The Challenger is a way more amazing car than the camaro. It will be so nice to see a newer car that has muscle like the 70's cars. Chevy is obviously scared because the camaro was history and they had to bring it back to try and outdue Mopar..... Not going to happen....... put the camaro back in the grave!!

Dodge Challenger

January 27, 2007 2:04 AM

The Camaro has nothing on the new dodge challenger. Plus by the time the Camaro hits dealers floors the Challenger will has a decent strangle hold on the market.

Troy

January 27, 2007 1:22 PM

Order of interest:

1. Challenger
2. Mustang
3. Camaro

..and I'm a Chevy guy.

The Dodge has incredible styling with modern handling... and a HEMI.

The Mustang was first and I like the look. I'd love to get my hands on a Shelby.

The Camaro is alright but doesn't do anything for me. I've never been much of a fan of the '69 perfering the 67/68's. (But really liking the Firebirds more)

..and that is what kinda pisses me off. I think the Pontiacs had better styling, handling and performance then Chevy. Why does the Camaro get to come back but not the Firebird?

d

February 18, 2007 7:31 PM

first of all guys you over looked the fact that the dodge challenger in the picture is the R/T model, which has the 6.1 425 hp motor, the srt8 is possibly announching a crate 392 hemi which in my book is f**kin aweasome, yes i love the z06 its my baby, but wait until they let out the srt8 model challenger pushing either 525 fuel injected, or 550 hp carb. now thats gonna be the pony to have, and who cares about the mustang everyone and there mom has a gurly mustang, they gotta use a blower (which the blower is a nice piece ) to keep up and they still cant beat the corvette so what if its cheaper the vette is better faster and sexier, so drop your gurl pony cars if you own them they are way over rated, i have a camaro, and my old man has a blown hemi 392 with a 6-71 blower, pushing 1000hp, and in my exp. i would have to say that them 392 hemis are some bad mothers, puts the camaro the mustang and the corvette to shame so i am pheining to see this new challenger srt8 hit the lot , thats my 2 cents worth

nicole

February 21, 2007 2:10 AM

My friend would like ot know where he could buy a car like this?

MikeD

March 30, 2007 11:17 AM

I've been a chevy guy for all my life and owning numerous ones without trouble like you hear these people who reviews cars. Looking for something sporty these days is joke unless you can afford a viper, etc etc. So when I heard about this thing I started looking and I would trade that new camaro for that challenger anyday of the week. I only wish I could have seen the Barracuda w/426 come back also. :)

BillM

March 31, 2007 11:44 AM

I can't believe that everyone is so stuck on the chevy or the dodge. If you paint them black and look at the side view of both, they look like the same car. Aside from the power output there isn't enough difference for me to even get excited about. Besides DCX won't even exist by the time either car is sold. Both cars will be fully equipped with cheap plastic galore. I think everyone is setting themselves up for a big let down. The good news is, if the Hemi can make my Durango that fast, it is going to scare the crap out of an unsuspecting Challenger owner. My new Durango is crap so I wont buy another chrysler I don't care who owns them. My vote, buy a base vette for 9grand more and get GM's 100,000 mile warranty.

Blake Bethers

April 11, 2007 11:19 AM

Theirs no comparison.Chevy always wastes the competition.

Blake Bethers

April 11, 2007 11:34 AM

Theirs no comparison.Chevy always wastes the competition.

Elizabeth Weaver

April 11, 2007 2:30 PM

this is hott who cares of the crap you guys say shut up and go on with it every one is getting kinda tierd of wthat ever you guys say duhhhh....jus be quite..

Newman

April 14, 2007 7:31 PM

I for one don't see what is wrong with liking both and hoping they both find their way to my garage. Here's for hoping.

Buddy Mastin

May 9, 2007 2:27 PM

The Challenger is by far the better car. The Camaro looks like something out of Mad Max II. The challenger should be out in a few months. I also hear there may be a Chrysler Barracuda coming out.

caetano

May 10, 2007 9:43 PM

manda a foto do dodge de lado

Chris

May 20, 2007 12:20 PM

I went to the Vancouver Auto show a few months ago as well as last years. The challenger was not at last years but the Camero was. There were maybe 3 people at it last year and this year there was nobody! The Challenger however took me almost an hour to get a good look at the thing cause there were so many people! My money is on the Challenger... Literally. I put a deposit on one allready!

A GM Fan

June 4, 2007 6:42 PM

I love GM, and the vehicles they produce. But just look at that Dodge! you have chevy with some futuristic look, but will never be close to production.. the dodge, it owns the Camaro! Just look at it! just think about all those high school/college kids that could never afford a Dodge Challenger back when it was in production. now those kids are adults with money, drooling over this thing. Because i am.

benfoxx

June 12, 2007 1:04 AM

I care about the big three equally, and while I currently own a Chevy Impala, I've owned one of each (Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet). I think Chrysler was dealt the biggest blow when Tom Gale left. He was the styling guru and I think if he were still with the company (and keeping the styling cues and, really, technological genius) we'd be looking at a Dodge Challenger that could live up to it's name.

kevin

July 6, 2007 10:44 PM

now we all no the challenger v.s the mustang &or the camaro no debate the challenger willout do them both in revers so.... r.i.p is all i can say

Robert

September 9, 2007 2:09 AM

My dad used to have a 1972 Dodge Challenger and he can't wait to buy the new Dodge Challenger. I'd would rather pick the new Challenger then the Camaro concept. The Camaro looks alright, but they should of done a better job on the camaro's curves... They should of made the rear look similar to a 1968 Camaro like I have, that is the best style of the Camaro that I like, this Camaro concpet looks abit boxy for me. The interior of the Camaro is awesome, better then the Challenger.

Ned

September 13, 2007 7:42 PM

The only people that say the retro thing is getting long in the tooth are not muscle car enthusiasts. Muscle cars are an American thing and it’s about time they were brought back. If retro wasn’t in, why are all the old survived muscle cars being bought up faster than you can say “Retro”? I think the person that wrote this article is way off. The only people that appreciate the GM design Camaro are the designers and non-muscle car enthusiasts. All American muscle car enthusiasts will be buying these cars in droves. I’ve personally heard many GM Camaro fans say they can’t stand the new Camaro concept, that it’s to far departed from the original, to futuristic looking, these are the people that will be wanting to buy these cars and all the Mopar enthusiasts are overwhelmed and can’t wait for the new Retro Challenger. Why? Because the kept the design faithful but modern and all American muscle. Take chances on designs and you have a good chance of getting burned. Give the enthusiasts what they ask for and you can’t go wrong. Give me a design that’s tried and true over the chance, going out on a limb, far fetched design any day. Leave the cookie-cutter, Si-Fi cars to the foreign designers and non-all American car buyers. You bring that prototype Camaro and Challenger to a muscle car show and watch the larger crowd gather around the Challenger.

Brian

September 18, 2007 6:42 PM

The 2009 Camaro is going to be amazing. It is going to destroy the Challenger and the GT 500. Can you say SS supercharged 550hp.

sprtsfan07

September 28, 2007 2:28 PM

The Camaro looks way too futuristic. But the Challenger stills holds the title for being the bad ass of the road! Thats why it's been in way more movies. 6.1 HEMI

Jason

September 30, 2007 3:10 AM

Ok I'm not going to say either one is the clear winner here they both look strikingly alike in many ways. The interior on the Camaro is something less then desirable but the lines on the exterior are amazing. The major down fall for both of the cars will be pricing. If GM and Dodge can match the price of Ford's Mustang they will be sure to sell many of cars but from esitmates it looks like these will cost a good deal more and that is not what americans are looking for currently due to a stagnant economy and lowest overall wages ever recorded after figuring in inflation. To be honset if these cars aren't priced favorably they will not last on the market long at all. As far as design goes I would but both; the Challenger has a more retro look which is beautiful and is reminisent of the 70's. The Camaro has also a bit of a nestalgic look if you skwint your eyes but blends nicely with a new revamp. Plus GM pulled the Camaro model specifically to take the time engineer a new concept to help with the sales when it was reintroduced. Hell of a business plan if you ask me. Overall though I think the Challenger is closer to production the the Camaro by a long shot. The Camaro will have to be redesigned on the dash and center console to be a lot more driver friendly after sitting in the concept I wonder how anyone can actually read the gauges on the center console. In short though good job on both companies for bringing back the cars that made America the car nation it is and giving a new identity to Muscle.

Jason

September 30, 2007 3:30 AM

In reference to my last post a good price range for them to shoot for is mid twenties for both cars if they ask more the $30,000 they will lose more then 50% of they market audience. I'm a financial consultant for a living believe me the demographics will destroy any sales if not met. With style comes price should not be the case but personally if they can't make them affordable I'll keep my 70' Boss and laugh at them. In the days of true muscle you could buy a nice muscle car at almost half the price after inflations rate are considered. My car was special ordered from the factory and is still less expensive after considering the costs of inflation my car was only 25,000.

soldaze

October 1, 2007 9:08 PM

the Camaro concept vehicle is the very first UGLY Camaro I've ever seen. I am almost 50, I am a mopar believer, but always admired the look handling of all the Camaros and Firebirds I had a chance to drive or ride in. And GM kept making them until very recently and they all looked good. Unlike Ford and the absolutely horrid mid 70's to late 80's Mustangs (II) Yes, they improved the engines later, but still butt ugly. And Mopar completely eliminated all their cool cars. So GM, why is your re-intro of the Camaro so BAAAD?? Give the redesign to the young, historically hip, insightful and educated designers and bring back the Camaro in a proper state!

ps. If I had the room and $$ I'd buy a Challenger in a heartbeat!!

Erwin

October 2, 2007 10:59 PM

The challenger sucks!
It lacks muscle and is just sooo plain

kyle

October 3, 2007 4:12 PM

the Camero looks like a hotwheels car.
the Challenger is SEX with its extremely clean lines and LED headlights.

98 lsgun

October 3, 2007 10:16 PM

I have never seen this much ignorance in just one room untill now. You people talk like the camaro might come out, it is coming out. The Camaro is going to suprise you people with the high hopes of dominating it. . You can go ahead and buy the dodge if you like the car for what it is. And that is a car you can keep garaged for the next 50 years! You think the plum crazy dodge is going to run that Camaro in the ground? Ha I hope its better than the charger srt8. Sad dissapointing car that is esp when my mildly modified 98-Z cam intake, exhaust, (auto) with 2.73's. runs away and leaves it. So to make a long story short it would be very a ignorant to say that the dodge is faster or better. The Camaro has only 25hp less than the overweight dodge, that is if Chevrolet isin't underating their engines. 400hp is the baseline V8 for the Z with the option of the Ls7. So if you want a fast good-looking fair priced car then buy the Z. If you want to go slow and not look good doing it buy a stang. If you want to go kinda fast and a car to blow that mullet in the wind the dodge is your car.

archie

October 6, 2007 9:51 AM

LADYS AND GENTELMANS HERE AND NOW AGAIN CHRYSLER DUSTED GENERIC MOTORS.!!!!!!!SAY CHEEEESE!!!!

sel

October 18, 2007 10:54 PM

Too bad they can't put some chrome on these cars.

maricela

November 15, 2007 7:23 PM

dang hell ya challenger im glad my dad is go n to get me one for my grad

damion

November 19, 2007 1:21 AM

Dogg.. you want to talk about copying styles??? Your 300 looks an awfull lot like a bently or rolls royce. Magnum looks just like a 300 that was made into a station wagon. Also, you have German owners now. Hell, Chrysler isn't even American. Concentrate on trying to pass Toyota in sales before making remarks on which cars are better.what are you guys...4th or 5th place and GM is at number 1!!!!! Why not just say the Germans have come out with a great looking challenger...to poop on!!!!

Arthur

November 19, 2007 7:51 PM

Actually, Damion, that's not entirely true. They used to have German owners, but not anymore.

As of August 3, 2007, Chrysler is now owned by Cerberus Capital Management. Daimler AG still owns 19.9% of Chrysler, but that's just to continue with the ventures established before the Cerberus acquisition.

As for passing Toyota, Chrysler has to get its house in order first, and that might include ending production of the Dodge Magnum.

As far as the Challenger is concerned ... if I had the money, I would buy one.

Beuks

November 22, 2007 11:50 PM

All I will say for the camaro is that it should be a fun car, but it's far to angular and ugly in the interior and exterior both. The gauges look Like they were printed on the inside of 1950's car hubcaps and the shifter looks like they stuck an egg on a vacuum attachment and polished it. Not to mention that it will continue to keep with the tradition of staying just below the power offering of Mopar, while remaining in the same price and weight ranges.

Jonathan Fitzgerald

November 27, 2007 2:04 PM

I think that your staement all those so called "superiors" are just editors of that popular hot rodding magazine they hate mopars because their alway trying to outdo them but they FAIL and then make up stories and that's why they banned the winged warriors at nascar in 1970 they were crying that their little chevs couldn't beat the HEMI and you can't beat it. The phrase is "That thing got a Hemi?" it isn't "That thing got a chevy cheverton?" the Bottom line is this will be outdone by the again by any Mopar.

Jeramey Broyles

November 30, 2007 2:41 PM

I think that Chevy has done it agin.Ford's and Doge's can shuve there little toys up there butts.The 08 Camaro is going to destroy the Challenger and the GT 500. Can you say SS supercharged 550hp!!!! I can, so bring it Fuged Over Rebulit Doges, Ford in short, and Dodge stick to pullin' cars cuse you suck at racin babby!!

Jeramey Broyles

November 30, 2007 2:42 PM

HEMI Challenger

December 6, 2007 1:21 PM

dear Jeramy Broyels have you ever heard of a fella named Richard Petty? because it looks like all you do is read popular hot rod magazine and actualy listen to that bullshit they are saying? I agree with jonathan This Will Be Outdone By Mopars Agian and chevy will build another car that's just as PATHETIC and Lose again

Get R Done

December 7, 2007 9:21 PM

The Camaro is just a car, while the Challenger is a legend of cars. By bringing the old style Challenger back, Dodge is bringing the "true" muscle car back. Retro-style looks like crap. The only school there is is old school.
Get R Done Dodge!

jlm

December 22, 2007 7:48 PM

the production camaro will be a disappointment that doesnt live up to the concept...like always with GM. Just look what they did when they brought the GTO back, wtf were they thinking? The Challenger production will be the concept and will be much more desirable. Challenger will also hold its value much better.

Tim Duff

December 23, 2007 2:18 PM

You idiots that think the challenger is a trump car, think again. Dodge, traditionaly has allways had the lowest re sale value of all the big 3 and has the lowest technology in they're entgines. I work for GM and I say there is a reason Chevy outsells Doge and Ford. Looks like there are a bunch of want to be motor heads on the Dodge side of the fence. The Camaro comes out in mid 2008 and you all will be eating our dust.

josh b

December 24, 2007 12:49 PM

i think the challenger looks like dodge get a pic of a n old challenger and rounded of the edges, it makes me think "child friendly", not that its a bad looking car, its brilliant, but they didnt put alot of work into the design but 30-38k, just lay out the other 7k and buy a vette.

the camaro on the other hand looks like the designers tried to design a car (with inspiration) not just tweak a 40 year old design, i dont think silver does the car justice, but i think it looks better than the challenger from the front, the back remindes me of a beaver

but i think when/if they both are in production there will be a jump towards american cars again 'cause this reminds
me of when the BIG 3 were making bordom mobiles in the early 60's and then what happened, muscle car mainia

i also think they both look better than a mustang, those thing are dang ugly.
(i hate ford in general but i want the man who designed this mustang to be locked up in a small cage)

jeff45

January 6, 2008 10:26 PM

I like the camaro exterior, but the dashboard looks impossible to read.

John W.

January 8, 2008 11:39 AM

Good lord, that is one gorgeous automobile. Sleek design, attractive interior, and elements of the first 1963 Camaro. A true instrument a great American Muscle.

BillyNYC

January 16, 2008 3:01 PM

I'm a camaro fan from the old school. The last one I owned was an 86 Iroc, black w/ a black gut. ell, I miss all of them and look fwd to buying a 2010 convertible!! I'm going to buy it in silver with black stripes, a black gut and torque thrusts. I cannot wait to drive it, wash it and wax!!
To those who give a rats ass what the author thinks and disagree, go buy a dodge then! It's an opinion piece just like all the previous comments! I'M BUYING THE NEW CAMARO CONVERTIBLE!!

Marc

January 22, 2008 5:46 AM

I love people on the internet who pose as 35 year olds and who are car experts because they read car and driver or anything they find on the net. Camaro > any dodge (except viper) the challenger is a copy the old one. also the new "HEMI" or whatever they put in those cars sucks. everyone sounds the same, why pay 38 for hemi when a vette is about 7k around the corner so much for a mopar legend.

Nat75

January 22, 2008 11:12 AM

Please... I have seen many pics of both cars and i also went to an auto show in St. Louis and had the privelage to really look over the challenger. Its an amazing car and i cant wait to get one. As for the camaro, its also an attractive car but has an awkward looking nose, none the less it just wont keep up on the strip!!!

breaunna

January 24, 2008 12:17 PM

how much is this car
its bad ass

ryan w

January 29, 2008 5:40 AM

why do people brag about the 425 horse hemi srt8 motor that are only gettin a limited number shipped out half u people wont even see that motor so i wouldnt really be braggin n i owned an 05 gto that put out 400 horse n i spent 20k less sorry 2 say but but srt saleen n roush r just overpriced crappy add ons ill stick with the top of the line gm motor anyday due to the fact top model will be at 40k n have more horse n why dont i see 2 many ford people in here talking up there pieces of shit hated fords since day 1 been gm since i got my first car so if yer gonna talk some shit bout the challenger being all this great go fuckin get one put it up against the new camaro when it hits n whoever kicks whose ass takes the throne but since u dont own one u have no room to talk

avalenz

January 29, 2008 6:43 PM

oh contrare tim duffy you can't even spell and your over here making outragous comments about the dodge challenger i'm not saying that i don't like the camaro i'm just saying don't be so arrogant.

2L82Pray

January 31, 2008 11:06 PM

The Challenger is a poor copy of the Magnum, a 4-door family car pasted with a nostaligic name to fool people with too many memories into thinking it's actually a sports car.

While the original pictures of the Camaro did make the nose look too bulky, the latest pics on the Chevrolet web site are pristine beauty incarnate! Chevy must have been listening. This car is lean, mean and gorgeous. If it performs half as well as it looks, I'll be first in line with checkbook in hand!

robinhood12

February 8, 2008 10:56 PM

Please dont you people have any thing else to do but bash americas long drawn fold in the automotive race? I praise all the BIG 3 for bringing back Exactly what america has always longed for POWER!!!! I dont pick on anthing that runs, but lets face it evetually gas will dissapear and we all will be driving a concept at one point.

jack

February 11, 2008 2:38 AM

first of all that looks like a piece of *&^% and doesnt even look like a camaro they just wanna make it look retro and missed it completely its just a wanna be mustang and the challenger is by far the best looking out of all the retro muscle cars of today.

t3271

February 18, 2008 11:32 PM

to all of you foreign car owning traitors, this IS WHAT REAL CAR LOOKS LIKE!!!You can buy a FORD (Found On Road Dead) or a MOPAR (Misc Odball Parts Assembled Ridiculassly)OR you can get a real car! Watch and learn as the new Camaro schools all of you!!!

Cody

February 20, 2008 5:45 PM

Camaros have always been way cooler than all of the other pony cars and this one is no exception. The new Camaros are the best since the 1st generation camaros, and anyone who disagrees is a frickin' idiot.

Pete

February 23, 2008 2:01 AM

ohh boy i dunno

2 fronts ends that im aware of this being the baddest of the asses

Lane

February 26, 2008 6:20 AM

I drive a camaro and I have to admit the challenger looks better. Going back to 2 doors is a good step for Dodge but, I definitely won't buy one because there is no standard transmission available. Nice try though.
It's interesting how both the new camaro and the new challenger are both going to be built in Ontario Canada. As is the existing 4 door charger. And, the last GTO came from Australia. I guess the mustang is the last real American muscle car.

birkus

February 26, 2008 11:33 AM

do you know how much horsepower the new camaro is? i think it is 450hp isn*t it

emile

February 27, 2008 2:45 AM

the chalenger is an ok looking car but dodge wasted zero effort in designing it. gm took the time to at least come up with a new and fresh idea. now i am a chevy guy but i love all 60s and 70s muscle cars including the 70 challenger. but weve already had that car dodge.people are saying the camaro dosent look like a camaro,but what is a camaro supposed to look like an 89 z28.chevy has superior engines to dodge and ford (including the trucks)so you all know the camaro will be significantly faster than a comparable mustang or challenger.pretty sure chevy will have to tweak some of the styling cues before the car comes out but i can guarantee that this car will out sell the challenger and run circles around the mustang.

mitch u.

March 2, 2008 11:26 PM

The Camaro looks awesome but I am partial to the Challenger. Camaros are a dime a dozen both newer and older models. You see 'em everywhere! They are tired. Get your hands on a classic challenger, and that's the sh#@. That's why the new Challenger will be the best retro so far. V8 hemi 6.1 liter, 445 horsepower. It's so badass they wouldn't dare offer it in a V6 unlike the camaro and mustangs. I think it's great that they are making retro looking cars. The more the better. The musclecars from the the 60's and 70's are incredibly goodlooking, loud and fast. In today's market smaller gas savers and with all the car companies trying to clone each other, these modern musclecars are a breath of fresh air! Keep 'em coming cause I don't have the time, money or patience to look for and restore an original classic. These new beasts are just what the doctor ordered!

Jaymac

March 6, 2008 8:13 PM

For all of you who are saying that the Challenger is more popular than the Camaro, Ill have you know that the projections drawn out by many critics and enthusiasts is that the Camaro will easily outsell the Challenger. In fact, I think that Dodge is doing a poor job advertising the Challenger...I had to go LOOK for Challenger. Given, this month the Challenger is on the cover of many magazines due to it going on sale recently, but the Camaro is most assuredly going to overshadow all of this come around next year. And by the way, for the guy who made the comment that the Challenger has made Camaro fans swoon over it more than the new Camaro, you are sorely mistaken...I think that the new Camaro is one of the most beautiful cars that I have ever seen and yes, I WILL be buying a Camaro. The guys at GM are on a roll with their performance cars. There has already been a heated speculation on how who will be victorious with the given powertrains and weights...guess what? The Camaro has been speculated to walk all over the Challenger, and I could see why with how the Corvette ZR1 trumps Dodge's precious Viper, which will be discontinued in the next couple of years. Even if the Camaro doesnt get the ZR1's engine, it will still weigh less than the Challenger and will still wind up with either the 430 horsepower 6.2 liter or the possibly even the 500 horsepower Z06 7.0 liter, not to mention other hand-me-downs from the Vette. The SRT8 Challenger is the supposed top-dog of the Challenger line up and has 425 horsepower. Hmmmm...yeah, I think that the Camaro is going to beat the Challenger out even with the "less" powerful V8 engine. I give kudos to Dodge for making the Challenger, and 425 horsepower is a lot of power, just watch your mouth when you try to talk crap about the Camaro. The Camaro will have the performance whether it be power, handling, or braking so no one can argue with that. As far as styling goes, those of you who slammed the Camaro are most assuredly not in the majority. Chevrolet would not have built this beauty if there wasnt a overwhelmingly positive reaction to it by critics and regular folk alike. The article was right, the Camaro did in fact out-do the Challenger at it's debut. It won an award at that show for best concept for gods sake!! So yeah, I think that the Camaro is going to have no troubles finding customers, thank you very much.

Kent

March 16, 2008 5:58 AM

The retro thing is NOT over-done. It's just F-I-N-A-L-L-Y being done right, thank God.

Some of the latest Mustangs are pretty awesome, but still falls way short of bringing us a modern version of an old musclecar. The Challenger and Camaro are both absolutely smoking. Thank you, thank you, thank you Chrysler and GM for finally doing it right.

The first production Challenger doesn't have a standard transmission, yet, but later ones probably will.

Oliver massini

March 20, 2008 5:34 AM

Ya id say the challenger pretty much kicks the camaros ass.Being a chrystler fan, gm is looking for the newer modern look where as the chrystler is sticking with the old school all american muscle with its shapeand styling one thing chrystler should've incorperated was a 6-speed transmissionoverall and a 392 HEMI craterather than the 426 in it

JOSE

March 22, 2008 11:07 PM

HA HA PLEASE THE CAMARO DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE, THE CHALLENGER WAS THE VICTOR BETWEEN THE TWO BACK IN THE DAYS AND IT WILL BE THE VICTOR NOW

Ace

March 25, 2008 4:39 PM

Always loved the Challenger but always owned a camaro or firebird because I like to be able to drive the corners.
Always wished they would have independent rear suspension like the vette. They finally did it!

May be a day late and a dollar short. Not sure if I want to drive a Hemi at $4.50/gallon.

Mark

March 26, 2008 7:56 PM

I don't think these responses should be a suprise for you. For one, it was the exact opposite, for one I watched the show on t.v, and all of the hype was of the Challenger. This broad and unreasonable statement is plainly bias. I'm a web serfer and all the websites are talking about is the challenger. Seldomly will I find one about the Camaro. The Challenger is more true to its original glory days model, and has a stonger drive train. If you ask me the true muscle car is the 08' Dodge Challenger, hands down.

Phil

April 2, 2008 7:37 PM

Everyone is talking about supping up the engine on the stock Camaro, but there is talks of the Chevelle. And no matter what people think about a car, whatever the buyer wants they will buy. So we can't say what will be better untill we see some sell numbers. We need to step our game up in America, we should not lose sells to Toyota and Nissan trucks. But I can't complain about BMW and Mercedes, they have proven what a car should be.

Anthony L Martin

April 6, 2008 9:25 PM

The Challenger is going to have more power than the pretty little Camaro sorry GM you will lose in the end.

Tuncay İnanc

April 8, 2008 10:56 AM

Bin schon einige Autos gefahren aber mit dem haette ich auch mal gefahren und so richtig ausgefahren . wer sich den kauft bzw.leisten kann wünsch ich dem jenigen viel spass!

a12ozbottle

April 12, 2008 9:43 PM

I like both cars but all this talk about the challenger has a better drivetrain or more power aggrivates me. The camaros drivetrain or horsepower rating has not even been announced yet, just rumors.

RJ

April 22, 2008 12:58 PM

the challenger is a much better and nicer looking car then the camaro!! and i dont agree with the people that are saying this car is going to appeal mainly to a crowd that is 35+ in age. I am only 20 and find the challenger a much nicer car, as do my friends. The challenger will have better sales then the camaro as long as the cars stay the way they are.

Kevin Passmore

May 19, 2008 9:45 PM

So... All ya'll think that the challenger is bad? Well, well, well. Obviously you've never driven a camaro. 425 horspower in a camaro would translate to about 600hp in a ford or dodge. Face it the real bad asses of the street are the Z's, The SS's, and the straight forward camaros. Ya'll think ya'll got what it takes to beat any camaro? I got a Yenko clone and a Z28 that will say different. I wont even bring my SS into the picture its not worth the time to start up just to whip all you chevy haters. Face it, Chevys the real car. Mustangs? Boy toys. Challengers? On the back of a wrecker. Camaros? In a real mans garage. Get a real car.... A camaro. Go play on some other page with your boy toys. This is for the people who drive real MUSCLE cars. Camaros. Enough said. The camaros rock. Everything else is in the rear view mirror.

justin

May 27, 2008 7:00 PM

well both cars are sweet. But i perfer the Camaro because it looks more futureristic and will stay out of the shop.

jerseyjoe

July 1, 2008 6:54 AM

No matter how you look at it, Mustang Challenger and soon Camaro, there will be a lot of heat in the street. To see them all at the drive in burger place is gonna be so sweet. My faithful 300 is going to have a new friend in the driveway.

GMDUDE

July 17, 2008 12:52 PM

FYI the camaro will have the same power as the SRT8 but for 10k less. Sucks to be a dodge fan! Oh and NOBODY has an aftermarket like chevy! Prepare to be owned challenger!

First On Race Day!!!

July 24, 2008 12:03 AM

first of all i'm not a dodge fan at all(but it's better than a foreign job!). the deal is though im sure the camaro is going 2 be very fast, but it looks like the begging of flying cars. don't get me wrong i love old camaros but this new camaro Is Not A Muscle Car and look nothing like a camaro should. like i said i'm not a big mopar fan but the challenger looks like a muscle car should, and i never thought in a million years i would say these words, but dodge has out done ford and chevy as far as looks go(which is 50% of what is important on a muscle car). p.s and to all of u out there that thinks old skool is bland and boring F*** OFF and go buy a civic or something, cause old skool muscle cars are THE S***!!!!!!!

ozzy

July 25, 2008 5:37 PM

I just purchased dodge challenger,
i got 2 words Holy s.

Kim

July 30, 2008 6:11 PM

I find the Dodge Challenger to be better because I'm not digging the new Camaro. I don't like the way that it looks and yea the old one was bad ass but the new one to me is ugly. The Dodge Challenger still looks like an old school Challenger...I want one so bad because it kicks ass and it's just perfect!!!!

Daniel

July 31, 2008 4:57 PM

The reason the Challenger will work is the reason many fans of modern cars think it will fail: because it looks so much like the original. Car fans are tired of American cars that look European. As soon as designers began taking their cues from Europe, American car design went down the drain. The Challenger will work because it looks different than anything else on the road today. Yes, Chevy created a new design, but it doesn't look like a muscle car as much as a space ship. That's why the Challenger will outpace the Camaro: because they listened to their buyers and fans and brought back old school. It's what Americans everywhere want and love.

doge rules

August 4, 2008 10:43 PM

i just got a dodge challenger and i raced a gt mustang i got up to 60 mph in 4.0 sec. so i thank the dodge challenger a kick the camaros butt any day. the camaro is wimpy 2 hp car!!!

Rip Van Rocket

August 8, 2008 11:18 PM

The Challenger is a straight up tough guy muscle car. The Camaro is nice if you want to compete with the chick in the Cadillac commercial with the "fuck me pumps."

Stephen

August 9, 2008 5:56 PM

Robin Perez (at the top) is a dumb bastard. The car in Dukes of Hazzard is a Charger, jesus christ. THat Challenger is boss, all time boss, nothing can touch it.

BuzzyFredrick

August 9, 2008 11:14 PM

Sorry GM - You lose - at 10 bucks a share and dropping. I hope you see the day you will will actually build the camaro. Looks like you're toast. Chrysler used their imagination to produce a retro ride(s) -especially Challenger - that has all the looks and feel of a classic. Cheers to mopar for building what people want. GM has lost the styling war - and now may not survive to see 09

Shannon Z

August 10, 2008 11:56 AM

Anyone in the Edmonton Area want to buy an '08 Challenger, 500 Edition? Can also have it shipped if you're not in the area. Gorgeous car, sitting in our showroom right now. E-mail me for more information...
szyha@derrickdodge.com

JIM SCHULTZ

August 11, 2008 5:37 PM

The camaro is a fact now, not some Hope or Dream. It will be on Showroom floors March of 2009 as a 2010 model. Test reports say the 6.2 V/8 in the SS model will make the Challenger SRT8 look like a Slant Six. (member those?) Keep your eyes open. Also Chevrolet plans to build enough of them so Dealers won't try to "Mark up the Price". Have you seen a Challenger on the showroom floor of some of these Dodge Dealers that have them already? Marked up to $70,000.00, Give me a break. Those that have seen it in person say if you were on the inside and didn't see the outside, you would think you were in a Magnum. Camaros the real Deal!! Gauges on the console, 19" and 20" wheels, big V/8 power or a 300 H.P. V/6 if you like. Lots of options,and colors. Even an RS model. Gotta love it. Can't wait.
Look for the Convertible in the year to follow. And even though its not exactly like the Prototype. You'll be hard pressed the find the differences. Go get yourself one !!

Humberto Cabrera

August 15, 2008 8:04 PM

the Chevy Camaro is my favorite car inside of a group of muscle cars that some of their is gone forever for example the "plymouth Barracuda", the "Pontiac Firebird"... I hope that the creators of theses mark to building again, now the new Chevy Camaro is a fantastic car but is necesary build a line cars of Camaro that be very much that a Ferrary or a Lamborghini so hurry for the Camaro and excuseme my english, I spike spanish because my englis is very bad

wayne

August 18, 2008 12:34 AM

the prices of 70's muscle cars are shooting through the roof which surely is proof that there is huge interest. dodge have done everything right with the challenger and i'll be getting one asap!

Heather

August 20, 2008 1:55 PM

AWESOME DUDE!How much is the car?

Natasha McMaster

August 28, 2008 1:31 AM

I wont lie, now that car is a turn on. I know a powerful engine and having that stick in your hand is amazing...now I have something new to look forward to. Time to get rid of the Mustang

David J.

August 29, 2008 3:27 AM

So many opinions, some know what they are talking about some don't have a clue. When my order comes in, it will be the HEMI CHALLENGER parked in my garage. To me it just screams muscle, the Camaro like someone said "a small version of the Batmobile". But that's just my opinion.

marty

August 29, 2008 8:00 AM

nice ride,maybe GM can make a stripped down version like the challenger thats strictley for drag race purposes.It would be great to see them go head to head on the track.I would say the muscle is coming back and hardley a fad.I dont think there were any trump cards played on the mopar.They have always had an ace in the hole with the hemi.

rafa

September 23, 2008 6:53 PM

please i want more informations about the car such the power,how much ,and options it have
thanks

CHRIS MARENCO

September 25, 2008 3:19 PM

THE CAR IS GRATE BUT IT NEEDS SOME NEW STUFF.

John Dale

October 5, 2008 12:22 PM

Hey Dodge RULZ you are a freakin iliterate, go back to Hazard county GA wherez you belowngs.

dannyboy33

October 11, 2008 9:17 PM

i am and always will be a chevy man and no matter what people have there opinions about what car fits them and their taste but hands down the camaro is the ultimate street car built on american pride and performance. the chevy camaro is tough,sporty,stylish, and sexy. the buzz on the street in 09 will be the camaro just wait and see... longivity and quality speaks volumes..so if you want style and speed over quality,durability,performance,and class then to each is his own.CAMARO OR DIE IN 09...PEACE!!

James

October 22, 2008 12:38 AM

First of all, if it wasnt for MOPAR i wouldnt be the gear head i am today. Proud owner and restorer of a beautiful 70' 340 Dart Swinger. I think chevy is running scared and so iis ford. Anyone seen transformers?? For god sakes! Challenger needs not to boast, for it, and we, all know it has and always will reign supreme amung the muscle car world. The HEMI was unbeatable in the big block world, the 340 was unbeatable in the small block world, and you CANT KILL A 318!!! Its really hard. Dodge, keep doin what your doin, its perfect. Chevy, the camaro is pretty, but come on, you can do better. Ford, i hate you, go die. Your engineers are retards.

Sean

November 3, 2008 12:51 PM

All I can say is the new challenger is butt ugly. Exterior and interior is pure crap. What a waste of money and time.

Mr. GM

November 6, 2008 1:28 AM

Okay ErikM3 and all you other clowns who think GM has it wrong... Consider this - if the Challenger is so great (albeit over-weight and therefore underpowered) then why is it only offered in an automatic? Chrysler's notorious reputation with automatic transmissions has me running for the Camaro on that note. True muscle cars are much more diverse. Your comment about the Camaro clearly being a concept because of the body lines... fairly similar to your Mercedes, only much more appealing (especially when the car will outperform your status symbol any day). I think that maybe there is a reason why GM is lined up to purchase Chrysler - perhaps there is a reason why your preferred auto-maker, MB, dropped Chrysler and their super-duper transmissions and failed electronics. Come on, if you're going to say something, at least have your ducks in a row. What are you, a geriatric nurse? My buick regal with $2000 in mods could stomp your M5 on pump gas. Then again, I bet you like paying $130.00 for an oil change. Keep it real and don't forget, they charge the sh@t out of you at the mini bar!

Alexander

November 7, 2008 12:49 AM

Ok, I have to say, despite what all you guys have said about the Camaro looking way too futuristic and edgy and whatever else, I think it looks quite damn good. After the 05 mustang came out, for me that was the best car available. Now, almost 4 years later, I look at the Camaro and it seems to kick the butt of the mustang's styling, simply because i've gotten used to it and it became very bland (albeit still nice looking). The Challenger, as well, looks excellent, and I love how large it is (actual rear seat leg room in a coupe, imagine that) and I would definitly buy one. If faced with the decision of buying a new challenger over a camaro, I would probably go for the challenger just because I like it SLIGHTLY better, and because the 5.7L Hemi on the R/T just makes me want that car. Bad. However, I do like the Camaro as well, and if Ford puts out a good 2009-2010 mustang (if they do) then the pony car war will be on again and I will enjoy the time that it lasts. How cool would it be to drive around town in a brand new challenger and meet brand new camaros and mustangs on the street? it would be just like back in the 60's! But the challenger is the one that really ignites the flame for me.

Rockfish

November 10, 2008 8:50 PM

MR GM wrote: "Okay ErikM3 and all you other REALLY SMART car guys who KNOW GM has it wrong... Consider this - if the Challenger is so great (albeit over-weight and therefore underpowered) then why is it only offered in an automatic?"

Hey GMenius,
Both the R/T and SRT are offered in 6 speed manuals you dumasss. And that cute little cammie "might" out run the Challenger in the 1/4 mile, but the Challenger will run that little sawed off midget off the road at top end on the highway. On top of that, EVERYONE loves to stare and gawk and give thumbs up to the Challenger and will be snickering at that little cammie. Your car and that little mustang can argue which is "cuter" and the Challenger will always be known as "The Beast". BTW, hows that GM stock doin today? HAs it ZEROED out yet? HAHAHAHHAH...

aaron

November 14, 2008 10:59 AM

awesome car but chevy went down hill with the volt but they dug themselves out of that pit with the camaro

dodge man

November 15, 2008 10:03 PM

dodge challenger may look better on the ouside, but it doesn't even come close to the caramo. the chalenger is just infearior to the camaro.

Chevy Boii

November 17, 2008 9:11 PM

Challenger is to heavy. The Hemi wont help when it comes to speed. The weight will slow it down, the turns will also be very bad.
On the other hand look at the Camaro, its gonna be fast. Its lightweight it might look to advanced but the regular Camaro Concept is going to be as fast as the 1999 Camaro SS. All i'm saying is CAMARO is going to be the best. [Afer the Vette ZR1]

joe renye

November 25, 2008 8:16 PM

to robin perez...for your information the dukes of hazzard used a charger not a challanger

Mandi

December 2, 2008 4:11 PM

that is so hilarious Joe. it was a charger not a challenger

Mason

December 4, 2008 12:19 PM

The air was def not let out when the camero came out. The camero is ugly and def does not suite Chevy. As for the Dodge Challenger way to go! Thank you for someone going back to the old school body styles and mechanics. Finally you realized you knew better back then how to build cars then now!

For whoever said the whold Dukes of Hazard car was a Challenger, well, you should be shot for not knowing what your looking at!
GO DODGE CHALLENGER!

DANA

December 9, 2008 2:30 PM

the challenger is totally better than the camaro. it's great that they brought it back, cuz it's hard to find them these days. my dad actually had a 70's white challenger and i loved that car. this new camaro looks a little too fake or more like a hotwheels car. it's neat , but challenger still goes all the way.

Derek

December 14, 2008 11:22 PM

the challenger does not touch the camaro in any category lets break it down, weight- 3741 pounds for camaro, 4140 pounds for challenger
0-60 time- camaro officially 4.6 but estimated actually 4.4, challenger low 5's
quarter mile- camaro 12.2, challenger 13.8
handling- the camaros lighter and has an independent rear suspension
interior- cmon now who can honestly say that the interior of the challenger is more innovative and better looking than the camaro's
PRICE- camaro ss 31,995 challenger SRT-8 42,000

my next car is.... Cyber Gray Metallic 2010 Chevy Camaro SS

Chris

January 15, 2009 11:45 AM

I like the Camaro, but i like the challenger more. But im not gonna hate on the camaro at all, it is beautiful art, and i do belive it will sell more then the challenger. Im gonna buy the 09 challenger srt8 though because I simply like the fact that they kept the circle headlights that say "Muscle Car" and just the overall attitude says new born Muscle. The Camaro does the same but its got a little to much curves for me to look at and i dont get the vibe of american muscle (a little futuristic and soft to the look). One thing i dont like is the grill of the camaro and the chevy symbol i hate that gold cross lookin thing its so ugly to me and doesn't flow with the rest of the car AT ALL!. They should give the camaro its own little symbol. I like the simple interior of the challenger cuz it say "straight biz no BS" the camaro's interior is nice too but doesnt say muscle to me. I like the raw look that the challenger has inside out, and nothing says muscle like the sound of a hemi. Im gonna get mines black on black with crome rims and black highlights on it. im gonna redo the interior to black on black too. Just straight raw. Might even have the exterior paint not candy coat but just dead flat. Well thats just my opinion. The is the faster of the too but im not sure its gonna purrr like the challenger and thats what people like most about muscle cars-is the purr.

Randy

January 22, 2009 4:59 PM

I really love the look of the new Camaro its a bad ass look yet sexy at the same time I just got my first camaro about two years ago and love it its a 2000 but like new got it from FirstChoiceAutoFinder its an online advertising company but they got lots of old cars for sale there www.firstchoiceautofinder.com hope one day I got the money for a brand new one.

CC Rider

January 24, 2009 7:11 PM

The title of the article is a little disturbing. I don't think one clearly "trumps" the other, however sharing the spotlight probably gave the audience a good opportunity to compare.

The Challenger's style is clearly the more retro of the two. Chrysler did a great job capturing all that was right about the original classic Challenger, while fixing any small issues. In addition, the world-class Mercedes independent rear suspension, Brembo brakes, 6-speed manual transmission and a 425 horsepower Hemi makes the car irresistable.

The Camaro, while having a few styling nods to the original 1960's models, is clearly more modern, animated and angular than the Challenger. Looking at both cars side by side, I believe the Challenger is unmistakable and has more brand & model identity.

One thing the Camaro may have going for it is Chevrolet's LS9 supercharged Corvette engine, which if used, will put some real punch into the car and might encourage Dodge to up the ante with a supercharged Hemi. Undoubtedly once it's released, we will see many shootouts between the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

Looking at all three, IMHO the Challenger wins in the styling department and Dodge should prepare a more potent powerplant to meet the LS9 threat head on. It would be nice to see a limited Vanishing Point edition in all white too.

S Jones

May 19, 2009 1:46 AM

I own a Dodge Charger R/T but I just placed an order for the 2010 Chevy Camaro SS.....oooooh I can't wait to get it! I like hot looking cars and I don't care who makes them. I just enjoy the rides. Loosen up people and have fun! LOL

Mike

June 7, 2009 2:40 PM

iI just bout a 2008 Camaro from www.firstchoiceautofinder.com and hands down Camaro is the BEST. When you drive the Charger it just doesn't feel near as good.

Andrew

June 21, 2009 10:28 PM

I love the late 1960's Camaro. Its a true American Muscle Car that will never be replaced. BUT the new Camaro just doesnt come close. Dodge did a good job by taking the old Challenger and making it sleeker and more modern in design. Camaro tried but it ended up looking generic. More like a Cobalt than a Camaro. sorry but the Challenger wins overall.

Leon T.

September 20, 2009 3:43 PM

As a bonified baby boomer at 58, I regret to say that the new camaro does not give me that feel of driving a time machine and needs to get a better front grill and awfull rear lights and revamp the the dash.Maybe then I could consider buyig it.In the time being I have bought an SRT8 and love all about it except the the modern mags which must go!

Leon T.

September 20, 2009 3:43 PM

Frank

June 24, 2010 9:23 AM

The Challenger Checkmates the Camaro Period! It was the 1st New Generation Pony Car The Mustang must play catch up in the Horsepower department to come close. The Dodge Challenger is a Powerful Beautiful Brute. It overpowers the completion in styling and interior size. The HEMI closes the deal with torque off the line there simply is not a better Muscle Car you can buy.

jaline

August 6, 2010 1:59 PM

chevy didnt want to sell me a camaro ,salesman wanted to know why i needed a 305 hp car. so i took my money to dodge and looked at the challenger which was a mans car, so i bought the Charger and now a hot chick riding in it. thanks chevy for making me buy a dodge charger. i totally love it. and you wonder why you are not selling as many cars as dodge...?